Saki

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
ehra2008
Org Profile

Re: Saki

Post by ehra2008 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:43 am

Speaking of things that need to be translated, the creator of those Saki parody comics is apparently also doing a series of illustrated mahjong classes featuring the cast of Saki.
Naruto Forever. Can't wait for a Naruto MMORPG

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:16 pm

Mmm, that could be good ^^

I need further help with basic hands and scoring, though I have already managed to play some nice games in three people :) Though in three people it's more of a Pon/Kan hunt, since you can't Chi from the player before you ^^

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:Mmm, that could be good ^^

I need further help with basic hands and scoring, though I have already managed to play some nice games in three people :) Though in three people it's more of a Pon/Kan hunt, since you can't Chi from the player before you ^^
I'd teach you but... I'm too lazy. :P
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:38 am

I lost many hours playing the official Saki mahjong mini-game here: http://www.saki-anime.com/special_game.html.

It uses the basic riichi ruleset (no extra dora tiles or special rules like in the anime tournament), and it's only one East round (dammed short). But it's a good way for a beginner (like me) to get a feel of the game. I use this document as a guide to the rules and primarily for determining the different yaku (and yakuman): http://mahjong-europe.org/files/riichirules_EN.pdf. There are some differences between Japanese rules and European rules (stated in the preface), but they are fairly minor, and the terminology is somewhat different (e.g. kan (JP) vs. kong (EU) and pon (JP) vs. pung (EU)).

The tough part initially is getting a yaku to call mahjong. Having a concealed hand and calling riichi is the most straightforward way, but getting to that point (tenpai) without taking discards is not the most easy thing to do. Unless you have Saki-level luck. Me, I have Kaori-level luck (i.e. beginner's luck). I always hope for a Rinshan Kaihou when I call a kan and I suck at strategy.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:04 am

Ha! I never was any good.

I know how to play.... I just... suck
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:07 pm

Willen wrote:I always hope for a Rinshan Kaihou when I call a kan and I suck at strategy.
I actually got it twice already, seems I get kinda lucky on weird hands ^^

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:45 am

this thread was better when it was about Akagi

awful show is awful

Nya-chan Production
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:22 am

Enjoying your flaming? :>

I am kinda interested in further progress. I doubt the story about Saki and her sister will be enough for the rest of the show.

Minimoto
Org Profile

Post by Minimoto » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:Enjoying your flaming? :>

I am kinda interested in further progress. I doubt the story about Saki and her sister will be enough for the rest of the show.
She'll make up with her sister and then the story will go on with her being lesbian with Nodoka.
Robert F. Young wrote:Day Before Yesterday I saw a rabbit, yesterday a deer, today you.

Ishbalan
Org Profile

Post by Ishbalan » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:30 am

Fail show was fail, and far inferior to Akagi. Toward the end I found myself skipping all the character development to get to the mahjong bouts, but the more characters that get emphasized, the more we need to explain their life stories and which girl we should imagine them fucking, and that equaled less mahjong per episode. We're pretty much guaranteed a second season, but we lose all the characters from the three other schools. New opponents means more character development, and we'll have to experience the same shit all over again. This show is utter crap.

I give 4/10.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”