Fairy Tail

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.

Fairy Tail

Postby mirkosp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:45 pm

ANN wrote:Lucy is a 17-year-old girl, who wants to be a full-fledged mage. One day when visiting Harujion Town, she meets Natsu, a young man who gets sick easily by any type of transportation. But Natsu isnt just any ordinary kid, he's a member of one of the world's most infamous mage guilds: Fairy Tail.

I heard it's actually a bit on the "same-old-same-old" side, with story and characters pretty much unoriginal... which per se isn't that weird considering the genre, but I assume it will be getting more interesting and unique soon enough?
mirkosp
MODkip

Re: Fairy Tail

Postby xexyzl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:25 pm

Just looking at about 30 seconds of random footage in a mini-AMV made me go: "What is this piece of tripe?"

Very, very poor first impression. I probably won't bother checking it out.
xexyzl

Postby guy07 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:36 pm

One piece ...? :shock:
guy07

Postby Vivaldi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 am

It's basically one piece 2.0. Which isn't nessicarily a bad thing.

IIRC the Mangaka was an assistant under oda, so the art looks so amazingly similar.
<Kenzichu> HAHAHA!!
<Kenzichu> everyone died!
Vivaldi
Polemic Apologist

Postby FunStorm » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:09 am

Vivaldi wrote:IIRC the Mangaka was an assistant under oda, so the art looks so amazingly similar.

Finally ... I was thinking about why is it so all time.

What I like about Fairy Tail compared to One Piece is that it does not have 300 episodes :?
Image Image
FunStorm

Postby Bakadeshi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 am

I'll admit its pretty similar to one peice in alot of respects, So much I thought it was by the same mangaka at first ;p I've been following the manga for a while, and have been pretty hooked on it. Its too early to tell on the series, but eps one did follow the manga pretty faithfully, so I'm expecting this to turn into a fun ride. Basically if you like One Peice, you'll like this.
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck

Postby The Origonal Head Hunter » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 am

I've read like the first 3 volumes of the manga, and the impression its given me is One Piece with magic. It really has a lot of the same gags and character archetypes, and since I already get that from my monthly One Piece, I won't be going past volume 3.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english

Boredom.
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer

Postby Bakadeshi » Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

oh Aya Hirano is Lucy, I thought that voice sounded familiar :O
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck

Postby ZephyrStar » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Oh what, Aya Hirano, I'll watch :O
ZephyrStar
Master of Science

Postby Taite » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:50 pm

Whoa srsly?

Maybe I'll check it out :roll:
Image Image
Taite

Postby Bakadeshi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:09 am

I think the best way to describe this series, is a combination of slayers and Onepeice. Its got Onepeice's story arcs style where they get into some serious one on one battles between the characters, and the whole fighting to protecting nakama thing, but also throws in Slayers love of destruction and leaving nothing but mayhem in their wake ;p

And yes in my opinion fairy tail does get better later on compared to the beginning (as is the case with most shows/series like this), but it is arc based, so just like onepeice, naruto, bleach, etc, there is little central plot (its there, but not really the focus most of the time), but more story arc after story arc stuff, although it does run in a linear fashion. That is assuming that the anime does stick with the manga, which it probably will since fairytail is a pretty popular manga, and upset fans can be scary (as proven with naruto shipuden...)
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck

Postby Jasta85 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:37 pm

if this series sticks with the manga i'll enjoy it, if it decides to be a short 12 or 24 ep series and cut off with a random thrown together ending i'll be one of the very annoyed fans who will be cursing its creators.

however the first 2 eps were spot on for being faithful to the manga so i think this series will be a success so long as it sticks to that theme. i doubt it will be an epic anime like one piece but definitely an enjoyable one.
Jasta85

Postby mirkosp » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:08 am

Jasta85 wrote:if this series sticks with the manga i'll enjoy it, if it decides to be a short 12 or 24 ep series and cut off with a random thrown together ending i'll be one of the very annoyed fans who will be cursing its creators.

however the first 2 eps were spot on for being faithful to the manga so i think this series will be a success so long as it sticks to that theme. i doubt it will be an epic anime like one piece but definitely an enjoyable one.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a 50+ eps series, so the second concern should be no more. :D
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby Moonlight Soldier » Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:11 am

I've never seen One Piece, but I'ma sooo be following this. I love the colours in it and the characters are pretty cute. (Dude buddy is known for stripping! STRIPPING! I lol'ed so hard.)

When I started watching it all I could think of was Final Fantasy Guilds! + Slayers. hehe.
Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells

Postby Bakadeshi » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:55 am

First 2 episodes pretty much just introduced most of the characters, Looks like from the preview, and my fuzzy memory of the manga at that point, we'll see the beginning of the first story arc with eps 3 :O
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck

Next

Return to Anime Series Discussion