Speed Grapher

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Speed Grapher

Post by paizuri » Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:47 pm

This is the official Speed Grapher discussion thread.

Official site (english)
Official site (japanese)

Killuan
Org Profile

Post by Killuan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:48 pm

Among all the ways to describe Speed Grapher, the word normal never comes up. In the show’s scarred world, normalcy is a distant and melancholy dream. No, to express the essence of Speed Grapher, you start with words like twisted and depraved and go from there. And that’s the appeal—the show is a plunge into the darkest, foulest depths of human greed, lust and obsession. You don’t watch Speed Grapher; you experience it.

Saiga’s death fetish is just the beginning of his long list of abnormal traits, yet he truly is the least disturbed character in the series. And since Saiga filters everything through his camera, he gives the viewer enough distance to digest and understand Speed Grapher’s parade of depravities without becoming overwhelmed. The show takes morbid joy in showcasing its freaks, from the businesswoman with a fetish for gunplay to the piano instructor who collects the arms of young girls, but through Saiga’s eyes, it becomes more palatable.

The source of all this horror is the Roppongi Club, an underground den for the rich and powerful to indulge their worst and most base urges with complete impunity and anonymity. Saiga infiltrates the club while on the trail of a series of grisly murders, and there he discovers obscenity after obscenity before meeting the club’s “goddess,” a beautiful girl they claim has the ability to grant any person’s deepest, darkest desire.

Saiga becomes obsessed with uncovering the mysteries behind the club and its power over the girl, who is an innocent and frightened teenager underneath the costume and several layers of hypnosis. To her, he represents freedom, and their attempts to see each other again are the driving force behind Speed Grapher, woven in between scenes full of perversion and dementia.

Speed Grapher takes the concept of “guilty pleasure” and brings it to a new level. Some fans might shy away from owning a series that showcases the lowest forms of humanity, but if you can stomach its worst moments (and even enjoy them), Speed Grapher makes a great addition to that “other” DVD collection, the one you only show to the kind of friends who are willing to share a glimpse into the dark depths of human depravity.

In all honestly I enjoyed it.. This is by no means for Younger audiences... They may not show nudity, but its very explicit in what its trying to disgress.. whether it be sex, rape, mutilation. Speed Grapher has it all. Which pretty much negates the very small probability Speed Grapher ever had of becoming an addition to AC's "M" rated anime. that does not change the fact that this anime was nicely accomplished, and ide reccomment it to just about any one who can bear its dark tale of human animosity. The ending was Top-Notch which also leaves you feeling nice, instead of the typical "saikano" which almost hypnotized me into driving a nail straight into my skull.

Final Verdict: 8.0/10

Flame-X
Org Profile

Post by Flame-X » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:29 pm

This is my 2nd favorite anime because it perfectly displays how money cannot buy happiness.

Oh not to mention, Suitengu is the best anime villian. ^^

Killuan
Org Profile

Post by Killuan » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:41 pm

Suitengu was pretty cool.. Evil, yet managed to show some sympathy along the way.

Hawk-Eyes Mihawk(One Piece)
Hisoka(HunterXHunter)
Are probably my two favorites.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”