Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Post by paizuri » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:41 am

This is the official Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya discussion thread.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:57 am

I have to say, this series is by far the most surpised hit I have ever seen (you should seen the number of Haruhi avatars that are populating that fansub forum)! I seriously knew absolutely nothing about this except that Kyoto Animation was animating it. And thank goodness because the first two episodes were unbeliveably hilarious, and they didn't have to rely on Japanese puns and/or overexaggerrated visual expressions; the comedy is mostly on witty dialouge along with Kyon's monolouge. Combined with sickly gorgeous animation (especially that dance sequence in the ED where each movement was KEYFRAMED; no use of 3D cel shading or other cheap trick) and very catchy music, this may become comedy of the year and probably beyond.

Now about the first episode, it is by far the most unique 1st episode I have ever seen. The whole episode is basically a cheap ass film production filmed on the spot with a use of a camcorder (let's see how many people can relate to that :wink: ). There's even a badly sung OP song, hideous BGM which seems to be played from a MIDI player, and really horrible special effects (I mean REALLY horrible). Of course this needs to be seen!

Now for the 2nd episode,
...it pretty much started from the beginning on how Kyon met Haruhi. At first she didn't care about anything except on aliens, espers, time travelers, and other wierd stuff. Though later on Kyon talked to her more which lead to her to open up a bit. Whether this is a good thing or bad thing, you decide because later on Haruhi decided to open up her own club thanks to the little conversation they have about clubs. The club is now called the S.O.S-dan which according to Kyon, pretty much anything can happen since Haruhi is in control! :shock:
And now some cross advertisments melange made in that fansub forum:

ImageImage

Yeah, if you haven't noticed, the original character designer for this series is indeed the same one who did Shakugan no Shana. :P
ImageImage

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:48 pm

I literally fell out of my chair laughing at the first episode. This may or may not have something to do with the fact that its broken and will do I'm guess 70-80 degrees in any direction except for the back, but its working on it.

This show is great amv material if you ever wanted to do anything with the mentally ill. I've got plans for it anyhow. It's definitely the most unique thing I've seen in anime, and my only objection is that I'm not a fan of the bunny outfit.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:56 pm

ROFL @ eps 1
I've never seen such a horrible home video before in my life lol... the dialuge going along with it had me laughing throught the entire episode. great stuff. watching eps 2 now ;p

doughboy
Org Profile

Post by doughboy » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:56 pm

:lol: This show is greatness. Thanks for the heads up.

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:51 pm

"AHAHAHAHAHHA!!"

That pretty much sums up my initial reaction to the first two eps. Dammit, this show has an addicting humor to it. I wish the whole thing was already done so I wouldnt have to wait.
Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Psygnius
Org Profile

Post by Psygnius » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:08 pm

hehe, agreed, I liked the first episode a lot. Made me laugh quite a bit.

"Wait, you want me to shoot this?!"
RATATATATATA
"Ah!"
CUT

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:35 pm

:lol:

I just noticed something awesome! Go to this official webpage. Then "Select All", and you'll notice the number of episodes this series is "planning"!
ImageImage

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:47 pm

Either 10 or... a unprecedented number of anything involving video in a series except for maybe frames.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Psygnius
Org Profile

Post by Psygnius » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:22 am

15498!? (as the top of the page indicates after 1-2, lol.)

I like how the website is made to look like the club site, and characters are listed as "Members", cute and creative.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”