Which ep of eva does shinji linten to his mp3 player...

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.

Which ep of eva does shinji linten to his mp3 player...

Postby The Floyd » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:14 pm

I havn't seen eva in a while but I'm pretty sure that there is one ep where all he does is listen to the same song over and over.

Any takers?

Thanks!
The Floyd
"I wich I had spel cheeking."
User avatar
The Floyd
Darwen Uhword Runherup
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: The Wall

...

Postby O-Kagachi » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:15 pm

Episode 2, The unfamiliar ceiling
Image
Image
User avatar
O-Kagachi
 
Joined: 12 Nov 2003
Location: In your head, hearing you think. Please stop, it hurts.
Status: You made Kurumu cry =/

Postby Scintilla » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:30 pm

It's an SDAT player, not an MP3 player.

</nitpicking>
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Postby GloryQuestor » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:44 pm

Scintilla wrote:It's an SDAT player, not an MP3 player.

</nitpicking>


:lol:

He listens to the SDAT player constantly in a lot of episodes. Episodes 2 and 4 are probably the ones where you see him play it most often, but he's probably listening to it in bed every night.
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
User avatar
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Status: Moved to a new town, looking around.

Postby The Floyd » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:03 pm

Thanks! (what ever the hell an SDAT player is...)
The Floyd
"I wich I had spel cheeking."
User avatar
The Floyd
Darwen Uhword Runherup
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: The Wall

Postby Scintilla » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:46 pm

I believe it stands for Super <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape">DAT</a>.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
User avatar
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
 
Joined: 31 Mar 2003
Location: New Jersey
Status: Quo

Postby Otohiko » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:49 pm

Heh, I recall when these things used to cost quite a bit. My dad had a portable DAT player years ago; the thing cost him a fortune.

Not in 2014 though, I suppose :roll:
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby The Floyd » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:21 am

Scintilla wrote:I believe it stands for Super <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape">DAT</a>.


I stand educated
The Floyd
"I wich I had spel cheeking."
User avatar
The Floyd
Darwen Uhword Runherup
 
Joined: 04 Feb 2005
Location: The Wall

Postby GloryQuestor » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:39 pm

Otohiko wrote:Heh, I recall when these things used to cost quite a bit. My dad had a portable DAT player years ago; the thing cost him a fortune.

Not in 2014 though, I suppose :roll:


At first, I was surprised they thought S-DAT would last well into that year, but then you have to think that the Second Impact occurs in 2001.

At the time they made Evangelion, CDs were still in its infancy, and no one had even considered DVD. Even though disc media could have been the future for Eva (and turned out to be our future), it's most likely that the cataclysmic destruction brought about by the Second Impact changed all of that.

By 2014, due to the loss of resources and major cities (not to mention these Angels that keep attacking :roll: ), kids probably weren't in jobs and couldn't afford to get anything high-tech like today.
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
User avatar
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Status: Moved to a new town, looking around.

Postby the Black Monarch » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:39 pm

The Floyd wrote:
Scintilla wrote:I believe it stands for Super <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Tape">DAT</a>.


I stand educated


I second that notion.
The only .org member to donate $1,500 and still have a donation status of "total leech"
User avatar
the Black Monarch
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Location: The Stellar Converter on Meklon IV

Postby paizuri » Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:35 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:At first, I was surprised they thought S-DAT would last well into that year, but then you have to think that the Second Impact occurs in 2001.

At the time they made Evangelion, CDs were still in its infancy, and no one had even considered DVD. Even though disc media could have been the future for Eva (and turned out to be our future), it's most likely that the cataclysmic destruction brought about by the Second Impact changed all of that.

By 2014, due to the loss of resources and major cities (not to mention these Angels that keep attacking :roll: ), kids probably weren't in jobs and couldn't afford to get anything high-tech like today.
CDs were in their infancy when Evangelion came out? That doesn't sound right. I remember seeing CD longboxes in music stores as early as 1985 and that's only because I never went into them before that. And my family bought our first CD player in 1987. Eva came out in what, 1995-96?
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.
User avatar
paizuri
 
Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Location: All hail me, the BEEFMASTER!!!!!

