Hellsing: Order 13.

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Thu May 06, 2004 6:04 pm

We have no idea what Dracula looks like, but out of the two choices (Being Dracula or being the reincarnation of Dracula) the "Being Dracula" option is more supported by the series. Granted, it *would* make sense if Alucard was the reincarnation, since he doesn't act like we expect Dracula to act. However, having him be Dracula himself explains a lot more.

If Van Helsing killed Dracula, how did he get Dracula's reincarnation under his control? If Alucard is the actual Dracula, then it makes sense that Van Helsing defeated him and then did all of the crazy stuff and harnassed his power. Since Dracula is a vampire after all, he would live forever anyway, there's no reason that Alucard has to be a new generation unless Dracula is killed (and someone mentioned that Dracula may not have been killed) and it is a well documented fact (err uh... an aspect of Brom Stoker's book...) that Dracula can improve his looks and age, so it'd be no task for him to look like the youthful studly vampire that Alucard is.

But I'll understand all this more a little later, currently I'm reading Dracula, but I haven't gotten to the end yet.

One thing worthy of note - In the Valentine Brothers episodes Integra and Walter mention the ordeal that the first generation Hellsing family went through. Just thought I'd mention that...
Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
Don't disturb me now, I can see the answers
'Till this evening is this morning, life is fine.

ninja007
Org Profile

Post by ninja007 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:10 pm

totally forgot about that part.

since alucard is dracula spelled backwards, that might mean that he is dracula. i don't know where i heard this, but i read somewhere that alucard was the son of dracula. i don't really believe this. i think that alucard is dracula, or at least the japanese version. I'm not trying to stereotype or anything, but when there is an anime made about something that has a history to it (like Spriggan's Noah's Ark)

they change the story significantly. in spriggan (i'll try to leave the spoilers out) they said that the ark (which was constontly called "Noah")
could control weather, (and something else but that would be a spoiler).

SO, in order to try to make Dracula more appealing to the japanese, the had to give Dracula more demonic and creepy powers. I guess that would be more appealing to japanese viewers. it turned out thechange was for the better (for me) cuz alucard/dracula was just perfect the way they made him. that is just my opinion though
ninja007

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Thu May 06, 2004 11:32 pm

ninja007 wrote: , but i read somewhere that alucard was the son of dracula.
The only place that I've heard of alucard being dracula's son is in the PS1 game, Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

ninja007
Org Profile

Post by ninja007 » Fri May 07, 2004 9:53 am

oh, i knew that i heard that, i just didn't know which alucard it was.

but i still think alucard is japanese version of dracula
ninja007

koronoru
Org Profile

Post by koronoru » Fri May 07, 2004 2:24 pm

ninja007 wrote:That's what i'm talking about. his face changes for a split second.

You have no idea what dracula looks like (according to the people who made hellsing at least). So you can't say that he is dracula because of that.
Well, "the people who made hellsing" could be wrong or lying. I'm sure they don't all know all of the supposed story, and there are known inconsistencies between the manga and anime and different parts of the anime. I've definitely heard the claim in various fan fora that Count Dracula is described as having a moustache in the original novel, and that that face-change shot is proof that Alucard is really the original Count Dracula (not his son). If so, it would be consistent with most of the story of the novel and the anime - Integra is descended from the original Hellsing who vanquished the original Dracula but didn't kill him because, as you may have noticed, he's kinda difficult to kill. I haven't read the original novel myself.

HeartbreakerByZep
Org Profile

Post by HeartbreakerByZep » Fri May 07, 2004 4:56 pm

Like I said, I'm reading through Brom Stoker's Dracula right now, I just haven't finished it yet. But the more I find out about Dracula the more I'm confident that Alucard is THE Dracula. I think Dracula just turned into a dog.

While Alucard's powers in the anime don't completely align with Dracula from the book, I don't think it's "Japanese Dracula" as much as it is just artistic privilege. Obviously Hellsing is very different from the old horror novel Dracula, so our Dracula (Alucard) has to change from his old self into the freak-fighting, immortal, gun shooting vampire that he is. While Alucard is clearly not Dracula from the book, there are still a lot of consistencies, and I think the changes are indeed artistic privilege. I think Alucard is a great Dracula, he may not have the old Transylvania blood sturring in him anymore, but you've gotta make some changes to yourself every once in a while when you've been living since the ancient russian wars and such...

But I don't know if Alucard is Dracula in the manga. I'm only up to #2. But man, wouldn't Dracula VS Hitler be the greatest fight ever? I doubt Hitler will be in the Hellsing manga, but since they are fighting nazis, and since there are a lot of undead....

But if Alucard is Dracula in the manga, I wonder if it will ever be expanded on - or if it will just stay the distant fact of his former self.
Look at all my trials and tribulations
Sinking in a gentle pool of wine.
Don't disturb me now, I can see the answers
'Till this evening is this morning, life is fine.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Fri May 07, 2004 5:49 pm

HeartbreakerByZep wrote: But man, wouldn't Dracula VS Hitler be the greatest fight ever?
Yes, yes it would.

ninja007
Org Profile

Post by ninja007 » Fri May 07, 2004 7:18 pm

i just remember something. in the tenth episode of hellsing, they showed alucard (with white hair) starts killing hellsing soldiers. they look like they had modern weapons and it looks like that was when they caught him. since dracula was caught a long time before that, it kind goes with the "son" or "reincarnation" idea i have.
ninja007

Zaphod_Beeblebrox
Org Profile

Post by Zaphod_Beeblebrox » Fri May 07, 2004 7:21 pm

Well, alucard may not be the dracula but maybe an amalgamation of a few vampire theories, maybe encompassing the Kainite thoeries aswell.

Thus the change in persona from Bram Stoker's Dracula to the Alucard of Helsing may be because he has become dissolusioned with the way there are so many userpers to the vampiric blood, and therefore may be trying to re-create the vampire race to their former glory........maybe

or it could be that Alucard was created by many generations of research and experiments to be the ultimate weapon of the Helsing family, as it is stated in vol.1 of the manga that he is the "crystallisation" of all the monster fighting technology of the Helsing family.....another possibility

thats just my $0.02

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Fri May 07, 2004 8:11 pm

ninja007 wrote:i just remember something. in the tenth episode of hellsing, they showed alucard (with white hair) starts killing hellsing soldiers. they look like they had modern weapons and it looks like that was when they caught him. since dracula was caught a long time before that, it kind goes with the "son" or "reincarnation" idea i have.

Well, we don't know when Alucard was caught. So who knows? Maybe it took them centuries to actually end up defeating him.
Zaphod_Beeblebrox wrote:or it could be that Alucard was created by many generations of research and experiments to be the ultimate weapon of the Helsing family, as it is stated in vol.1 of the manga that he is the "crystallisation" of all the monster fighting technology of the Helsing family.....another possibility
Well, couldn't that just be the control system that they've managed to put into Alucard? Perhaps why he states his power restriction thing.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”