Sword Art Online

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
ibabrak
Org Profile

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by ibabrak » Sun May 05, 2013 3:57 am

EkaCoralian wrote:It's a very rare occasion normally that I don't like a show that's really popular but short (the popular long ones - not really). This is probably the first example I've had where I just genuinely did not like a short, popular show at all besides maybe an episode here and there, and the premise.
And its nothing against the studio, because I'm sure they adapted the novels well enough. I normally really like this studio, anyways. Just... just feels really weird to really not like something that's popular and has very little hate (as far as I know).
If anything, I'll give the show kudos for an excellent soundtrack and pretty sweet animation. But yeah. :uhoh:
It might have something to do with the fact that even the author himself said that he doesn't think it's good. :)
There is a youtube channel DraconisMarchVII where the guy critiques the whole anime. There's three parts that are around 15 minutes long each. If you wanna watch it then look for "Review/Analysis: Sword Art Online | Part 1-3". People that can't take honest critique about the things they like probably should watch it since it would just make them mad. :)
ImageImage

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Mon May 06, 2013 6:02 am

EkaCoralian wrote:Just... just feels really weird to really not like something that's popular and has very little hate (as far as I know).
Actually this show seems to have a pretty big hatedom as well. The way people go at it, almost seems like there as many people who loathe it as there are people who love it.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon May 06, 2013 6:11 am

Hagaren Viper wrote:
EkaCoralian wrote:Just... just feels really weird to really not like something that's popular and has very little hate (as far as I know).
Actually this show seems to have a pretty big hatedom as well. The way people go at it, almost seems like there as many people who loathe it as there are people who love it.
The inner hipster has come forth breaking free from all this bullcrap chain binding them because of the soundtrack.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon May 06, 2013 10:02 am

I, personally, really liked the concept a lot more than the anime. I'd like to see another series like this, but with longer arcs like One Piece/Naruto/DBZ. There's just so many aspects that the idea could have explored, I was disappointed it was just a really angsty love story.

I still liked it though. Especially the soundtrack. Dem ops/eds. <3

OmNomNomAttack
Org Profile

Post by OmNomNomAttack » Mon May 06, 2013 9:20 pm

ibabrak wrote:
Eake4 wrote:
AceD wrote: I find it hard to believe people will watch it more than once.
Especially the second part...
I myself have watched it twice for the sake of editting but I just hate the second half. I do like the anime and I enjoyed it a lot when it aired but if I were to look at it from like writer's perspective I wouldn't give it a high score.
Yes, I have seen it fifty times <<or there abouts>> I have a lot of free time. While I respect that people can't believe someone would go to such lengths, it is my oppinion that this is a great show. Yes, there is quite a few flaws that would make it off putting for people to watch but I would rather overlook its flaws to the show I love.

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Surprised no-one's posted anything about GGO here yet.

So, this show is still a awful, disgusting power fantasy. So far this season hasn't gotten anywhere close to reaching the crazy levels of misogyny that were abundant in the first season, but it's still clearly otaku wish fulfillment garbage...

BUT, it's a really, really fun show to hate-watch, and if you enjoy watching horrible, offensive shit for the purpose of making fun of it afterwards, then you WILL have a good time with this show. I just don't understand how anyone can sincerely claim to love this show...
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:31 am

I don't really remember the first season being any more misogynistic than most other anime, unless you're talking about the crazy guy in the 2nd half of the first season who was trying to brain wash asuna. And since he was the bad guy and is sort of expected to be...bad, you can't really call the series misogynistic, at least any more than most other anime series. It keeps the fan-service relatively tame for the most part.

That said I never really liked the main character, and Asuna was delegated to a side roll for most of the 2nd half of the first season which was a downer. I also didn't like how Kirito was somehow able to break the game's rules just by the power of "feelings" or whatever (resurrecting himself, soloing a raid boss by himself etc). It ruins the whole point of them being in a game, where you expect them to have to work around the rules that have been established. When the main character is somehow able to break those rules it makes things a lot less interesting.

In that respect I liked log horizon a lot better as an MMO anime as the characters actually work within the rules of the game to succeed.

Haven't started this season yet, going to wait for some more eps to come out and then watch them all at once to get a feel for whether it's any good or not.

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:44 am

Jasta85 wrote:I don't really remember the first season being any more misogynistic than most other anime, unless you're talking about the crazy guy in the 2nd half of the first season who was trying to brain wash asuna. And since he was the bad guy and is sort of expected to be...bad, you can't really call the series misogynistic, at least any more than most other anime series. It keeps the fan-service relatively tame for the most part.
I didn't really think it was when I first watched the series, either. Then, a while after finishing the series, I thought about it and realised what the show was actually about, which is how great it is to have a perfect waifu. By the end of the first half of the show, Asuna has had any individual characteristics taken away from her, and has been stripped right down an object with all the desirable features for an otaku's perfect waifu. It isn't subtle, either. Kirito is a nerd who spends all his time playing video games, who ends up with all these different women (including his fucking sister) fawning over him. It is blatantly wish fulfillment, saying "hey otaku, don't you nerds wish you were like this nerd, who gets all these girls?". That is the entire purpose of the show, to provide a role for the otaku to insert themselves into, because they want to be Kirito, with their own little harem going on and a perfect waifu on top of that. However, that isn't what's really misogynistic about the show (like you sort of implied, there's a lot of other anime that do this) . What makes it truly awful is how, as I mentioned earlier,the show treats Asuna. She is nothing more than an object, designed purely to pander to the otaku's specific needs, and give them something to furiously beat off to. If that's not a misogynistic way to treat a lead female character, I don't know what is.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:03 am

otaku/loser who has women fawning over him describes like almost every harem series out there, there's usually a couple that come out every season. It's a pretty common feature in many anime/anime (lots of examples http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:H ... _and_manga). The female characters' shallow personalities in SAO are more of an effect of lazy writing than misogyny IMO. Although if you consider any harem anime genre itself to be misogynistic then I would agree that SAO falls into that general category.

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:00 am

There's a difference between a character being shallow and a character being turned into an object of desire. The reason SAO qualifies as more misogynistic in my eyes is because it steps over that line, and Asuna goes from a shallow, fuckable stereotype (as if in every other harem) into a thing to be lusted over. That's what separates them, in my books.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”