FLCL - 01

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.

Postby Scintilla » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:16 pm

Chloe_666 wrote:I have a question: Has anybody read the FLCL manga?

Yes.

Chloe_666 wrote:I dont now if the story of the manga is a bit different from the story in the anime.

Yes, it most definitely is.

Chloe_666 wrote:Its hard to tell because the manga is drawn realy bad.

Yes, it is. That's one of the things that turns me off about it.

It's also very hard at times to tell what's going on (and yes, I do mean more so than in the anime).
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Katsumi_AMVs » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:15 pm

Scintilla wrote:It's also very hard at times to tell what's going on (and yes, I do mean more so than in the anime).

ROFL

But that's the fun in FLCL ... isn't it? :shock:
I can't remember how much times I had "WTF" inside my head :lol:
Nothing usefull here .
Katsumi_AMVs

Okay, the art is a little different!

Postby flclimber » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:11 pm

Of course, the strange art style is Ueda's personal style, and I think it complements the whole insanity that is FLCL. Really, Ueda is talented when it comes to what is called anti-form drawing, which is quite difficult to imitate for some. Most manga stories wouldn't work well with that style, but FLCL does quite well. It evokes a feeling- that was propably Tsurumaki's reason for hiring that guy. If you ask me, though, Sadamoto should have done it to keep the feel of the show. In a way, it isn't a retelling of the story with Ueda's art. It's simply a companion to the anime! But what is so great about FLCL is: It is open to anything!

But of course, the manga needed The Pillows. End of story.

This brings me to this- can we have a FLCL sequel?
[img]http://www.tait.nildram.co.uk/thepillows/images/01_9hat9.jpg[img][/img]
flclimber

Re: Okay, the art is a little different!

Postby Scintilla » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:46 pm

flclimber wrote:If you ask me, though, Sadamoto should have done it to keep the feel of the show.

Eh... he had more important things (read: finally finishing up the NGE manga :twisted: ) to work on.

flclimber wrote:In a way, it isn't a retelling of the story with Ueda's art. It's simply a companion to the anime!

The way I remember it, the manga diverged too much from the anime for the two stories to really coexist.
ImageImage
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby ~Chrono~ » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:06 pm

I'm... how can i say it... an Addict to FLCL. I just love it.
The best anime I've ever seen. I can't understand the people who can't separte a WTF story from a one that contains nothing but symbolism and parody. And... this is FLCL.
Nothing just happens here, everything has a meaning.
~Chrono~

Postby Scintilla » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:13 pm

~Chrono~ wrote:And... this is FLCL.
Nothing just happens here, everything has a meaning.

Except for the things that <i>do</i> just happen, because the people in charge thought they would be cool.

And then the things that <i>originally</i> just happened, but then it was later realized that they could be given a meaning as well (like making the Medical Mechanica factory in the shape of an iron).

Director's commentary tracks are a wonderful thing. :)
ImageImage
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby ~Chrono~ » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:52 pm

Of course, I bet they didn't realize a LOT of things and later a lot of fans would give them a meaning. The rest is pure comedy. FLCL Rocks!
~Chrono~

Postby Shinobi_Alchemist » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:32 am

Hello...im sorta new here....but im a HUGE fan of FLCL so....anyway heres who i see it.

1) Canti is from medical mecanical
2) the hand that pops out of noata's head is the hand from the huge robot from the 3rd ep
3) Canti is atmos in another body so when hes in danger or eats noata he turns into that cannon and finnaly.....FLCL is on of the best shows/soundtracks ive ever seen/heard
If you watch your back,your dead...If you watch your front,your dead...Either way...your gonna die.
Shinobi_Alchemist

Postby G-rant » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:18 pm

Scintilla wrote:Canti's a Medical Mechanica robot (as Haruko says in ep 2 -- and if you look, you can see the MM logo on his chest), and the hand that's fighting him is half of another one. (The robot that comes out of Naota's head in ep 2 is the second half.)

I'm pretty sure that red Canti is Canti with the power of Atomsk (Amarao says as much in ep 5), esp. with Atomsk's symbol showing up on his screen. However, in the later episodes, Canti turns red after eating Naota, so it's not entirely clear.

Pretty much every thing you said is true, the reason canti turns red i believe is because of N.O. not which is what naota and atomsk powers r ohh and not to mention, Ninamouri has NO too so if canti ate her hed prolly turn red too.
G-rant

Postby Malificus » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:19 pm

Hey I have to give some credit to the manga because somehow, it broke through just enough to make an enjoyable storyline anid as far as the art, I feel that the sketchy style added to the feel of FLCL
ImageImage
Malificus
Dr. Malpractice

Postby Chromer » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:33 pm

G-rant wrote:
Scintilla wrote:Canti's a Medical Mechanica robot (as Haruko says in ep 2 -- and if you look, you can see the MM logo on his chest), and the hand that's fighting him is half of another one. (The robot that comes out of Naota's head in ep 2 is the second half.)

I'm pretty sure that red Canti is Canti with the power of Atomsk (Amarao says as much in ep 5), esp. with Atomsk's symbol showing up on his screen. However, in the later episodes, Canti turns red after eating Naota, so it's not entirely clear.

Pretty much every thing you said is true, the reason canti turns red i believe is because of N.O. not which is what naota and atomsk powers r ohh and not to mention, Ninamouri has NO too so if canti ate her hed prolly turn red too.

Ok, let me clear up something. First of all, I've been a member here for a while but this is my first post. But I have been an anime fan since I was 5.
But onto FLCL.

The reason Canti turns red whenever he swallows Naota is because when Haruko smacked him in the head with the guitar (Ep. 1) she opened the N.O. channel in his head.(which we all know) But what nobody has mentioned is that in FLCLimax (Ep. 6) Amarao said, " That's it! That thing must be apart of the Terminal Core!", He was talking about Canti obviously. By Haruko opening the N.O. Channel, she automatically made Naota apart of the Terminal Core.

Don't Believe me? Here's my proof. Watch Ep. 6 closely and you'll notice that Haruko smacks Naota into the combined Takkun/Canti part of the Terminal Core and Amarao begins this long rant about Medical Mechanica. The now Takkun/Naota/Canti Terminal Core plunges into the Hand that Naota/Canti defeated in Ep. 5 and it comes alive to activate Medical Mechanica.

BUT!

I'm guessing that Naota couldn't let Medical Mechanica activate, so he grabbed the powers of Atomsk and confessed his love for Haruko. So, basically what I'm saying is that everytime Canti ate Naota, Naota was tapping into the powers of Atomsk that was being pulled through the N.O. Channel. As Amarao said in Ep. 5, Atomsk was being held captive in the Medical Mechanica plant in Mabase. So, Atomsk's powers were always being used in the series.

This is my theory so I could be wrong. But hey, with proof like that, its hard to discredit it.[/b]
Chromer

Postby Malificus » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:51 pm

To chromer, yes Haruko did break Canti, but I believe that she broke his link to atomsk which wouild explain his turning from red to blue. The reason canti needs Naota to turn red again is to make a temporary link.
That would explain why, that in episode six, the terminal core doesn't work until naota's power's are tapped. Naota supplies the direct link to Medical Mechanica nececcary to make up for Canti's inability to use Atomsk's powers.
I also believe that while canti acts like he may be atomsk, I believe that could be because atomsk is too much power too really handle. That would explain when Canti is using atomsk's power and loses the atomsk link, thatr he eventually loses it again. Atomsk also needed Naota to escape because canti was stiull a tool of MM and MM used atomsk like thier own personal generator, using his massive star-stealing NO to power and move the massive factories, but Naota only cared about Haruko releasing atomsk's power and self in that one instance, allowing his own No to be used to release Atomsk.

I have a headache....
ImageImage
Malificus
Dr. Malpractice

Postby Super Shanko » Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:58 pm

well i always saw it like this. let me just take a deep breath....

In Ep. 1 Haruko attacked Naota because he had the head she was looking for so she could open a gateway to free Atomsk because she 1. she and him are rivals and she wanted to steal his power and 2. she had fallen in love with him like Amarao said which she also tried on his dad. Naota now has a portal in his forehead that allows stuff to pass through like when he bashed his head into Ninamori's and that robot came from hers(Ep.3). Onward Canti is a MM robot just like all the others he was red since he was battle ready, then when Haruko hits and damages him Canti THEN he's reprogammed for housework and other chores(Ep.). the reason he swallows Naota is because he has that gateway which lets Atomsk to take control of Canti which is stated in Ep.5 after Canti pulled a guitar through his face but its first seen in Naota in Ep.4 when he stopped that satellite.
as for the last episode Naota was eaten by the terminal core to reoperate the hand which failed cause Canti was part of it and he and Naota merged to stop the hand and Naota got control of Atomsk's power and fought Haruko but stopped to admit his feelings and then finally freed Atomsk and it probably closed the portal in his head.
that just my opinion.
Life is but a dream.....So what happens when you wake up?
Super Shanko

Postby Malificus » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:46 pm

Super Shanko wrote:well i always saw it like this. let me just take a deep breath....

In Ep. 1 Haruko attacked Naota because he had the head she was looking for

No, haruko was hitting everyone. she had actually hit mon-chan first, and he told haruko about naota.
ImageImage
Malificus
Dr. Malpractice

Postby drkgeek » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:14 pm

Im still trying to download an episode on High Quality... lol
Halo is overated...
drkgeek

PreviousNext

Return to Anime Series Discussion