Monster: how are the episodes going?

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.

Monster: how are the episodes going?

Postby Otohiko » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:27 pm

I just finished reading the 'Monster' manga, and... that may well have been the best thing I ever read. I only got to see up to ep. 10 of the anime though, and I won't get to see any for a while now...

So, my question is, how far are they getting to in recent eps? Just a quick tip off to the latest event [in spoiler tags] would be ok, if anyone's watching. Just curious, that's all.

Also, I've heard it's supposed to run for 70 eps. If that's true, that puts my mind to rest for good - and if they keep as faithful to the manga as they have, it will be hard to ever beat as my favorite anime once it's out.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby aznfs » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:05 pm

from the last i saw it was up to 14
Image
User avatar
aznfs
 
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Location: Sleeping in class somewhere in UCR

Postby aznfs » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:07 pm

lol double post.... where the 'append to post' when u need it?

i havent watched any of the episodes after episode 2 so i have no idea what has been happening since
Image
User avatar
aznfs
 
Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Location: Sleeping in class somewhere in UCR

Postby Navi en Grey » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:36 pm

hmm .. there is no edit button for this forum for at least 5 yrs ...

Monster is cool! ^__^ The main character keeps changing every episode, and thats what I like.

.-.

- Navi
Navi en Grey
 
Joined: 30 Oct 2003

Postby Otohiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:48 am

Heh, wait till you get to the real cool characters in the mid-to-later eps :wink:

(I'm a big fan of Lunge, who's already in, but I also really like Grimmer and Jan Suk, and they won't come in for a while. And oh, Jurgens, the dude in my avatar :P )

The main characters don't really change, I think, but there's a lot of side characters, and a LOT more that will come during the story.

So then, did they get to
spoiler wrote:Tenma going to Berlin, looking for Kinderheim 511?


By my calculations, they should actually be past that now.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

what;s it about?

Postby cilu » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:06 am

What's monster about? Is it new? I haven't heard of it yet but you guys put it in a favourable light and i might just check it up...
Kill all the spiders...and save the butterflies...
It's rational until you realize that by striving for it, you become a spider yourself... (Knives)
cilu
 
Joined: 25 Jun 2004
Location: over the hills...and far away

Postby Otohiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:21 am

Well, Monster is really a pretty serious show. The plot here really shines. It's essentially a mystery, with some rather mystical-seeming things mixed in. However, it all keeps very true to reality, and there's no magic, metaphysics, or mecha involved anywhere. Excellent European flavour.

some spoilers for the couple of eps ahead - but don't worry, that's not even a tiny fraction of the real plot involved. Read on.

Basically, it starts in 1986 in Dusseldorf, Germany. Dr. Tenma, a Japanese brain surgeon who moved to Germany to study, and then work there, works at Eisler Memorial Hospital, where he is looked up to as a prodigy, a doctor of incredible talent. This is why the most famous, important patients are always brought to his care - order of the hospital's Director.

However, one day a Turkish worker injured in an accident dies while Tenma works on a famous opera singer, by the order of the director - even though the Turkish man was brought in first. The image of the worker's grieving wife haunts Tenma, and next time this happens, he disobeys on the Director's order and operates on a boy who was shot in the head, instead of the city mayor who was brought in! The boy was found in a house, with his parents - officials who recently escaped from East Germany - dead, and his twin sister in shock.

The mayor dies. Now, Tenma gets on the unfavourable side of the Director, and his hopes of promotion fade away. His engagement to the director's daughter is off, and all seems to be lost...

...however, the boy and his sister mysteriously disappear. The same night, the Director and two of his newly-favorite doctors are found dead.

What will happen to Tenma now that his corrupt superior is dead? Will he be suspected of the murder? And more importantly, how is this related to the mysterious twins?

The answers will not be found for another 10 years, when Tenma meets his patient again...
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby Kai Stromler » Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:01 am

Otohiko wrote:So then, did they get to
spoiler wrote:Tenma going to Berlin, looking for Kinderheim 511?


By my calculations, they should actually be past that now.


I'm watching it with MITAC (as you probably knew), and at the last showing at which it ran, this was covered over the course of 10-12. This is also where Tenma picks up Dieter, who as it turns out is voiced by Takeuchi Junko using her Naruto voice. \m/.

The first Turkish-quarter bit is coming up (probably has aired/started airing already, we have to wait for ep 15 to be subbed to see more). I can't wait. Scuttlebutt also confirms that the series is indeed plotted for 78 eps (3 seasons), which means that they'll be sticking pretty close to their current two-chapters-per-ep pace.

For those who haven't read the manga and think this anime is great already, just hold on. You don't even KNOW.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
IT'S TIME!
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available
User avatar
Kai Stromler
 
Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Location: back in the USSA

Postby Otohiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:02 am

Kai Stromler wrote:For those who haven't read the manga and think this anime is great already, just hold on. You don't even KNOW.


Couldn't have said it better, Kai \m/

Yea, I would say the part where they just get to Prague is my favorite there(probably because of Grimmer), but it's REALLY hard to single anything out. It's just excellent throughout, and keeps being fresh over and over.

Well, since they got to Kinderheim 511, I guess it's solidly into the plot now. Great stuff coming up!
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby Otohiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:07 am

By the way Kai, maybe you know... with all the characters that seem to come back, did you ever catch the dead Turkish worker's wife/son in there again? I kind of thought Tenma would meet them when it gets to the Turkish Quarter part, but either I missed something, or they never show up after 1986... Odd considering most other side characters come back at one time or other. Then again, Tenma saving the Turks kind of works into this theme, anyway.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby Kai Stromler » Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:16 am

Otohiko wrote:By the way Kai, maybe you know... with all the characters that seem to come back, did you ever catch the dead Turkish worker's wife/son in there again?


No, I didn't. I wouldn't be surprised if I just missed it though, because Urasawa loves nothing more than bringing characters back -- 20th Century Boys does this on a huge scale, and I'm not sure there's a speaking character in Yawara that does *not* become part of the recurring cast.

I'll have to read it over again....not like I really needed the excuse. 8)

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
IT'S TIME!
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available
User avatar
Kai Stromler
 
Joined: 12 Jul 2002
Location: back in the USSA

Postby Otohiko » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:08 pm

Yea, I'll be coming back to this one again, too. I got glued to the thing, couldn't stop reading it until it was all over... in 4 days... so I'll need a bit of a break first.

Well, I guess I should hope either for some friends with bandwith or the anime soc actually showing it at my new university this fall. It really will make an amazing anime; I mean, it builds an awesome amount of tension and characterization in the manga, but with moving visuals and sound, it can only get better.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby Savia » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:59 am

So I take it my recommendation was well placed? ;)
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.
User avatar
Savia
Chocolate teapot
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2003
Location: Reading, UK

Postby Otohiko » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:52 am

Indeed. I still can't believe I actually went to see it just because David Sylvian does the ending theme... It's a cherry to top the cake, sure, but it's pretty embarassing as the primary reason for checking out such an amazing series :roll:
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Postby Savia » Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:05 pm

Otohiko wrote:Indeed. I still can't believe I actually went to see it just because David Sylvian does the ending theme... It's a cherry to top the cake, sure, but it's pretty embarassing as the primary reason for checking out such an amazing series :roll:


Man, I really, really need to check out the manga sometime. It's right up my street.
"A creator needs only one enthusiast to justify him." - Man Ray
"Restrictions breed creativity." - Mark Rosewater

A Freudian slip is where you say one thing, but mean your mother.
User avatar
Savia
Chocolate teapot
 
Joined: 02 Apr 2003
Location: Reading, UK

Next

Return to Anime Series Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest