Evangelion Episode 23 Director's Cut proves the following...

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Cyanna
Super Rad!
Org Profile

Post by Cyanna » Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:09 am

the Black Monarch wrote:
Cyanna wrote:Didn't you read what I quoted a few posts back? For someone who is so picky about the writer's choice of words used to build up suspense for spoilers, you certainly like to disregard quotes actually used to reveal spoilers.
Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that no one ever says Unit 01 was made from Lillith.
Again.
SEELE 01 (Keel) from EoE wrote:The promised time has come. With the Lance of Longinus now lost, complementation using Lilith is impossible. Our only hope is to proceed with EVA-01, Lilith's sole clone.
[/quote]

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:44 am

the Black Monarch wrote:
Kracus wrote:Yet you don't believe mother akagi is in 00 because she killed herself by jumping to her doom. Something most sane people don't do either.
Most sane people also don't get to high-five Mike Shinoda, but just because I did it doesn't mean I'm insane. The elder Dr. Akagi was sane when she jumped. A little unstable, but not completely out of touch with reality like Asuka's mom.

what part of the series are you getting that from or are you just pulling that from your ass?
Kracus wrote:Born = created
That is where your logic begins to fail. Born != created.

example, I provided a definition, you have provided nothing
Kracus wrote:There are many version of the dialogue, it would be best to get the exact japanese wording and translate it yourself.

Here's another version ( a bit different ):
I use the Director's Cut translations, which are based on the Literal Translation Project, widely considered to be the most accurate translations available.

I didn't post the dialogue I was watching to discredit yours, just provide another very close and similar translation from the Death part of Death & Rebirth. I have the uncut version and I know what it says
Kracus wrote: hmm, what if at the test site in Antartica they found Adam somewhat like Lilith is in the series and they did experiments and caused a similar instrumentality, that brought forth a being of light that destroyed them. The same thing happens again, but this time its lilith and instead of destroying, a recreation process happens... Technically, Adam is not a being of light. That is not a distinction given to him.
Gendo explicitly states in episode 21 that the Giant of Light IS Adam. It's when he's bringing Fuyutsuki on board.

first notice the 'what if' I added. Yes Gendo says Giant of Light because that is what he saw. Because at that time he was lit up. But Rei and Lilith do the same thing. So Adam is not the only one who can be considered the Giant of Light.
Kracus wrote:So when Eva 00/Rei lights up and reforms before she blows, maybe there is something left of her.
There is definitely something left of her - we see a dark, fuzzy close-up of her arm in Unit 00's entry plug when Akagi Jr. goes to "rescue" her (translation: rescue the plug, destroy the survivor)

I was saying that to throw away what you said but to add to what you said for those who didn't accept what you said
Kracus wrote:Mother Akagi didn't blow chibi Rei up, just choked her to death.
Choked her, but not to death. When deprived of oxygen, you lose consciousness a few minutes before you actually die. Naoko would have to keep the pressure on for a while after Rei went totally limp in order to kill her.

Again, where in the series did you see that? You need proof. I'm not advocating that Rei has died three times but you need actual proof or you can't go around saying everyone else is wrong.

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:45 am

Cyanna wrote:
the Black Monarch wrote:
Cyanna wrote:Didn't you read what I quoted a few posts back? For someone who is so picky about the writer's choice of words used to build up suspense for spoilers, you certainly like to disregard quotes actually used to reveal spoilers.
Okay, but that doesn't change the fact that no one ever says Unit 01 was made from Lillith.
Again.
SEELE 01 (Keel) from EoE wrote:The promised time has come. With the Lance of Longinus now lost, complementation using Lilith is impossible. Our only hope is to proceed with EVA-01, Lilith's sole clone.
[/quote]

Doesn't that also support the theory that 00 is a clone of Adam?

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:02 am

here is something else rei says.

*episode were 01 eats the age*
*Rei sortie with bomb in her arm and charges at the age*
Rei: No Problem. Let me go. I don't mind, even if I die--- there is another.
Akagi jr: She's going to blow herself up.
Gendo: Rei!

