Neon Genesis Evangelion - Episode 19 ("Introjection&quo

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Episode 19 ("Introjection&quo

Post by GloryQuestor » Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:50 am

In this episode, we see Shinji finally stand up for himself against his father, and it does bring up an interesting question:

How many people think that Shinji was right in what he did? (I put a spoiler below if you haven't seen this episode.)

Spoiler:
After Eva Unit 01 kills the 13th Angel (Eva Unit 03) and crushes the entry plug that contains the Fourth Child (Toji Suzahara, one of Shinji's best friends), he stays in Unit 01 and threatens to destroy NERV.

His father activated the dummy plug system that automated his Eva and caused the injury of his best friend, and Shinji felt as if it were his hands that did it (the synchronizaton units were still active).

In retribution of his son's "petulant child" actions, he forces Shinji out of the entry plug.

Since then, he sounded much more sure of himself. He finally realized he truly hates his father, and decides to turn his back on NERV. His father accuses him of "running away again" and that they will "most likely never meet again". Shinji tells him "That's fine with me."
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

supersayian313
Org Profile

Post by supersayian313 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:32 pm

i have a question, why in the end of evangelion movie did shinji choke aska? didnt get that part. :twisted:

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:40 pm

I thought he was right, BUT:
We really don't know whether there was a 'nicer' way to stop the angel in this case.
If there was, Shinji was most certainly right. If there wasn't... perhaps it was for the best, I mean the guy did at least survive.

The "what ifs" aren't really a good approach to anything though. We can speculate, but that's about it.

Granted, I don't resent his reaction at all. Add to that, I always thought of Gendo as a villain of sorts in the story.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:37 pm

supersayian313 wrote:i have a question, why in the end of evangelion movie did shinji choke aska? didnt get that part. :twisted:
To pose a theory to your question (even though it's OT with the thread):
Right now, we are in Shinji's mind. This is where the whole thing has been taking place -- all of it was just his mind creating an alternate universe (the "dream"), with the later scenes filmed in real Japan as "reality". Keep that in mind when you read the following theory.

Asuka represents facing a part of his own self -- all three women (Asuka, Misato, and Rei) really were pieces of the same person. He shouts out for someone, anyone, to help him, to care about him, and comfort him. Asuka, as a part of his own voice, says "no". All the hate, the rage, everything that he felt towards himself, he acts out by choking Asuka. It becomes the key to his acceptance of the dream and leads to his return to reality.
Again, the above is only a theory. What it "officially" means is still up for interpretation, and the commentary wasn't very helpful in explaining this particular moment, IIRC.

Still, this is the reason that makes sense when compared to the intent of the director and the writer (and in comparison with the original ending of the series).

supersayian313
Org Profile

Post by supersayian313 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 1:26 am

i guess that makes sense.
i think im going to watch the whole series again. :twisted:

Chloe_666
Org Profile

Post by Chloe_666 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:32 am

Well back to the topic

I think Gendo has a point in what he was doing...
In my opinion the angel had to be stoped, because if not, the whole world world have been destroyed.
So with Asuka and Rei down and Shinji unable to fight there was only this way left.
On the other side it was good that Shinji finaly confronted his father and accepted the hate he felt for him :roll:

BTW: Did Toshi realy survive? I'm not realy sure ...:?
Best video due to star rating <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 868">Feuer Frei</a>
Newest vid <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 1625">Scum of the earth</a>

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:05 am

Chloe_666 wrote:BTW: Did Toshi realy survive? I'm not realy sure ...:?
Spoiler:
Toji's in the hospital bed in Episode 19, next to Shinji, who was put into unconsciousness in order to force him out of the entry plug. Toji is missing an arm and a leg from the crushing of the Eva Unit 03 entry plug, but he is still alive.
If you want a good continuation of Toji's story, you might want to check out the fan-fiction EVA-R (Click here to view the EVA-R website).

Chloe_666
Org Profile

Post by Chloe_666 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:50 am

ah thank you :D

I was a little confused, because its a bit ago that I watched the series the last time :wink:
Best video due to star rating <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 868">Feuer Frei</a>
Newest vid <a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... 1625">Scum of the earth</a>

DTJB
Org Profile

Post by DTJB » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:28 pm

This is a good question to think about. In a way, it does show that Shinji is making his own decisions and going against what others want from him, but after reading the manga version, something else comes to mind.

In the manga version, Gendo brings up an idea that could have been further brought out in the anime version as well. Why then, didn't Shinji at least defend himself and not fight altogether? If he had, maybe the events that played out wouldn't have happened, and Toji wouldn't have ended up the way he did.
Probably too busy to be here right now.

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:20 pm

Another thing about this episode is that this one and Episode 20 create a very big production flub.

At the end of Episode 19, remember that Shinji was fighting the 14th Angel in his regular clothes. That makes sense, after all -- he didn't have a lot of time to change after all.

Guess what? A camera shot into Eva Unit 01 in Episode 20 reveals that Shinji is now missing -- and only his plug suit remains!

Where did that come from? He was wearing normal clothes, and wasn't a part of NERV, so wouldn't have worn it underneath.

Also, where did his normal clothes go?

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”