Texhnolyze

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Texhnolyze

Post by paizuri » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:29 pm

This is the official Texhnolyze discussion thread.

Past threads include:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/phpBB/v ... hp?t=47649 (ending question)

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:36 pm

First off, has anyone actually seen this besides me and maybe one or two others? Anyways, I though there were some pretty interesting philosophical/societal statements, or at least am putting them on the show. I think there's some interesting points for discussion if one doesn't mind reading what will happen.
spoiler wrote:First the whole live in absolute peace and die a meaningless death after living a similar life, or go to hell, portrayed as a negative, to live actively and naturally. As far as I understand the japanese have a tendency to repress being expressive and living 'loudly' unlike americans or other western cultures. Basically the message would be how important it is to actually live your life, instead of just always repressing anything you might feel that would upset another or be considered inappropriate by others. If you don't live life to the fullest, you aren't living at all. So what about Doc though? She lived fully, exploring a interest in actually living, and yet in the end still killed herself off. No matter what, is it it impossible to actually escape the confines of your society?

Of course, one could just look at this as how the japanese are emo.

Then of course, the other question with christian ties, if one lives in hell/sin where do you go. Is this peace correct as it is implicitly enforced, or should we live freely as we choose.

For the two others who saw this, what was the Shapes/robots rooting themselves into the ground all about. To think for a long time may provide deep insight, though, only possibly if your only by yourself, and can't even move, plus, wouldn't decay and nature eventually sweep you away? Your efforts would be futile.

Also, is there any meaning the caste system they have? Were the makers just poor emo's? Wwas with the chair? Are the outtakes right? And what was with the quotes repeated by the radio?

To answer basterd!!, Ran was the voice of the city, though why Onishi could hear her, just because of the legs, doesn't make much sense to me. As far what was the voice of the city, I would almost put it on par with the christian god/society commanding them, though that's just a guess.

I'm sure I've more to rant about to myself in this thread as I'm working with the show. And why does all text below the quote warp?
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

banksie
Org Profile

Post by banksie » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:25 pm

Orwell wrote:First off, has anyone actually seen this besides me and maybe one or two others?
I get the feeling that Texhnolyze is an underappreciated gem of a series.
Anyways, I though there were some pretty interesting philosophical/societal statements, or at least am putting them on the show. I think there's some interesting points for discussion if one doesn't mind reading what will happen.
spoiler wrote:First the whole live in absolute peace and die a meaningless death after living a similar life, or go to hell, portrayed as a negative, to live actively and naturally. As far as I understand the japanese have a tendency to repress being expressive and living 'loudly' unlike americans or other western cultures. Basically the message would be how important it is to actually live your life, instead of just always repressing anything you might feel that would upset another or be considered inappropriate by others. If you don't live life to the fullest, you aren't living at all. So what about Doc though? She lived fully, exploring a interest in actually living, and yet in the end still killed herself off. No matter what, is it it impossible to actually escape the confines of your society?

Of course, one could just look at this as how the japanese are emo.

Then of course, the other question with christian ties, if one lives in hell/sin where do you go. Is this peace correct as it is implicitly enforced, or should we live freely as we choose.

For the two others who saw this, what was the Shapes/robots rooting themselves into the ground all about. To think for a long time may provide deep insight, though, only possibly if your only by yourself, and can't even move, plus, wouldn't decay and nature eventually sweep you away? Your efforts would be futile.

Also, is there any meaning the caste system they have? Were the makers just poor emo's? Wwas with the chair? Are the outtakes right? And what was with the quotes repeated by the radio?

To answer basterd!!, Ran was the voice of the city, though why Onishi could hear her, just because of the legs, doesn't make much sense to me. As far what was the voice of the city, I would almost put it on par with the christian god/society commanding them, though that's just a guess.

I'm sure I've more to rant about to myself in this thread as I'm working with the show. And why does all text below the quote warp?
To relate the series to Christian concepts is a mistake I think, the series makes several very clear and explicit references to Buddhist theology and thinking. In particular Kohakura tells us pretty much point blank that Lukuss is the Hell of Repetition. You also need to consider the style and design of the Shapes who fit the description of pretas quite well., as well as the description of the Class and the surface world being celestial beings.

It all fits into the central Buddhist concept of samsara or the wheel of life. Texhnolyze is heavily mired in the idea that humanity is finishing its time in the realm of the living and is moving on to another realm. Yes this does mean that the human race, as we know it, is dying out. Yet with death always comes rebirth.

At its core the series is about illustrating the Buddhist ideal of how to live and the ways in which each faction has failed to reach that ideal and ultimately doomed themselves. Doc kills herself because she has invested herself too much in her work and consequently become too attached to it. Consequently when that work is shown to be valueless, as far as the Theonormal are concerned anyway, she simply can't cope. The Theonormal themselves seem the closest to having got it right, living in a detached but tranquil manner accepting their fate. Which is why their existance is shifting to that of celestial beings.

The shapes rooting themselves is them preparing to endure and give witness to the next form of life to arise.

As for the voice of the city and Ran. Well we learn that the people of Gabe believe the raffia flowers to be the reincarnation of the dead they bury in the fissure. Raffia is also the crucial component that makes Texhnolyze work meaning that you literal have to use the souls of the dead to give your artificial limb life of its own. When you combine this with the knowledge that symbolicly foxes in Japanese legend have often been the conveyors of messages from the Goddes Inari.and are thus heavily spiritual animals then you can draw a few conclusions.

Ran is a messenger of sorts from the spiritual realm, this is what gives her her precongative abilities even though it is a flawed skill. Her connection with the spiritual world also allows her to communicate via Texhnolyzed limbs which is what gives Onishi his voice of the city. She has been using both abilities to try and guide the city away from the darker futures she gets glimpses of. In many ways I think a good argument can be made that she symboloicly represents the accumulated 'dead will' of progress, that striving to learn from the past and use the knowledge acquired by our ancestors to guide our way into the future. Her skill is limited and while she acheives a lot of short term success she is in many ways responsible for building affairs to the point that a cataclysmic event becomes inevitable.

Anyway just a few thoughts on the series. I've put a fair bit of my analysis and thoughts online here :-

http://www.khantazi.org/Rec/Anime/Index.html

Have a read if you are interested.

crimson_nightmare
Org Profile

Post by crimson_nightmare » Sun May 07, 2006 1:39 am

texhnolyze is an excellent series in my opinion all because of its darker setting. I think it is looked harshly upon all because of the few elements that make it so great.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”