The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

CrazyDreamer
Org Profile

Re: The Big Bounce: New Server Fund Raiser

Post by CrazyDreamer » Fri May 22, 2015 5:17 pm

Niotex wrote: Uhh.. I'm bouncing off of the information that's given to me. :|
Phade wrote:We're still debating the exact configuration, but a single server with dual quad octo-core Xeon processors, 64GB ram, dual SSDs for system, and a big array of storage drives is in the $12-15k range. We could then segment the server for specific functions. That or we could go with different physical servers or something else.
Ah, missed that when going back and checking. What I get for posting when tired. Thanks.

CrazyDreamer
Org Profile

Post by CrazyDreamer » Fri May 22, 2015 5:25 pm

Phade wrote:We do currently have individual distinct physical servers for the functions listed. One replacement option is to have one big beef box that will do all of the site functions in one machine. Other options would have site functions in separate physical boxes with varying prices (more processing power for the database server, more disks in the storage and streaming servers, and so on). All of this depends on how much funds we can raise. My goal is to get very high quality machine(s) that will last very reliably for a very long time. We'll know how close we get to that goal over the next six weeks. :-)
Okay, so as I read this, funds raised will determine whether we can afford to purchased additional servers dedicated to specific tasks, but those would possibly be cheaper models because they don't need as much in some areas.

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Fri May 22, 2015 7:47 pm

CrazyDreamer wrote: Okay, so as I read this, funds raised will determine whether we can afford to purchased additional servers dedicated to specific tasks, but those would possibly be cheaper models because they don't need as much in some areas.
The amount of funds raised will determine the possible server or servers configurations. Server longevity is the goal. Any leftover funds will go towards normal monthly hosting costs so that the servers can stay on the web. :-)

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Fri May 22, 2015 8:57 pm

Phade:

So just to be totally 100% absolutely clear, if someone had a local video (confirmed and all that) but then it was made "unavailable" later, it will still be on this drive?
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Fri May 22, 2015 9:01 pm

Phade wrote:
CrazyDreamer wrote: Okay, so as I read this, funds raised will determine whether we can afford to purchased additional servers dedicated to specific tasks, but those would possibly be cheaper models because they don't need as much in some areas.
The amount of funds raised will determine the possible server or servers configurations. Server longevity is the goal. Any leftover funds will go towards normal monthly hosting costs so that the servers can stay on the web. :-)
This is where I feel some form of VPS for everything except hosting the actual videos themselves would at least be something to consider (none of them offer THAT much storage, that I'm aware of). Tons of providers to choose from, who all have multiple datacenters, and you're not worrying about spares if something breaks. Not to mention most providers will let you scale up or down easily as needed. Things could start out with some ridiculous setup, then after a while you can look at the traffic and other metrics to see what's actually needed, and scale it back to that to cut back on costs. As traffic goes up, add more resources to handle it, all without having to do much more than change a few settings in a control panel.

Longevity wise, they're always rotating hardware in and out as stuff fails or becomes obsolete, so that's baked into the monthly fees.
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

dazza1008
Org Profile

Post by dazza1008 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:20 am

Well, I've basically not been here for a long time due to not making AMVs, but it's great to see this movement happening. ^__^ I don't think the site's reached anywhere its potential. I've had useful help from the past in the forum because technical stuff isn't my forte. So I've got a soft spot for the site.

Regarding growing its userbase, it'll be interesting to see what user interactivity the new site design will provide. I think it would be good to see quick comments made under vids (I don't think anonymity is necessary... optional at best), because then we can see technical feedback that we might not otherwise see. Without the excessive opinion system, or the fact that only two opinions can be displayed.

Again, regarding the userbase growing... and regarding some possibly harsh feedback that can be given to people in the announcements forum to n00bs... erm... well, I think we all have a responsibility to help others grow... and the site grow... i.e. to not scare people off by sinking them in hellfire the first time they wander over and drop their slapped-together Naruto vid. I know there are some respectful people here, but I know some aren't.

Of course, as the site gets more popular, what's to stop that situation with Evanescence happening again? (the case where the lawyers forced removal of their vids here... at least, I think it was them) As far as I know, the only reason YouTube can host copyrighted music is because of ad revenue being given to copyright holders. Which is why my YT vids aren't being removed like heck. But surely someone's bound to notice?

Phade, one thing that I've never really understood - there are monthly targets to keep the server running, but it seems to always fall short of that goal - how has this place continued to run? Or who's been paying the rest?

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sat May 23, 2015 7:14 pm

dazza1008 wrote:
Spoiler :
Well, I've basically not been here for a long time due to not making AMVs, but it's great to see this movement happening. ^__^ I don't think the site's reached anywhere its potential. I've had useful help from the past in the forum because technical stuff isn't my forte. So I've got a soft spot for the site.

Regarding growing its userbase, it'll be interesting to see what user interactivity the new site design will provide. I think it would be good to see quick comments made under vids (I don't think anonymity is necessary... optional at best), because then we can see technical feedback that we might not otherwise see. Without the excessive opinion system, or the fact that only two opinions can be displayed.

Again, regarding the userbase growing... and regarding some possibly harsh feedback that can be given to people in the announcements forum to n00bs... erm... well, I think we all have a responsibility to help others grow... and the site grow... i.e. to not scare people off by sinking them in hellfire the first time they wander over and drop their slapped-together Naruto vid. I know there are some respectful people here, but I know some aren't.

Of course, as the site gets more popular, what's to stop that situation with Evanescence happening again? (the case where the lawyers forced removal of their vids here... at least, I think it was them) As far as I know, the only reason YouTube can host copyrighted music is because of ad revenue being given to copyright holders. Which is why my YT vids aren't being removed like heck. But surely someone's bound to notice?

Phade, one thing that I've never really understood - there are monthly targets to keep the server running, but it seems to always fall short of that goal - how has this place continued to run? Or who's been paying the rest?
Most of this post seems to have more to do with site generalities than either of the two threads being discussed currently (i.e. site design and servers). I know it has zero to do with the discussion on server pricing and configuration. Perhaps you should ask to have it to a more appropriate thread?

If it's an honest mistake, fine. But I can't help but feel like it's yet another inactive account coming out of the woodwork to derail the conversation when actual questions or concerns come up... :shrug:
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sat May 23, 2015 8:23 pm

dazza1008 wrote:Phade, one thing that I've never really understood - there are monthly targets to keep the server running, but it seems to always fall short of that goal - how has this place continued to run? Or who's been paying the rest?
Those goals are actually stupidly old and irrelevant to the normal monthly expenditures. I'll see about fixing that up...

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Post by Phade » Sun May 24, 2015 8:33 am

I am now ordering the SECOND hard drive for the full video dump! Yup, another $1000 donation has been made and received!! They did not say if I could release their name yet, so they will remain anonymous until I get an answer.

Keep going! You guys are awesome!! ^_^

Phade.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 24, 2015 10:41 am

I hadn't donated anything in 3 years apparently. Never really noticed. Rectified.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “Site Announcements”