Sword Art Online

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Sword Art Online

Post by mirkosp » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:32 pm

AniDB wrote:A genius programmer named Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya enters a virtual-reality, massively multiplayer online world called Sword Art Online. There is no escape from this world unless the player clears the game; however getting a "game over" results in the death of the player.

Kain-x-spirits
Org Profile

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Kain-x-spirits » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Well, yeah it's awesome. And it will be probably better than accel world. Might be my favorite this season.

TEKnician
Org Profile

Sword Art Online

Post by TEKnician » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:31 pm

I don't like the forced explanation.

"I am...you can't...100 floors...win or die...I are douche."

Waiting for the next WP just to see the heroine.
Almost as hard as fighting a Holy Paladin.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:38 pm

as an avid MMO'er I'm definitely liking this series so far, although it is a little annoying to hear everything explained (how can you watch an anime about an MMORPG and not know the basics of RPG's lol). Damnit, this is just reminding me that I gotta wait almost 2 months for guild wars 2 to come out.

Anyway, so far the animation is very nice, I hope the fight scenes are actually choreographed well and are not just a bunch of super moves (basically what accel world turned into). Any idea how long this series is supposed to be? hopefully longer than 12 eps as spending 1 ep just watching them grind boars and wolves is not going to work out lol.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:24 pm

Been waiting a while for this to air! Pretty good first episode. :up: I'm a fan of MMOs (though I don't really play them anymore) and this was pretty interesting. It reminds me a lot of the 1/2 Prince manga with the whole virtual reality game thing and even the twisted part of being trapped in the game, though in the 1/2 Prince manga it's for an entirely different reason. But they're similar in the sense that they're both twisted reasons.

Looking forward to the next episode! :awesome:

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Be sure to watch the part after the ending sequence, looks like we won't have to watch them grinding boars and stuff for a while lol.

And I'm trying to think of all the things that will kill off people without even the game doing it. For example, a power outage or losing your internet connecting for even a second will cut you off and then your brain gets fried. And it sucks for all the people without families or significant others, the game is gonna take probably years to clear so anyone without support to take care of their bodily needs is pretty much already dead.

Wonder what the game maker is doing in real life, when thousands of people are stuck in a game he made and constantly dying you gotta figure the government is going to do something about it (but then this is anime so never mind about the real life type stuff lol).

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:28 am

Best serie so far this season.
I hope their gonna have like stats to choose from so the people are even more different from each other (str, dex, agi, vit, int, luk, etc.). It seems that they don't have classes to choose from which is kind of weird but hey.. still awesome.
I can see the manga going forever.. I mean it has 100 floors and if they don't figure out other way to get out other then finishing the game it really could last forever.
Spoiler :
I wonder what does Kirito know that others don't.. you know the scene where he didn't want to team up with more then 1 person it surely has a reason.
ImageImage

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:36 am

Very awesome first episode. The story is slightly ridiculous, but still very awesome nonetheless. I expected much less when starting the episode. >.>

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:31 am

Jasta85 wrote:And I'm trying to think of all the things that will kill off people without even the game doing it. For example, a power outage or losing your internet connecting for even a second will cut you off and then your brain gets fried. And it sucks for all the people without families or significant others, the game is gonna take probably years to clear so anyone without support to take care of their bodily needs is pretty much already dead.
I believe they are hospitalized/taken care of in the real world. Along with that, the NerveGear slows down the body cycles. Keep in mind it's been one month already. "Only" 2k people died. In one month, 8k players survived, so there's clearly external support in place.
The alternative is that the fact they'll die is just a troll, along with the fact that it's been one month, but that would be anticlimactic. :P
ibabrak wrote:It seems that they don't have classes to choose from which is kind of weird but hey.. still awesome.
This is esily answered. There's no magic in SAO. Along with realism, this was done to prevent healing skills, which would make the game a great deal easier. So everybody does melee fight.

Also, trivia: main characters here will have a daughter after this is over with... Kuroyukihime of AW. The Brain Burst itself will be made by Kirito. I'm not quite sure if this is confirmed in the novel or otherwise stated by the author or if it's just hinted somewhere and the rest is a fan assumption. But one thing is certain, SAO and AW take place in the same universe, SAO in 2022, AW in 2046. The years to make this match up are there. :wink:

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:29 am

mirkosp wrote:
ibabrak wrote:It seems that they don't have classes to choose from which is kind of weird but hey.. still awesome.
This is esily answered. There's no magic in SAO. Along with realism, this was done to prevent healing skills, which would make the game a great deal easier. So everybody does melee fight.

Also, trivia: main characters here will have a daughter after this is over with... Kuroyukihime of AW. The Brain Burst itself will be made by Kirito. I'm not quite sure if this is confirmed in the novel or otherwise stated by the author or if it's just hinted somewhere and the rest is a fan assumption. But one thing is certain, SAO and AW take place in the same universe, SAO in 2022, AW in 2046. The years to make this match up are there. :wink:
Yeah, I didn't think of healers even after today's AW (yesterday's but I watched it just now). Well, let's just hope that they have at least some kind of hp regeneration

And yeah, it reminds of AW a lot... not that it's a bad think. :)
ImageImage

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”