Cardcaptor Sakura

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:11 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
Bleach_lover wrote:i have never watched it. but have read it...they had it on kids wb?????!!!!!

i love that channel but never knew that THAT show was on there.....wow what rock have i been hiding under?????
The Cardcaptors version was on Kids WB for the 1st season, but I didn't see much about the 2nd season. I think they didn't finish the 2nd season on Kids WB, but kicked it "upstairs" to Cartoon Network at some point in the initial airing.

I had wondered if any of the channels out there (particularly those with Geneon/Pioneer affiliations, like [as] or Encore) were going to try and carry the original Cardcaptor Sakura at some point. It'd be interesting to at least see The Sealed Card pop up on Encore Action some night out of the blue.

I wouldn't count on seeing the original version on US broadcast anytime soon. The show has a lot of themes which, while common and harmless in many anime apparently tend to upset alot of people.
1 - Tomoyo's crush on Sakura (it's girl girl though, so maybe..)
2- Her brothers 'relationship' with Yuki.
3 - Her friends crush on their teacher, and his inability to deal with it.
4 - Little girls as the main character, without being all butch and tough.
5 - Little girls home alone while the single parent works, apparently without any emotional scars from being alone.
6 - Her brothers 'ahem' relationship with his past teacher
7 - The brash boy who actually seems to like Yuki
8 - The brash boy, who isn't the main character

There is probably more.. but that should be sufficient

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:21 pm

Not only that, the uncut TV series is sub-only which pretty much kills any potential of being on TV (unless it premieres on International Channel or something).
ImageImage

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:25 pm

angelx03 wrote:Not only that, the uncut TV series is sub-only which pretty much kills any potential of being on TV (unless it premieres on International Channel or something).
I never thought of that. It's still better than 80% of the stuff that I see though.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:36 pm

angelx03 wrote:Not only that, the uncut TV series is sub-only which pretty much kills any potential of being on TV (unless it premieres on International Channel or something).
A good question on that issue: Why wouldn't the sub-only version be aired? It would just be like watching any other foreign film.

In context, what is the difference between anime being aired Japanese with Subtitles and other Asian films that are sub-only and aired on cable all the time?
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

panda-chan
Org Profile

Post by panda-chan » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:40 pm

Cardcaptor Sakura is one of my favorite anime. But I think Nevada made it horrible!!! The dub wasn't cute as CCS was suppose to be. They made it into something like Pokemon, which is okay but CCS isn't suppose to be LIKE THAT. CCS is a cute series that usually attracts girls mostly, some guys as well, but the majority is girls.
What made me so mad was when I heard Sakura's english voice. I seriously wanted to gag, she sounded like some spoiled,prissy brat. When in Japanese, her voice is sweet and adorable!! Another thing, I hated how they cut all the SakuraXSyaoran parts. That's what the sub all boy-ish like. It pissed me off. I mean, boys at my school were into "Cardcaptors" when they liked Beyblade and more boy-ish anime.
And that, was a sign. I stopped watching Cardcaptors immidiently when I found out about the REAL CCS. Luckily, in Mexico, they aired the Japanese version. No episodes were deleted, no scenes, they even had the original openings and endings (except the language was in spanish of course). So, go Mexico!
The series already ended in Mexico quite a long time ago. Plus, they also aired the 2 movies on Cartoon Network (in Mexico). Nothing was taken out, it was all how it should be. And the spanish voices weren't that bad, not at all actually. Sakura's remained sweet and nice as it should be and Tomoyo's was high-pitched as well.
Cardcaptors should have NEVER been aired in my opinion.

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:34 pm

panda-chan wrote:she sounded like some spoiled,prissy brat.

I hated how they cut all the SakuraXSyaoran parts.

Cardcaptors should have NEVER been aired in my opinion.
All true. Of course, without having known about the American version I'd have never thought about the original version either. My wife started off by watching the Cardcaptors on saturdays... till I found the originals.

The changeup of the storylines to appeal to young boys instead of young girls has always bemused me. The show seems perfectly targeted the way that it is.

It's really cool that it was dubbed in Spanish! How would you compare the spanish language dubs to the original? Voice acting aside, do the honorifics and relationship complexities hold up in spanish? In english, the addition of the -chans and -kuns help out if you're familiar (or at least used to) the highly structured relationships. How does spanish accomplish this?

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”