Biggest Badass Competition

This forum is for posting images from anime shows. Please read the posting rules before posting in this forum.
madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:24 am

Name: Makanouji Ippo. "Ippo"
Anime: Hajime No Ippo "The Fighting Ippo"
Weapons: His fist, speed and adaptability.

Ippo lives in a world where little children don't get to pilot huge mecha. They don't get to use "magic" to solve their problems, and they sure get hurt when you hit them. That automatically makes him tougher than most of the contenders here who inhabit shows that let them get shot, blown up and killed(!!) with no real consequences. He doesn't get 10 episodes to power up and change his hair color. He has to deal with constantly training to be stronger than the next guy, and takes his hits like a man. His girlfriend isn't talking the but word in the locker room is that an elephant roars whenever he takes his towel off, which other contenders can boast about that eh?

Have you ever been in a fight with a boxer? You don't want to, because when it comes to fighting they sure specialize in hitting hard. Hard and fast. Don't give me noise about whipping out this weapon or that weapon. It takes less time for his fist to reach someones nose than it takes to pull out a gun.

Growing up in a working family, Ippo loves his mother, and has worked hard for his whole life. He didn't want to enter the badass competition, since he's naturally shy and kind by nature but could use the prize to help out his mother and send her on a vacation to Okinawa.

Consider Ippo, hardhitting, with a soft heart.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Tenshi K. Tama
Org Profile

Post by Tenshi K. Tama » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:01 am

you know what I should have put Hotohori in the Mister anime and Sesshomaru in here.That's why I asked can we put two people.Oh well.
i'm going to save both of them for the most bishonen competion

Name:Spike Speigal
anime:Cowboy bebop
I never thought that there would be the day...when this this sig would be upgraded.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:13 am

Regarding these two coinciding competitions (Mr. Anime Universe/Mr. Anime Badass), I sincerely hope that the criteria for each does not end up being the same in the voters' minds. It might be helpful for those "in charge" of the competitions to clearly delineate guidelines for deciding what constitutes a Mr. Universe vs. a Mr. Badass. (Yes, theoretically the same character could win both, but it's interesting to note most Mr. Universe's are good guys, while Mr. Badasses run the complete alignment gamut). Still, it's much more likely that Mr. Universe can be a badass than Mr. Badass can be a Mr. Universe. (I'm still not sure why Alucard is a Mr. Anime Universe contender...unless it's on the basis of his uniqueness and strength as a character. For god's sake, he doesn't even have a swimsuit! I peeked through my Hellsing stuff [anime and manga] real quick last night to see if I could find any shots of Alucard in the buff to help his cause, but no luck. Sorry!)

Back on topic: I'm just concerned that having two separate contests will end up being null and void if strict voting guidelines are not set. Let's get a dictionary-type definition of badass, at the VERY least, so that we're all on the same page. Different people judging different characters by different standards does not make for any real competition.

Btw, Sanzo IS holier than all of thou. 8-)

Malificus
Dr. Malpractice
Org Profile

Post by Malificus » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:22 pm

Mr. anime Universe is not for good guys exclusively, if anything, it's more of going by the personality\appearance that everyone likes most. While I think this is just for Badasses, regardless of appearance. So while this is badass exclusive, Mr. Anime could concievably have Sanzo (Saiyuki), Shizuma (Real Bout), Robo-ky (Guilty Gear XX\X), and Momiji (Furuba) all competing against each other. I doubt anyone would see Momiji as a Badass, but Sanzo could be a Mr. Universe or a Badass. So basuically, The Badass competition is a co-ed event and more exclusive than the Mr. and Ms. anime competitions.

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:41 pm

Malificus wrote:Mr. anime Universe is not for good guys exclusively, if anything, it's more of going by the personality\appearance that everyone likes most. While I think this is just for Badasses, regardless of appearance. So while this is badass exclusive, Mr. Anime could concievably have Sanzo (Saiyuki), Shizuma (Real Bout), Robo-ky (Guilty Gear XX\X), and Momiji (Furuba) all competing against each other. I doubt anyone would see Momiji as a Badass, but Sanzo could be a Mr. Universe or a Badass. So basuically, The Badass competition is a co-ed event and more exclusive than the Mr. and Ms. anime competitions.
I never said it was for good guys, that's just kind of how it's turned out over there. My point was that, since you agree that Mr. Badass is more exclusive than Mr. Anime, it might be a good idea define the terms of that exclusivity, i.e. don't judge the two contests by the same rules (I'm talking about voters, here, I guess just don't trust Joe Q. Public to do a good job).

If we can't come up with general guidelines, we can at least get a handle on what is NOT acceptable in a badass character: whining, crying, having reservations about smacking other people around whether they deserve it or not etc. Sephiroth can be a bit of a whiner, after all (get over your ignomonious origins, already!) and Sanzo refrains from actually causing bodily harm to his traveling companions, even though he's constantly plugging bullets at them.

Here's a fun test of quality: who's more likely to be badass buying a carton of baby formula at the store? (I'm sorry, Sephiroth would fail miserably at this) If you're badass, you should be able to be this way all the time. Er, why am I picking on Sephiroth so much? Weird. hehe, it'd be fun to have the nominees take part in a talent contest to see who comes off the best (again, I just can't see Sephiroth handling grocery purchases with badass flair...). Perhaps everyone who ends up in the top 10 can come up with one of their own "talent" tests that the voters decide who passes and who does not. ^_^

AAGGHHHH!!

Err... Sanzo just threatened to shoot me if I don't stop being fussy. :oops:

O-Kagachi
Location: In your head, hearing you think. Please stop, it hurts.
Org Profile

Post by O-Kagachi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:23 pm

Gatts would be badass even when buying baby formula, cause he DOES have a kid....except its all demonic like. I mean, he has one eye, a mechanical left forearm with a cannon in it, and he carries a sword thats 6'5 long, and 17" wide, how would that not look cool walking into a store for baby forumula?

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:59 pm

That WOULD look cool, so I guess he passes that sure-fire badass test with flying colors. Oy, the baby formula test. Right...

O-Kagachi
Org Profile

Post by O-Kagachi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:26 pm

*Shamelessly points at video playing in personal Webpage*

watch it, and see just how badass Gatts is :twisted:

b00omshakalaka
Org Profile

Post by b00omshakalaka » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:37 pm

DriftRoot wrote:Here's a fun test of quality: who's more likely to be badass buying a carton of baby formula at the store? (I'm sorry, Sephiroth would fail miserably at this) If you're badass, you should be able to be this way all the time. Er, why am I picking on Sephiroth so much? Weird. hehe, it'd be fun to have the nominees take part in a talent contest to see who comes off the best (again, I just can't see Sephiroth handling grocery purchases with badass flair...). Perhaps everyone who ends up in the top 10 can come up with one of their own "talent" tests that the voters decide who passes and who does not. ^_^
Um...how does being badass have anything to do with buying baby formula? and even so don't pick on sephiroth! he can so pull it off :roll: ... i hope

O-Kagachi
Org Profile

Post by O-Kagachi » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Cause a TRUE badass can look and be badass even when doing the most sissy things.

Return to “Anime Screencaps”