Maria†Holic

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.

Maria†Holic

Postby Pas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:46 am

"The story centers on a sophomore named Kanako who enrolls in all-girls school because she has a phobia of men and wants to find her destined yuri partner. She meets a captivating freshman named Mariya who fits her criteria — except her seemingly ideal mate happens to be a cross-dressing sadistic boy."

Personally I've been looking forward to this ever since the anime was announced, and will be following this series til the end. Given that the show will be animated by SHAFT studios is a bonus for me really, as I've really enjoyed all their works up until this point, and I see no reason to think otherwise for this case. With a strong VA lineup and a good studio animating it, this may prove to be the highlight of the winter 08/09 season for me.

Thoughts on episode 1?
Pas
のヮの

Re: Maria†Holic

Postby Ishbalan » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:27 am

It's not even out yet.
Ishbalan

Postby angelx03 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:58 am

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... d-for-free

The plot though makes the yuri fan in me be utterly pissed off. :?
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby Pas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:14 pm

Ishbalan wrote:It's not even out yet.

Slowpoke.jpg

It was available for streaming quite some time ago actually, else I wouldn't ask what you thought about the first episode :roll:
Pas
のヮの

Postby The Origonal Head Hunter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:37 pm

I saw yuri and my heart jumped for joy. Then I read the rest of the summary.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english

Boredom.
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer

Postby Pas » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:48 pm

The Origonal Head Hunter wrote:I saw yuri and my heart jumped for joy. Then I read the rest of the summary.

Pas
のヮの

Postby The Origonal Head Hunter » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:55 pm

Pas wrote:
The Origonal Head Hunter wrote:I saw yuri and my heart jumped for joy. Then I read the rest of the summary.

Yeah, that's comforting.
RonnieDaking wrote:i like my anime like I like my women, from japan and speaking english

Boredom.
The Origonal Head Hunter
The Propheteer

Postby Chiikaboom » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:12 pm

Crossdressing?

Im slightly interested :<
Image Image
Chiikaboom
fecking glorious! desu~

Postby Ishbalan » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:36 am

I watched the first episode.
I guess I'm just not as in to yuri as much as all you guys are. It rather bored me.
Ishbalan

Postby Chiikaboom » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:17 pm

^
I dont even like yuri but i found the first episode to be quite amusing.
Image Image
Chiikaboom
fecking glorious! desu~

Postby Sukunai » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:21 am

I don't have a problem with yuri at all, but the show just didn't fly for me somehow.

I'm just unsure a series with a lesbian that has an initial crush on a 'girl' that is revealed to be a cross dressing guy in an all girls school is going to be enough for me.

The humour moments just weren't special enough.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.
Sukunai

Postby Ishbalan » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:29 am

Something else that turned me off was the very unoriginal "fake victim" tactic. If you want to get someone hooked on your show, you should do something more clever.
It was funny back in the GTO days, but now its just stale.
Ishbalan

Postby EvaFan » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:39 pm

Quite honestly, I thought the first episode was very good.

I like the animation, character designs, the main characters chibi personality... I'm expecting a good comedy anime from this.

Funniest thing is how the guy and his maid are so evily blunt with each other. I'm expecting alot from those two.

There isn't a heavy indication of story here but the comedy is good enough to cover for it. I don't think this anime was created with the intention of a heavy plotline. Just comedy. However this is just the first episode and with all romance comes a bit of drama. Who knows what they will do.

I'm definitely going to keep watching. If you analyze and compare in every way to every little thing to every anime you ever watched... It's hard to enjoy anything other then over-the-top anime.
"The people cannot be [...] always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to [...] the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to public liberty. What country can preserve its liberties, if it's rulers are not warned [...] that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants."-Thomas Jefferson
EvaFan

Postby angelx03 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:53 pm

Ishbalan wrote:I watched the first episode.
I guess I'm just not as in to yuri as much as all you guys are. It rather bored me.

Doesn't matter. I can tell you that most of the yuri fans are damn insulted with the synopsis alone.
ImageImage
angelx03

Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL

Postby LeapofFate » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:29 am

Eva-Fan wrote:Quite honestly, I thought the first episode was very good.

I like the animation, character designs, the main characters chibi personality... I'm expecting a good comedy anime from this.

Funniest thing is how the guy and his maid are so evily blunt with each other. I'm expecting alot from those two.

There isn't a heavy indication of story here but the comedy is good enough to cover for it. I don't think this anime was created with the intention of a heavy plotline. Just comedy. However this is just the first episode and with all romance comes a bit of drama. Who knows what they will do.

I'm definitely going to keep watching. If you analyze and compare in every way to every little thing to every anime you ever watched... It's hard to enjoy anything other then over-the-top anime.

this.

I'm totally going to keep up with this show.

:up:
LeapofFate
The Madvillain

Next

Return to Anime Series Discussion