Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei

Post by paizuri » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:24 pm

This is the official Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei discussion thread.

Official website (japanese, has Flash)

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:55 pm

This is a new anime series directed by Akiyuki Shinbo with animation done by SHAFT. And you can figure out that this is comedy series. But unlike his previous comedy works like Pani Poni Dash and Negima!?, this is more of a dark comedy tale of a teacher, Nozomu Itoshiki, who's ridiculously depressed and despises the world. The first episode started out with him trying to hang himself until a cute girl named Kafuka Fuura stopped him. She's a total contrast him in which she's blooming with lots of hope. Of course she can be a little dense considering she thought the teacher was trying to get taller. Hell, she mentioned that's what her parents tried to do! :lol: :shock:

There are a few recognizable gags here and there like the "changing blackboards" thing, but the way they censored the fanservice is so damn FUNNY; they basically covered the "tasty" moments with some picture of bald guy who's expression changes depending of what's covering! :lol: :lol:

The color pallet goes for the old film style (like something out of the early 1900s), but it doesn't skimp on the darker moments. You can say it looks like something out of CLAMP's xxxHolic. The OP sequence is basically a running old film strip with flashing credits while the ED sequence is just flat out creepy! It's safe to say the style seems to border on what Shinbo used to do in his darker works like the Soultaker but a bit more subdued.

Luckily this series will only last 12 episodes so hopefully this won't get skimped half way through (he's seems to drop the ball in the 24/26 episode series). Really cool stuff! 8-)
ImageImage

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:13 pm

I'll have to look into Soul Taker, but this show is great. I like the animation style too, though the quality could have been better, unless that was just the fansubbers fault. I would have preferred a different/no censor for those scenes, but it works I guess.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Shinodude
emodude
Org Profile

Post by Shinodude » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:00 pm

I saw the first episode and it was pretty entertaining

angelx03
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:11 pm

Oh wow, Episode 2 was just......wow!
Spoiler :
- So the teacher and Kafuka were able to get a hikikomori named Kiri Komori out of her room and make her go back to school. This unfortunately led to Kiri to reside in various parts of the school!

- Later the two of them dealt with Matoi Tsunetsuki who's extremely obsessive to her ex-boyfriend to a point that she stalks him. Stuff happens (including the teacher's comment that if you really love the person, you should commit suicide together :lol:), and Matoi ended up having the hots for the teacher and stalks him (plus a string of other stalkers).

- There's also a scene of Kitsu going a bit nuts over trying to cut a strawberry-topped cake evenly among a bunch of people that keeps on coming. :lol:
Man, that Kafuka has some weird way in looking at the "positive" outlook of these characters to a point that she doesn't believe them to exist except in news stories and such. I thought the way she interpreted Matoi as her way of showing her "intense love" was hilarious. Why am I getting a feeling Kafuka has some really dark secret that's she keeps on repressing? :roll:

On the blackboard side, I found this amusing!

ImageImage

aragami_frog
Org Profile

Post by aragami_frog » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:13 pm

It's VERY hard to watch this series cause I kept having the pause the first episode so I could read what was written on the chaulk boards LOL
You can't spell Slaughter without Laughter

Her mouth said no, but her eyes said yes. However her pepper spray also said no.

spacekase
Org Profile

Post by spacekase » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:42 am

I'll give it one more ep, but this show is proving a bit too Japanese (puns, references, etc.) for me...

angelx03
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:24 am

But c'mon! You get go wrong with an anime series that makes fun of suicidal people, stalkers, and hikikomoris (though Kiri might turn out to be the creepiest yet cutest one yet)! :o
ImageImage

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:38 am

*sigh* dammnit....yet another one added to my list :)

angelx03
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:50 am

Bwahaha episode 3! :lol:
Spoiler :
Only in this series would you find a cute girl named Maria who's been stashing illegal immigrants in her home, and she still manage to be a charity case to all of her classmates! And not to mention the foreign exchange student Kaere Kimura has a split personality between her Japanese counterpart, and other foreign parts (and not to mention being ridiculously blonde and she wears strawberry panties). For some reason she reminds me of that blonde singer from the Idolmaster game.
This series is so wrong.....in a good way. 8-)
ImageImage

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”