Samurai X: Reflection

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
StudioKZ
Org Profile

Post by StudioKZ » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:29 am

I'm not saying it was AIDS, mind you, but the likelyhood that it was an STD that he got from blood to blood contact that he then transmitted to Kaoru through normal means is there.

Ahem, let me clarify though, while it's possible that it was an STD, I highly doubt that's what it was, I'm just saying that a friend of mine did suggest that. :P
...IT'S <gasp>

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=89045
I love fatties. HOT FUCKING!

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:56 pm

SS5_Majin_Bebi wrote:
StudioKZ wrote:Even though they can be transmitted through needles or open cuts, etc, etc, etc, Hepatitis, Herpes and AIDS are still considered STDs because they are *usually* transmitted sexually. If a -usually- sexually transmitted disease is transmitted through blood-to-blood contact, that doesn't make it *NOT* a sexually transmitted disease.
Just more proof that the term STD is incorrect, or at the very least, fundamentally flawed. I'm not saying TK is wrong in that it could have been AIDS, but heaps of people have gotten AIDS from injuries, needlesticks, blood transfusions and things other than sex. Shit, it wasnt that long ago that it was thought that it was only a disease that gay men could get.

I'm just saying theres a better way of looking at it than an STD. did you know Ebola can be transmitted via sexual contact? But it isnt an STD.
I NEVER SAID IT WAS AIDS :evil: ONLY TIME I MENTIONED AIDS WAS WHEN SOMEONE ELSE SAID I SAID IT AND I WAS LIKE, "WHO SAID AIDS?"
I SUPPORT THE CHINESE MAFIA!
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:22 am

Aids wasnt around since the 1900's :?

TallonKarrde23
Org Profile

Post by TallonKarrde23 » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:19 pm

LightningCountX wrote:Aids wasnt around since the 1900's :?
why does noone listen =/

i NEVER said it was AIDS - Just that it could be ANY STD, i NEVER specified which :?
I SUPPORT THE CHINESE MAFIA!
DER FUHRER IS SANTA!

LightningCountX
Org Profile

Post by LightningCountX » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:03 pm

TallonKarrde23 wrote:
LightningCountX wrote:Aids wasnt around since the 1900's :?
why does noone listen =/

i NEVER said it was AIDS - Just that it could be ANY STD, i NEVER specified which :?
I know you didnt say aids, im telling the people who think it was aids that it isnt. Aids/HIV didnt come around till the 1900's and kenshin lived in the 1800's...

Suzuki_Akira
Org Profile

Post by Suzuki_Akira » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:26 pm

I think Kenshin's parents died of cholera, and I don't think that can be passed genetically, so that rules out that factor if the above statements are true.

inuyashaguru
Org Profile

Post by inuyashaguru » Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:12 am

tropical skin and nerve disease: a tropical disease that mainly affects the skin and nerves, and can cause tissue change. Leprosy is transmitted following close personal contact and has a long incubation period (1–30 years). It can now be cured if treated with a combination of drugs.

as quoted out of the dictionary, so yes it was leprosy, from his traveling it wasn't surprising that he got it, and he didn't have to contract it from anyone he could it have gotten it from drinking water that was contaminated it's the 1900s please getting a disease wasn't to hard to work at back then not everything was really sanitary. i mean in three different centuries europe had the black death becuz they didn't handle thing properly and jsut left dead bodies in the street.
but i think it also shows that kenshin could be killed by human hands, cuz in the end he died from a disease not anyone else gives a symbolism of his power yatta yatta yatta anyhow

...it's leprosy not an std not teberculosis yet some similar concepts coughing blood and so forth. leprosy ...get it...got it...GOOD. hehe
"I have no fondness for the name of Battousai. But I will not pass it on to a man like you" Rurouni Kenshin
"This world is made of LOVE AND PEACE!" -Vash

cilu
Org Profile

well

Post by cilu » Mon Jul 12, 2004 2:27 pm

I don't think the creators even considered to put in the story kenshin's disease in the first place... So they kinda made it up in this reflection ova because i don't remember saying somewhere in the series that he was ill or something like that. They tried to put a fitting end to kenshin's and kaoru's life. Because we was the best swordsman in japan and practically had no adversary, the creators chose illnes as his end. I find it most fitting.
I also remember vaguely that they mentioned what kind of disase he had, but that means i should check up the movie and i'm not in the mood to see it again.
Kill all the spiders...and save the butterflies...
It's rational until you realize that by striving for it, you become a spider yourself... (Knives)

cilu
Org Profile

oo

Post by cilu » Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:34 pm

i just saw rurouni kenshin ovas, memories or something like that (that takes place before the series). There was this guy there, i though he was a trainer for the young batousai who definitely suffered from tb and even died in the end by tb. Although he didn't have those red spots all over his body. Thoguht this might help your little debate.....
Kill all the spiders...and save the butterflies...
It's rational until you realize that by striving for it, you become a spider yourself... (Knives)

inuyashaguru
Org Profile

Re: well

Post by inuyashaguru » Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:57 pm

cilu wrote:I don't think the creators even considered to put in the story kenshin's disease in the first place... So they kinda made it up in this reflection ova because i don't remember saying somewhere in the series that he was ill or something like that. They tried to put a fitting end to kenshin's and kaoru's life. Because we was the best swordsman in japan and practically had no adversary, the creators chose illnes as his end. I find it most fitting.
I also remember vaguely that they mentioned what kind of disase he had, but that means i should check up the movie and i'm not in the mood to see it again.

I viewed kenshin's demmise by illness has a symbolism that he could not be killed by man almost making him seem immortal, but he could be killed by his one "kryptonite" if you will, which was his mortality. in the end he died from illness because it is a foe that he can not fight with a sword and showed that he isn't invinceable.
"I have no fondness for the name of Battousai. But I will not pass it on to a man like you" Rurouni Kenshin
"This world is made of LOVE AND PEACE!" -Vash

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”