Joshiraku

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Joshiraku

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:25 pm

ANN wrote:Joshiraku is a satirical comedy anime that follows the everyday life of a group of girls working at a classic Japanese comedy house.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Joshiraku

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:18 pm

META AS FUCK. Also evil to a certain extent.
I wonder if it'll be able to properly hold its satirical tones instead of failing and just become what it's making fun of (although it actually is making fun of everything). Episode one mostly worked, but it's going to be hard to keep at it.

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:59 am

This and Binbougami were the two I was actually really looking forward to this season, and I must say I am not disappointed. Also, like Binbougami's OP, the ED's pretty damn catchy.
Under Construction

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:55 am

It's funny. Will follow
ImageImage

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I wasn't really laughing in the beginning, but it picked up in the second half. :up:
Also, that ending is so freaking MOE! I LOVE IT! :ying:

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:45 pm

This, along with Binbougami, is easily becoming my fave this season, and possibly this year so far. It's like you rewatch it and find something new everytime.
Under Construction

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:46 am

Episode 2 was perhaps better than episode 1. I'm just glad that vale is writing notes and such after every ep, so I can understand stuff I missed or didn't fully get. Though it obviously isn't quite as amusing if you don't understand the cultural jokes to begin with. I still somehow enjoy it regardless even if I can't fully appreciate it due to cultural and language barriers, though.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:12 am

I gotta admit I wasn't very interested in this series (not exactly the most exciting topic) and I didn't know if the humor would translate well, especially if it involved puns. But I gotta admit it was pretty funny and breaking the 4th wall does work in this series. I think Binbougami has this beaten as far as getting laughs from me but I will definitely keep watching this, as they said in ep 1 if you're watching it for free you can't complain heh.

btw, I think this is the first series I've seen with "intelligent fanservice" in that seeing a girl get stripped ended up with an actual funny situation rather than a face-palm.

Zanzaben
Org Profile

Post by Zanzaben » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:50 am

I feel like this entire series and especially the ending theme is based all around puns that I don't get because I don't speak Japanese. I don't care because it is still really funny but does anyone else think that as well.
Zanz Bonus Points Tally
8bit_samurai: 1, CodeZTM: 1, Eake4: 2, ibabrak: 5, Mirkosp: 4, tipsd9video: 1, uncreative: 1

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:00 am

It's not just about thinking, it REALLY is that way. This series is very Japanese, so you won't be able to fully appreciate it unless you actually know the language and are aware of a good chunk of Japan's history and political situation and such things. That said, it still can be enjoyed, just not to its fullest. It's the very definition of a niche product, I believe.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”