Spring Cleaning: Doing the Org's Work

J-0080
Org Profile

Re: Spring Cleaning: Doing the Org's Work

Post by J-0080 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:21 pm

I haven't been to the site in four or five years and it looks pretty much the same as I remember; definitely showing it's age. Here's to the volunteering Web devs/designers making it all nice and modern like. :up:
paizuri wrote:There's also no need for introductions because we're generally a friendly bunch and will welcome you with wide open arms anyway.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:34 am

Any estimation on when we would be contacted about helping ? Still interested in assisting the web design team with graphic design related needs if possible.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Perhaps a flexible schedule should be set up with milestones, so this doesn't lose momentum?

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:36 pm

My time I can dedicate to this may be limited, but I do have html, PHP, MySQL and Visual Design skills that I can contribute to a site redesign if needed. I've even dabbled a little in AJAX.

You can see my own site as proof if you like, www.aunstudios.com which is all mysql database driven, although its code is quite old (written around 2007), and I am better now than when I wrote that site.

My recommendation if possible would be to see if we can use a content management system to design the layout of the site, just for the purpose of making it easier to maintain. Something like wordpress. and then add any needed customizations ontop of that. I don't think we need to make it really fancy, simple is best, the content manager would take care of most of the harder parts leaving us to work on actual features. One big thing that HAS to be supported to be a viable alternative to places like youtube is html5 streaming. this is ridiculously easy with html5 though, as you can make a mp4 file streamable with a simple <video> tag. Is really no excuse to not include it aside from maybe bandwidth issues. Every modern browser supports html5 now, there's no reason to use flash anymore.

If nothing else, I would like to volunteer to be a part of the committee to contribute design ideas and help out where others get stuck if possible. I too would like to see the org live on, as most of my amv days was spent here, and I have fond memories of the place. One thing this place will always have above youtube is the community here in the forums.

Thanks

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Also, If this is not already the case, might I suggest that volunteers towards the site redesign get automatic pro status? Their time and energy is just as important as a monetary donation. I have no issue with not compensating with money, since the org is a non for profit site, it makes sense that volunteers help out with it. I think compensating with special status on the site or special perks though would be incentive enough to get people on board.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:32 pm

Soooooo...

What happened?
Has there been anything going on behind the scenes at all?
How close are we to a redesign?

MinetChan
Org Profile

Post by MinetChan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:56 pm

I saw this a bit late, but I just wanted to say that I am available for web design/front end development work if you guys need anymore help. I am particularly skilled at responsive design and media queries (which would be very helpful for tablet and mobile site designs). Just shoot me a message!

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:43 am

ZephyrStar wrote:Soooooo...

What happened?
Has there been anything going on behind the scenes at all?
How close are we to a redesign?
Actually, there has been quite a bit going on behind the scenes. Most of the work has been getting old code and forums up-to-date in preparation for accepting new stuff. In fact, we're in the process of testing and tweaking a new feature we think everyone will like.

Stay tuned. :)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

ClaudiusVideo's
Org Profile

Post by ClaudiusVideo's » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:18 pm

as i read i realize this is for updating the website itself as i already read about the servers and i half to say -caugh- its about dang time -caugh-

sorry guys i had to :lol:

i know im kinda new being one of the 2012 recruitment's, sort of speak lol, i may not know any web designing but i have been watching anime online
alot lately and i got to say a few things just to be one of those reminder guys that when your designing the new layout for the site its self try a colorful
one with dark colors {and i dont mean something very crazy} but something better to look at would be a great idea, white and light blue screen ouch :shock: and yuck :down:
but i kept with it cause i love the sites idea wishing one day it will be greatly updated to other anime like sites but for amv's the design it has now reminds me of original yahoo design which was yellow and white talk about yuck and plan lol, even if you like kinda plan designs like classic one but want something better to look at heres a few sites to look at for ideas

http://kissanime.to/ simple design ,dark, easy on the eyes

and if you want one more modern

http://justdubs.tv/ which replaced "justdubs.net" and has little more modern design showing some famous anime character pictures on the side and fronts

as you can see darker colors are easy on the eyes for background design, id recommend dark grey close to black, like kissanime has, or any other dark color would be better
and if your going to use anime character pictures id go with some that are MEGA POPULAR CLOSE TO LEGENDARY STATUS to anime fans like for example

luffy zorro ichigo Rukia Vegeta and Goku

are just ideas to use, and about the other stuff on the org you could try using a better preview set up cause {and it may be the ancient servers causing it}
but after uploading videos the viewing system for the better word for it is "DAAAMN your ears just got knocked the F out" friday movie quote 8-)

so try a better video system then what you have which i think you have that idea in mind theres lots of different web-players like Divx and JW Player
are two most knowledgeable and easy to use ideas for better web-players there is others i haven't herd of as i now look at top 21 web player list

and a freaking delete button would be NICE it is very annoying to wait for web monitors to move off their asses lmao

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:12 pm

ClaudiusValentine wrote:http://justdubs.tv/ which replaced "justdubs.net" and has little more modern design showing some famous anime character pictures on the side and fronts
This is the general template for every illegal anime streaming/downloading site and probably not what we're going for here.

Return to “Site Announcements”