Fate/Stay Night

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Fate/Stay Night

Post by paizuri » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:42 pm

This is the official Fate/Stay Night discussion thread.

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:57 pm

Woot, cross-promotion! Click on the poster if you want a glimpse of what's to come! 8-)

Now for episode 1, well there not much to spoil here in terms of plot progression. But just in case, I'll put up the tags.
It mostly an introduction the characters, though the first few minutes did show a really nice battle scene between what looks like Saber and Archer. We got to know Emiya Shiro who has the ability to see the internals of any object; very useful for repairing broken things. He lives with two girls: Sakura who's at first your typical cute, nice girl (for now, I think), and there's Fuji-nee who's Emiya's teacher who's pretty hyperactive and gets pissed off if she gets called "Tiger" for some odd reason (it's about time we have a comic relief teacher who isn't all busty and such). There are a few moments that happened like Rin summoning Archer and the mysterious gas leakage and homicides in the town.

The OP song is rather interesting since it's a remix (though in my opinion, its a much better remix since it isn't scratchy and off key) of the original PC game opening song (the song is LEGIT since it's from the official website). The ED sequence is appropriately soothing as well. Heck, most of the music from Kenji Kawai is appropriate in certain scenes, and it did a good job expressing those scenes. I was afraid that Studio DEEN is going to choke on the animation especially on the action scenes (when it comes to animating some TV series, they tend to go to the cheap :? ), but so far it's very dynamic and surprisingly fluid on certain places. Hopefully this will last for the next 23 episodes.

It's a pretty slow start, but the episode did a good job showcasing the main characters. Considering this is going to be a 24 episode series, the characters will hopefully be fleshed out well as well as having the plots be BETTER adapted from the PC game. This has potential.
:D
ImageImage

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:04 am

I liked Tsukihime [up to the ultra-tragic Omni-was-born-to-hate-it ending] but hey, I hope this series can live up to the sheer ferocity that Lunar Princess did...

I like ferocity in my anime and the epic sounding intro definitely kicks rear end... :D
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

angelx03
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:21 pm

Alright, episode 1 was the slow, introduction episode. Episode 2 is the grabber episode; the action scenes seriously went up the notch.
What happened is that while Emiyo Shiro was cleaning the archery dojo, Rin and her servent Archer were battling against their first opponent Lancer. Archer and Lancer put up a hard fight, but then Shiro noticed the battle. Lancer noticed Shiro as well and left the battle to kill him (they're not supposed to be any witnesses during the battle).

Lancer succeded.

Then Rin came and used her magic jewel to revive Shiro back to life. Shiro became dumbfounded on how he survived and went back to his place. Rin and Archer just realized that Lancer will know that Shiro is alive so they quickly went there, but Lancer got to Shiro's place first. Shiro tried to defend himself against him, but Lancer cornered him again. Just as he is about to kill him, a magic circle appeared and a blonde-haired warrior named Saber came about. Saber was supposedly the most powerful servent there is so she was able to repel Lancer off the vicinity. The episode ended where Saber asked Shiro whether he's her master.
I have to say, the action scenes were unbeliveably dynamic and just a joy to watch. Archer put up a good fight with his double daggers, but Lancer is a serious badass! He takes no shit to no one, and shows absolutely no mercy. Next episode let's see what Saber is capable of! :P

If you thought the first episode was boring, this WILL change your perspective! Go watch it NOW! :o
ImageImage

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:01 am

just got ep 2
time to watch...

:shock:

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:30 am

Ok, just watched it.

It's one of THOSE shows... You know, the one where you get mad cause you HAVE to wait for the next ep to see what happens... [ala Bleach and every other strong continuity anime in existance]

But DAMN Saber's hot. Urge to hump swordwoman rising... :D

At any rate, ep 3 can't come out soon enough to satisfy my thirst for violence and sex0rs...

Then again, bah... :lol:
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

angelx03
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:39 am

OmniStrata wrote:
But DAMN Saber's hot. Urge to hump swordwoman rising... :D
Ohhh, wait until Rider gets introduced! :twisted:

And probably more Rin pouting for not getting Saber to be her servent. :roll:
ImageImage

O-Kagachi
Location: In your head, hearing you think. Please stop, it hurts.
Org Profile

Post by O-Kagachi » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:24 pm

Rider scares me, in a good way. Aside from that, she is majorly hawt from what i've seen, even though we havent seen her in the show yet.

angelx03
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:31 pm

THE MOST ACTION-PACKED EPISODE HAS FINALLY COME!!! :o

Ok, that's sort of a lie for episode 3.
The fight between Saber and Lancer (and then later Archer) only lasted a few minutes, but it's seriously freakin' sweet! Lancer nearly beaten Saber, but then retreated becasue Saber figured out his "True Name". Throughout most of the episode, Rin brought Shiro to Kotomine Kirei who's going to explain him the rules of the War of the Holy Grail.
If you're curious about them, you can check it out in this blog post since the blogger did a good job simplifying them. Next episode, a new battle against Ilya and her servent Berserker! :P

I thought I was going to be bored with the later 2/3rds of the episode, but the music by Kenji Kawai seriously kept me awake and made me more attentive. It's very important you get the show's concepts down!

Now here's one aspect of Fate/stay night that might prove to be interesting especially for you who likes legends and historical figures. Each of the 7 servents (Saber, Lancer, Archer, Berserker, Caster, Rider, and Assassin) has something called a "True Name". The names represents the servents' past famous warriors throughout history (and yes, these people are REAL). The servents must keep their True name a secret from their enemies or else their strengths and weaknesses will be revealed. The same thing goes for their weapons which they're called the Noble Phantasm; they must keep them hidden unless it's absolutely necessary. This episode revealed one of the classes True Name, and you can check it out in that blog site I linked.

I have to say, this is one interesting and facsinating approach to your normal shounen action tornement battles mixed with your usual PC game elements. I'm starting to see why this series is getting a lot of buzz. :D
ImageImage

Kalium
Sir Bugsalot
Org Profile

Post by Kalium » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:45 pm

angelx03 wrote:Now here's one aspect of Fate/stay night that might prove to be interesting especially for you who likes legends and historical figures. Each of the 7 servents (Saber, Lancer, Archer, Berserker, Caster, Rider, and Assassin) has something called a "True Name". The names represents the servents' past famous warriors throughout history (and yes, these people are REAL).
Some of the others are fairly obvious, if you think about it and consider that Fate/stay night draws on Western mythology. Example: what's probably the best known sword in Western mythology? Who is wielded it? Then, what Western mythological hero is known for being stronger than everyone else?

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”