Monogatari Series

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Pas
のヮの
Org Profile

Monogatari Series

Post by Pas » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:31 am

Alright so they're going to do a bunch of series so they cover all the novels. Use this thread for the whole *monogatari franchise.

Nisemonogatari post under spoiler here, Bake's post further down.
Spoiler :
AniDB wrote:A sequel to Bakemonogatari. A black swindler Kaiki Deishuu, who once deceived Hitagi, returned to the town and spreads the incantation, which cursed Nadeko before. Koyomi's sisters Karen and Tsukihi try to capture Deishu but...
Updated for sequel. Original post under spoiler.
Spoiler :

"Bakemonogatari centers on Koyomi Araragi, a third year high school student who is almost human again after briefly becoming a vampire. One day, a classmate named Hitagi Senjōgahara, who infamously never talks to anyone, falls down the stairs into Koyomi’s arms. He discovers that Hitagi weighs next to nothing, in defiance of physics. After being threatened by her, Koyomi offers her help, and introduces her to Meme Oshino, a middle-aged homeless man who helped him stop being a vampire."

I've been looking forward to this ever since seeing the character design sheets a few weeks back, and then the quality of fanart being made. The first episode has finally released, and as to be expected from SHAFT, the visuals were positively stunning. Of course, no need to take my word for it. I'll let you be the judge and decide for yourself:

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4729 ... tari02.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/7892/b ... tari03.jpg
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4900/b ... tari04.jpg
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7065 ... tari05.jpg
Not sure how many shows this season I intend on following, but this, Aoi Hana and CANAAN definitely rank highly on my list. The series is based off the light novel, and has promising potential to be something more than you're typical gag-humour SHAFT creation, which in itself isn't inherently bad either. If the OP is anything to go by, we can be expecting some bloody nice action/fight sequences and possibly blood and gore. Who figured? The ED is a still artwork, which I'm assuming will be drawn by a new artist accordingly for each episode, and with supercell taking the lead for audio I have no real complaints about this. Overall a spectacular first episode, I can't wait for more.

Thoughts on the first episode?

EvaFan
Org Profile

Re: Bakemonogatari

Post by EvaFan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:07 am

I'm no artist mind you but the artwork is surreal... I know that goes without saying since its anime but thats just the first thing that popped into my mind even looking at it comparatively to other anime. I really like the dark orientation it has to it though.

I really like it. I watched it raw and was surprised at how much of the conversations (So you can learn a language by just listening to it over time apparently...) I understood but it still wasn't enough to make sense of the conversations as a whole. I haven't found any sub releases yet but I know a few groups that are working on it, just waiting for one to fricken finish.

Can't really say what my opinion of it is till i understand the dialogue more.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

EvaFan
Org Profile

Post by EvaFan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Eva-Fan wrote:I'm no artist mind you but the artwork is surreal...
Guess I should add that this is by no means a bad thing, in fact, it gives the show a more mysterious feel.

I gotta say now that I understand the dialogue and how eccentric everything is in this anime... plus the artwork... This could become an anime favorite depending on plot (I havent seen any VN's or read any Mangas for this so I don't know anything about it other then what I saw on the first episode). I hope they keep up the surreal animation style not to mention character developements.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:07 pm

Beautiful animation and choreography. This is Shaft's work at its finest.
I will watch this one to the end.

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Ishbalan wrote:Beautiful animation and choreography. This is Shaft's work at its finest.
I will watch this one to the end.
this

LivingFlame
Org Profile

Post by LivingFlame » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:10 am

I plan on checking this out once a quality sub is released. >_>
... yea ...

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:27 pm

So I checked it out.

Basically I'm infatuated with the art and stationery girl, therefore I'm totally sold. This series can happily continue to make no fucking sense at all, or make less sense, but as long as the art and our blunt, sexy-haired, weightless pencil-pusher remain, I'm gonna keep watching this :amv:

:up: to the first ep.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:47 pm

Also,
[20:38] <Otohiko> I also really like the part with the um, playing with pencil in front of face while talking
[20:38] <Otohiko> that would probably be inredibly annoying in an actual conversation
[20:38] <&Kalium> hehehe
[20:39] <&Kalium> Yes.
[20:39] <&Kalium> Pencil.
[20:39] <Otohiko> if I were that girl, I would've slapped that out of his hand at some point :/
[20:39] <Otohiko> and hey
[20:39] <Otohiko> don't even try, there isn't a second in this series that is NOT a freudian nightmare so far
[20:39] <&Kalium> hahahahaha
[20:39] <Orwell> If I were a girl, I would have put out
[20:39] <&Kalium> the shot of the banana peel?
[20:43] <Otohiko> Kalium: basically this whole series so far is about fetishizing the threat of castration, and I don't think anyone can argue with that >__>
and wtf noodles on my screen :|
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

LeapofFate
The Madvillain
Org Profile

Post by LeapofFate » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Otohiko wrote:So I checked it out.

Basically I'm infatuated with the art and stationery girl, therefore I'm totally sold. This series can happily continue to make no fucking sense at all, or make less sense, but as long as the art and our blunt, sexy-haired, weightless pencil-pusher remain, I'm gonna keep watching this :amv:

:up: to the first ep.
x2

I knew Shaft wouldn't disappoint me.

guy07
Org Profile

Post by guy07 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:51 am

SHE HAS COMMON SENSE?!?!?!? :shock:

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”