Evangelion

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Evangelion

Post by mirkosp » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:55 pm

This thread is for the discussion of the original TV series of Neon Genesis Evangelion, along with the Death/Rebirth and End of Evangelion movies, and the recent rebuild tetralogy.
Synopsis follows here:
ANN wrote:At the age of 14 Shinji Ikari is summoned by his father to the city of Neo Tokyo-3 after several years of separation. There he unwillingly accepts the task of becoming the pilot of a giant robot by the name EVA01 and protect the world from the enigmatic invaders known as "angels." Even though he repeatedly questions why he has accepted this mission from his estranged and cold father, his doing so helps him to gradually accept himself. However, why exactly are the angels attacking and what are his father’s true intentions are yet to be unraveled.

Joe88
Org Profile

Re: Evangelion

Post by Joe88 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:26 pm

still need to see the 2nd movie (rebuild) but all I ever find is bad theater rips

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:52 pm

Joe88 wrote:still need to see the 2nd movie (rebuild) but all I ever find is bad theater rips
We shall get to see it eventually

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:21 am

I got the 1.01 DVD today. The new english voices are pretty decent considering the original dub's QUALITY.
I do miss Gendo's old voice, though.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Just a few observations/ideas...

I LOVE rebuild so far, it has so much more of an epic feel to it and they're totally throwing us for a loop by mixing things up. One thing I didn't care for was the style of the cube angel. I think the thing that made it so menacing in the original series is that it did not transform shape to fire it's cannon. All the crazy 3d warping and stuff was a little overkill.

I used to really not like Asuka at all. I was totally a Reifag. Somehow though, in Rebuild Asuka is different enough that I've really grown to like her. Maybe her vulnerability is more apparent, and she's not a COMPLETE bitch to Shinji? So far I don't like Mari :/ We'll see...

( edit for Chez: yeah, I can see why they did it...I think for me the impact of the original was that after it had been defeated, they were taking it apart and there was blood everywhere... I went "organic!?! O_O" Also I love the way the new one's drill works )
Last edited by ZephyrStar on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chez
Not Mexican
Org Profile

Post by Chez » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:12 am

Welp just got to watching Blue Ray 1.11 Rebuild and one thing came to mind. Blood rainbows.

Other then that its a good retake on the series. Now to wait until spring for the 2.22 release.

I agree about the Cube 3D it was a bit overkill though it did make it more interesting then the floating cube that beamed things, it made it more organic.
Image I stream and stuff o.o

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:46 pm

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:26 pm

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:34 pm

I saw a thread on /a/ the other night... I was intrigued... I sorta raged... I expect it from Anno... you might not want to read this if you've never seen the show/movies, or if you've not seen 2.0 yet...
Spoiler :
Apparently the Rebuild movies are sortof meant to follow the events in the original series. At the EoE, Shinji chooses to reconstruct the entire scenario of the series over again, like a physical reality altering reset, but not a temporal reset. The results of this are, while everything is seemingly "back to normal," the sea is red. There is a streak of blood across the moon. There are imprint markings in the ruined city where the production Evas were crucified. Asuka's last name is Shikinami, not Soryu.

There is also evidence of this in the way Shikinami behaves towards Shinji in general. She's less hateful, more playful, not quite as much of a bitch, and Shinji seems to get along with her better. The thread pointed out differences between Asuka in 2.0, and Asuka as can be seen in the preview for the next movie at the end of 2.0. Asuka Shikinami's plugsuit is obviously different from the original series, as are the things she wears on her head. The ones that the Asuka from the preview wears are those of Asuka Soryu from the original series. She also bears the same injuries as Asuka Soryu from EoE. I think we have two Asukas here....the one Shinji wants to exist and thus created, and the one that existed previously, the one he was choking on the beach.

It's all in his head.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:44 pm

TL;DR of ZS's spoiler + my personal addendum.
Spoiler :
Theory: Rebuild of Eva is the COMPLEX MINDBLOWING SEQUEL OF EoE!

Alternative Theory: Anno is trolling the world. Again.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”