Genshiken

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Genshiken

Post by paizuri » Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:22 pm

This is the official Genshiken discussion thread. Since seasons 1 and 2 are in the same continuity, they may both be discussed here.

Official website (japanese)

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:33 am

There was never a Genshiken thread? Unbelievable! And yes, I was too lazy to request for one...

Well, at the current episode (S2-4), it looks like this series is starting to shift gears a bit.

The three OVA episodes are IMO, required viewing since they introduce "otaku-hating" Ogiue (who may be unfamiliar to the anime viewers who don't read the manga). She's a focal character like Saki was in season 1. Plus, Kuchiki joins Genshiken from the anime club (where we were introduced to him in season 1) and events are set up for the S2 episode 4 (although S2 ep.2 touches on it also). It also establishes the the conflict between Ogiue and Ohno.

I'm really looking forward to episode 5. :D
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:35 am

Seconded on the OVA...I got more out of it than I did the whole first season, it was very enjoyable. I've still got ep 4 to watch when I get back from work today, looking forward to it :)

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:01 am

One couple set in ep4.Ok,who's coming next?
By the way,the opening of the second season features 2 new characters apart from the ones we know and who the ones who have been introduced in the OVAs...

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:49 pm

With such an interesting set up, why does this show Fail so hard. It's appalling how much potential they've slaughtered with this show, then I remember it's anime and who gives a fuck.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:59 am

Hahahaha,ep 5 with Ogiue was so much fun.
This girl's fantasy is running wild when it comes to yaoi...

Yarry
Org Profile

Post by Yarry » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:47 am

Full Metal Sempai wrote:Hahahaha,ep 5 with Ogiue was so much fun.
This girl's fantasy is running wild when it comes to yaoi...
Aww man. She's twisted :shock:

I had to skip a few scenes in this episode. I guess it was too "intense" for me :?

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:14 am

Episode 5 was GOLD.
Spoiler :
Ogiue's blush at overhearing Madarame and Sasahara's conversation outside of the clubroom. (What was she thinking? And what was she expecting to see when she opened the door? :o )

Kasukabe thinking that Ogiue was drawing pictures of Sasahara because of a more <s>fundamental</s> normal reason. Although I suspect she does know the real reason, but wants Ogiue to actually say it. (Oh, I'm sure she'd love to see Ogiue hook up with Sasahara too.)

Note the dominant/submissive* pecking order in Ogiue's fantasy of the Genshiken members (most to least/least to most):

(Kasukabe)
Kousaka
Kugayama
Tanaka
Sasahara
Madarame
Kuchiki

This is from:
Sasahara > Madarame
Madarame > Kuchiki
Kugayama > Madarame
Tanaka > Madarame (and by their conversation, Tanaka > Sasahara)
Kousaka > Sasahara (and by the events of the scene, Kasukabe > Kousaka)

You'll notice that the list also goes from least to most otaku. I put Kugayama above Tanaka since in that scene he's clearly dominant and I'd think Ogiue would have more respect for him as a fellow doujinshi artist and hence have him higher on the list. And where's Ohno? Well, she barely makes an appearance in Ogiue's fantasy and while sharing some hobbies (reading yaoi manga), their disagreements on some subjects makes Ohno a non-character. Plus, she's female and this is yaoi, so she'd be a plot point anyways.

* Normally, one would use the seme and uke terms here but Madarame and Kuchiki are both uke in Ogiue's bath scene and obviously, Kuchiki is the submissive one there.

BigFattyPlus
Org Profile

Post by BigFattyPlus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:23 am

When I first watched his series, it made "FINALLY" realize that I, too, and an otaku. I love it, the way the club works. And how they get that poor kid in the beginning, so embarrasingly funny, especially when I realized that O would have been doing the same thing, except much more obviously. I don't care if people see me '"reading" doujins. Heck, even my mother knows, though I make it a point NOT to read them infront of her, lest I see them be chucked in the trash.
"Suffer the little ones, for they may yet rise up and beat you seenseless." Druid's Call, from Magic: The Gathering

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:26 am

Episode 6 is another winner!
Spoiler :
The tables are turned on Ogiue: the guys start talking about eroges (hentai games) and it leads to a conversation about her and eventually what kind of character she would be in an eroge. And unlike Ogiue's yaoi fantasy about the Genshiken guys where the real-life models don't (so far) know about the existence of the story, this time the subject is around to overhear the fiction as it's being formulated. Remember, curiosity killed the cat... ;)

Ohno is slowly pushing Ogiue to admit to also being a yaoi-loving otaku. I'm beginning to believe that she's enjoying getting a rise out of Ogiue. What a scary face Kanako!

You know that this is Ohno's tough-love, and like everyone else want's Ogiue to open up about her otaku nature. Ogiue and Ohno would be great friends if Chika would just admit to herself and everyone else that she is also an otaku.

Ogiue's reactions to being in the sea of otaku and embarrassed expressions are so adorable. Especially when she lapses into using her tohoku accent. The ending scene with Ogiue blushing (even the tops of her ears were red!), stammering and switching accents was sooooooo cute.
Looks like we're in for some drama next episode...

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”