Postby GloryQuestor » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:56 pm

paizuri wrote:CDs were in their infancy when Evangelion came out? That doesn't sound right. I remember seeing CD longboxes in music stores as early as 1985 and that's only because I never went into them before that. And my family bought our first CD player in 1987. Eva came out in what, 1995-96?


Well, the technology was here in the 80s, but CDs never took off early for the same reason most technology doesn't take off immediately: the technology in that era was very expensive.

It wasn't until around or after 1994 (when Evangelion came out) that CD Player prices dropped to the point that mid-range salary earners could afford to get one. Tape players were still considered the most economical (and recordable) media, though, just like when DVD machines premiered at high prices and everyone stick stuck by their VHS players until the prices came down.

So, by that logic, the Eva writers used their current viewpoint (of 1990-1993) to shape the future they were crafting out.

Since Shinji was most likely raised by a mid-range family (his teachers), they probably couldn't afford to give him more than a tape player and one tape, especially after the Second Impact and the aftermath that followed.

Because we didn't have such a global disaster, our future turned out differently -- DVDs are now economical and the standard of our market, but it took many years to get there.
Samurai Warriors Productions
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Video Art Track Department Supervisor
Another Anime Convention - Fan-Works Theater Staff
ImageImage
User avatar
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
 
Joined: 13 Apr 2004
Location: Cane Ridge, TN
Status: Moved to a new town, looking around.

Postby Vegeta_ssj4 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:17 am

the frist eps then i think 5 eps then 8 eps
Vegeta_ssj4
 
Joined: 30 May 2004
Location: Sydney

Postby paizuri » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:28 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:
paizuri wrote:CDs were in their infancy when Evangelion came out? That doesn't sound right. I remember seeing CD longboxes in music stores as early as 1985 and that's only because I never went into them before that. And my family bought our first CD player in 1987. Eva came out in what, 1995-96?


Well, the technology was here in the 80s, but CDs never took off early for the same reason most technology doesn't take off immediately: the technology in that era was very expensive.

It wasn't until around or after 1994 (when Evangelion came out) that CD Player prices dropped to the point that mid-range salary earners could afford to get one. Tape players were still considered the most economical (and recordable) media, though, just like when DVD machines premiered at high prices and everyone stick stuck by their VHS players until the prices came down.

So, by that logic, the Eva writers used their current viewpoint (of 1990-1993) to shape the future they were crafting out.

Since Shinji was most likely raised by a mid-range family (his teachers), they probably couldn't afford to give him more than a tape player and one tape, especially after the Second Impact and the aftermath that followed.

Because we didn't have such a global disaster, our future turned out differently -- DVDs are now economical and the standard of our market, but it took many years to get there.

I still contend that your non-usage of CDs in Eva theory is flawed. Your argument would be sound, but I think you have your facts wrong.

First of all, it really doesn't matter if CDs hadn't taken off in the United States since the series writers were in Japan, which is a completely different story. Although according to this website, 28% of US households had CD players in 1990, which concides more with my version of CD popularity.

Secondly, DAT (Digital Audio Tape) technology came about as a result of Compact Disc technology. Basically, the advances made in digital audio recording while creating the CD format were also applied to cassette technology. The CD format was introduced by Sony and Phillips in 1982 in Japan and Europe while the DAT format wasn't created until 1987.

Also, around the timeframe that the Eva writers were creating the series, both Mini-Discs and DAT players were popular (according to the 2nd site I posted, circa 1992), both of which are forms of recordable media. So while the writers probably chose a technology that was popular at the time, it wasn't the ONLY technology available, nor was the MD alternative probably that much more expensive.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.
User avatar
paizuri
 
Joined: 24 Sep 2001
Location: All hail me, the BEEFMASTER!!!!!

Postby the Black Monarch » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:05 am

Also, Eva was created between '93 and '96, NOT between '90 and '93.
The only .org member to donate $1,500 and still have a donation status of "total leech"
User avatar
the Black Monarch
 
Joined: 09 Jul 2002
Location: The Stellar Converter on Meklon IV


Return to Anime Series Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests