Planetes

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
paizuri
Org Profile

Planetes

Post by paizuri » Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:18 pm

This is the official Planetes thread.

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:57 am

I really liked this show, the way the characters were portrayed worked for me. In particular, I like the way that the characters developed over the course of the series.

Toward the end, I was honestly not sure what was going to happen or how it would end.

Any thoughts on the show?

The idealistic main character
The show is filled with surprisingly well done visuals.
When she learns that she has to wear a diaper in a space suit.

dcdeveloperx
Org Profile

Post by dcdeveloperx » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:34 pm

This thread needs a bumping because Planetes is one of the best series to come out in the last few years. Dont just watch the fansubs, get the recently released region 1 dvds as they show it in its beautiful widescreen format. The series has some really good character development as you really care about what these characters go threw and how it changes there lives.

I even did a video to it recently ( Stellar )

Volume 1 and 2 are already out and reviewed
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc ... s/3976.php
http://www.animeondvd.com/reviews2/disc ... s/4194.php
and Volume 3 comes out tommarow (10/11/05)

Again I HIGHLY recommend you watch this series as it is truely one of a kind.[/url]
Newest Video: Alone

someperson
Org Profile

Post by someperson » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:46 am

Big fan of the manga, so I was quite happy to learn that there was an anime series for it (with decent ratings no less).

I was a bit disapointed with the first volume since there really wasn't too much that had to do with the plot and most of the episodes had kind of a cliched feel to them. At least the animation was good.

I was pleasently surprised by the second volume, though. A little more character development, an actual plot developing, and more events from the manga were incorporated into the series.

As I mentioned in my other comment, good (change that to 'excellent') animation. It's really awesome that Sunrise was able to smoothly execute the floating in low gravity settings. I cannot begin to fathom how difficult that must have been to draw and animate while making it look natural. Not to mention the scenery (ex: sun rising overthe earth).

Unfortunately, I cannot comment on the third volume (as I am now a poor college student).
Your life is incomplete if you haven't read Blade of the Immortal
Ctr+ Alt+Del
Bubble wrap

Willen
Now in Hi-Def!
Org Profile

Post by Willen » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:35 am

This series is really picking up some. The only disappointment in the US domestic DVD release is that volume 4 did not come with a slipcover like the 3 previous ones. I looks out of place next to the rest on my shelf. And the keepcase that it came in was pretty cheap -- a tab that keeps the case closed broke so I had to change it with a spare one.

According to sources who have watched the entire series, in the later parts the story only get better.
Having trouble playing back videos? I recommend: Image

madbunny
Org Profile

Post by madbunny » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:47 am

Willen wrote:According to sources who have watched the entire series, in the later parts the story only get better.
There are definately some surprises to be had toward the end. I won't spoil it, but more than one of the main characters has something really messed up happen to them. I was honestly really surprised by the sudden brutal realism of it.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:39 am

Hands down, one of my top favorate series ..... truely amazing ..... :D

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”