How did she even get out with out them sending her? Take what rei says how you like. Gendo's response is interesting though, if rei can die and be brought back then why would he be worried? Also, Rei does say something like "I think I am the third" but that could only be because she can't remember, not because there haven't been (possibly) others.

I'm not sure if the question is still open about who the evas are cloned from is open, but another note to mark is the asuka rape scene. What is so special about 01 that they wouldn't send 01 one out but 00.

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:05 am

Kracus wrote:here is something else rei says.

wow I don't know why I typed age, Angel.

Cyanna
Super Rad!
Org Profile

Post by Cyanna » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:50 am

Kracus wrote:
Cyanna wrote:
the Black Monarch wrote:
Again.
Doesn't that also support the theory that 00 is a clone of Adam?[/quote]

Yes. I never argued that it was otherwise. I even tried to help prove that with the other quote I posted with Keel's (Kaworu talking about his relationship with the Evas...Unit 02 in particular). I just found Kaworu's to be irrelevent in this case since I was trying to supply proof that Unit 01 was made from Lilith and not that the other two were created from Adam.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:51 am

Kracus wrote:here is something else rei says.

*Rei sortie with bomb in her arm and charges at the age*
Rei: No Problem. Let me go. I don't mind, even if I die--- there is another.
Akagi jr: She's going to blow herself up.
Gendo: Rei!

How did she even get out with out them sending her? Take what rei says how you like. Gendo's response is interesting though, if rei can die and be brought back then why would he be worried? Also, Rei does say something like "I think I am the third" but that could only be because she can't remember, not because there haven't been (possibly) others.

I'm not sure if the question is still open about who the evas are cloned from is open, but another note to mark is the asuka rape scene. What is so special about 01 that they wouldn't send 01 one out but 00.
Gendo would be worried because he didn't order Rei to do so. She is acting own her own rather than according to his plan. Also who knows, maybe he actually cares for her a little... and a clone isn't quite the same...

And during the mind rape scene I believe Unit-01 is still undergoing repairs or is still under wraps due to the berserk incident.

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:06 am

Zarxrax wrote: And during the mind rape scene I believe Unit-01 is still undergoing repairs or is still under wraps due to the berserk incident.
*during asuka mind rape*
Gendo: We must complete everything before Seele goes into action. It is not wise to lose Unit one at this time. It may be troublesome to use the spear of longinus without approval.

To me it seemed liked they could have but chose not to. And I thought in that episode Shinji was ready but they didn't send him out cause they didn't want the Angel to attempt a mind rap of unit 01....matter of fact I have the episode here at work, I'm gonna check it out and post again.

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:32 am

Shinji was ready to go out
Misato: No, we can't do that if the Angel attacked during the approach we couldn't protect it.
Shinji: I'll go out in Unit 01!
Fuyu: No! This target has the ability to attack the pilot's mind.
Gendo: We cannot allow an Invasion of Unit 01.
*cut to shinji in the plug*
Shinji: But that can't happen as long as I'm not defeated, right?
Gendo: There is no guarantee that you will succeed.
Shinji: But if we don't, Asuka will...
Gendo: I don't care. Rei, go to Dogma and get the Lance.

another scene I thought was interesting to note
*Misato in her car on the way to Nerv while the string looking angel hovers above*
Misato: I'll be there in 15 minutes. Sortie unit 00 through the 32nd. Deploy Unit 02 as back up. Yes the commander will direct Unit 01. I don't have the authority to release it.

Oh ignore my earlier comment about Rei being able to launch herself, Asuka does the same thing in the mind rape episode. Originally Rei was suppose to go and Asuka was to be back up, but Asuka (being herself) said the command to launch.

but still Gendo's reaction was more of concern to me rather than anger cause she didn't obey orders. No one seemed upset when asuka launched herself.

Kracus
Org Profile

Post by Kracus » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:49 am

Interesting, I found an error in translation in one very of the convo Gendo says its not acceptable to lose 01 as I stated above and another version says its not acceptable to lose 02 at this time. However, when listening to the japanese and ignoring what is on the screen, 00 and 02 are refer to as unit 0 and unit ni, but unit 01 has a different name associated with it. And the different name is what I hear in Gendo's convo with fuyutsuki.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”