Last Episode of Noir [Spoilers]

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
The Afrochiapet
Location: you know...that place with the...erm...walls and the door?
Org Profile

Last Episode of Noir [Spoilers]

Post by The Afrochiapet » Tue May 24, 2005 11:32 pm

As mentioned above, this thread DOES contain spoilers, so read at your own risk.

Well the ending of Noir turned out to be a pretty happy one (even though most of the show was pretty dark). Altena is dead, Chloe is dead, the Soldats appear to be broken up, and Mirielle and Kirika both walk off into the light (despite the promise of killing). A pretty happy ending.
Or was it?

If paid close attension to, at the very end of the episode, gunshots can be heard when they show a picture of Mirielle's watch.
What could these gunshots mean?

Some say it represents the two ladies kinda showing off their trademark gunshots.

Others say it was the two killing even more Soldats, possibly continuing the series.

Or perhaps...it was the sound of them killing one another?
As said by Kirika, she had nothing else. Would Mirielle really go back on her word?

What do you think it means?
I'm not crazy, the voices told me so...

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Wed May 25, 2005 11:45 am

I think it was symbolic of the two characters putting their pasts behind them by firing the final bullets needed to kill their pasts and let them move on with their lives.

I really can't see them killing each other because that would negate the entirety of their efforts up to that point.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed May 25, 2005 12:10 pm

I didn't interpret those two gunshots as literally happening in the show. I think it was just the show's way of signing off; one gunshot for each girl.

Why would they kill each other 5 seconds after smiling and talking about going home to make tea?
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Thu May 26, 2005 6:22 pm

How about the idea that one or two of the Soldats they walked away from shot both of them dead?

(This is perhaps the most straightforward answer, but the most logical when you see the ending. Does anyone really think that the Soldats would leave Noir alive when they are at their weakest?)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Fri May 27, 2005 12:59 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:How about the idea that one or two of the Soldats they walked away from shot both of them dead?
They were no longer Soldats. The whole Soldats thing died with Altena. I honestly think it was meant to be a completely happy ending, with the exception of Chloe's death, since she was somewhat of an innocent.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri May 27, 2005 2:00 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:
GloryQuestor wrote:How about the idea that one or two of the Soldats they walked away from shot both of them dead?
They were no longer Soldats. The whole Soldats thing died with Altena. I honestly think it was meant to be a completely happy ending, with the exception of Chloe's death, since she was somewhat of an innocent.
And by innocent, you mean she's killed countless people.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Fri May 27, 2005 2:08 pm

paizuri wrote: And by innocent, you mean she's killed countless people.
NO YOU'RE WRONG :x
By innocent, I meant that she really had the mind of a child and was simply Altena's pawn.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Fri May 27, 2005 3:53 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:
Er, yes, there would still be "Soldats", although from the beginning they weren't the same ones as the "idealized" group Altena believed in.

The Soldat leaders who are in power are still in power at the end of the series. They are still the "unseen hand" that guides humanity -- even without Altena's guidance. (In fact, by helping Mierielle to find Altena, they were just using her to do what they could not: kill Altena.)

With Altena out of the way, the last vestige of the ancient past were Mierielle and Kirika -- the reincarnation of Noir. With them dead, the last challenge to their power would be gone and their existence would remain hidden once again.

So, yes, those shots would logically be them being killed at the end.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Fri May 27, 2005 4:28 pm

So...after spending 26 episodes showing just how invincible these two are, they end up getting ganked off-camera by some faceless shadowy powers with their own guns? That doesn't seem very logical to me.

If you want to follow the belief that there are still functional leaders of Soldats around, then a more likely conclusion would be that Kirika and Mireille who are the true Noir, then decide to accept the mantle of that title and go about cleaning up the rest of the corrupt Soldats organization. Not the other way around.

But even that seems unlikely since the closing shot is of Mireille's watch. That watch symbolizes her past and her unwillingness to let it go during the series. The fact that she leaves it behind seems to indicate that she doesn't want to continue being an assassin, but instead wants to close that chapter of her life and go forward.

Honestly, I think those two shots were a cheesy gimmick put in by the director to make the show seem more open-ended.

Zalis
Org Profile

Post by Zalis » Sat May 28, 2005 4:42 am

I don't want to think that Kirika and Mireille were killed like that, so I think they just spun around and capped some of the Soldats guys that were standing by the car. What do you want to bet that Madlax has some similar hook at the end?

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”