Angel Beats!

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Sukunai
Org Profile

Angel Beats!

Post by Sukunai » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:02 am

Ok watch the show, and tell me, can you point to another anime that is this badly drawn, yet is expected to be actually taken seriously?

I've been harsh on some shows for all the idiotic levels of bouncing titties and pointless nude scenes, but hell, at least the people drawing the stuff can draw.

I hope they haven't drawn too many shows of Angel Beat yet, because someone needs to be emergency fired and they likely need to replace what they have already.

I was skeptical that the comments of early watchers might be too anal, but nope, the fail is so obvious on ep 01

Don't bother moving this to the other forum, I can't see this show having a future drawn like this.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.

EkaCoralian
Org Profile

Re: Angel Beat (new series) the worst drawn anime I have ever?

Post by EkaCoralian » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:12 pm

I dunno, I kind of like the animation in this. Anime has a thing about making up over-the-top plots and using animation like this, but its not like that's terrible. I mean, stuff like 11eyes bugs the crap out of me because of the character design (and I got bored with the plot), and Angel Beats in similar in animation, but you can also see that distinct unique aspect in the animation.
Or it could just be the really nice, shiny hair. *shrugs*

Whatever the case, I'm liking this animation. The only time where I've ultimately become annoyed with the animation of a Key anime is when AIR TV was released. I couldn't look at anime eyes the same way for a month. o_0

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:15 pm

I don't really know what you mean. Every series has its flaws, even some of the best. For example: Gode Geass-- their little lips and gangly bodies can sometimes be waaay too noticeable to be cool :? . xxxHolic: Their legs can be too long at points. And so on. Every series has its flaws.

As for this series... it has its moments. But honestly, it just looks like a game. I don't know what you're seeing that I'm not, but I really don't think it has that bad of an animation as you make it out to be.
There are many series that have worse animation, and all you have to do is search. Most will be the older series. For me it's DBZ. I don't have any dislike against the story or plot, because I've never seen it, but I've always questioned why people liked it because of that horrid animation :shock: . Just my opinion.
Although this isn't a thread to be dissing other series, I find it necessary to point out other horribly animated anime in order to defend Angel Beats, because I'm definitely not seeing what you're seeing, and I'm gonna need to see some screen caps soon to know what you mean xD
Image Image

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:04 pm

Taite, I get what you're saying...but you do know that Code Geass and xxxHolic both had CLAMP involved, right?
...and that odd proportions is CLAMP's style

back to the point, I haven't seen the first ep yet so I can't really say much of anything. The errors I've seen in the caps so far are far from deal-breakers though.

In the end, it's still a shame KyoAni didn't do this series

Taite
Org Profile

Post by Taite » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:37 pm

Kariudo wrote:Taite, I get what you're saying...but you do know that Code Geass and xxxHolic both had CLAMP involved, right?
...and that odd proportions is CLAMP's style
yeah, I know, but the animation for Angel Beat is also Key's style. I was just talking about the animation itself, not really the studios behind the works, but I get where you're coming from. Bad examples on my part

sorry, I'm trying not to be coming off too serious here, but it seems like i am =P
Image Image

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:04 pm

I thought the animation was nothing to fuss over. So what if Kyoto Animation isn't doing a Key Visual work? Maybe they felt that it would be inappropriate, and that PA Works (the same studio that did Canaan and True Tears) could provide a good feel for this show.

The animation is not the reason I'm not going to watch this show.
I'm not going to watch it because it sounds like Gantz, but not as good, and Gantz was pretty awful.
Also, lolthematrix

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:18 am

I don't find it to have low production values, but I did go "what the hell am I watching" the entire time. It's like Haruhi x Gantz + lame? I dunno. I like Angel. Will probably continue to watch at least a few more eps since historically I have been a Keyfag.

outlawed
Org Profile

Post by outlawed » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:20 am

The animation quality is completely subpar for a show with this kind of advertising budget. http://zepy.momotato.com/2010/03/29/ang ... n-yomiuri/

If you want to see what P.A. Works is/was capable of then watch True Tears. My god what has happened. At least the majority of Canaan was drawn nice. My worries are confirmed so far. This show could be a spectacular trainwreck and on the writing end will probably end up a huge debacle for Maeda Jun.

The Director is Kishi Seiji who directed Seto no Hanayome and Sunred so he is definitely not a scrub.

So far this show has all the earmarkings of a phoned in job to make some quick bucks. Subpar writing, terrible scene transition, and the most flagrant of all complete derivative character design. I watched Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou right after this and was immediately blown away even more just show shitty Angel Beats was =p

I think this show will demonstrate what I expected. Maeda Jun's success with Key Visual Novels does not translate to making anime scripts. And let's not forget unlike this show where's it's just Maeda Jun I doubt what made some of those Key VN so memorable was 100% Jun.

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:35 pm

Also perhaps they didn't want KyoAni because theres an obviously close resemblance between the lead heroine in this show and Haruhi.

EkaCoralian
Org Profile

Post by EkaCoralian » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:50 pm

Ishbalan wrote:Also perhaps they didn't want KyoAni because theres an obviously close resemblance between the lead heroine in this show and Haruhi.
Alongside Angel and Yuuki. I agree, some characters do seem a lot like Haruhi characters.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”