Sword Art Online

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Jasta85
Org Profile

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Jasta85 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:38 am

TEKnician wrote:
Jasta85 wrote:
Eake4 wrote:Sorry for the double post

The clock in Kirito's bedroom said 2022/11/06
the clip near the ending said December 2022.

Makes no sense to me how its not real time
Spoiler :
The words at the end said in the game's first month 2000 died, and floor 1 has yet to be cleared.

Basically they're skipping ahead a month, that means we'll be seeing all the survivors who managed to get through the first month, they've been in the world a bit and have graduated past killing boars and wolves. This actually makes me happy as we dont have to spend 3 eps watching people cry and stumble around clueless, we can get straight into the action. Also notice that Kitaro's name was crossed out.
Regarding that timeframe of one month...i am obligated to pose another thesis:
Spoiler :
Every person logged in at different times.

Over the course of one month, people have logged on and died from either physical effects or dying like a total n00b from a boar. The announcement from said douchebag Game Master seemed to be intentionally delayed until the maximum 10000 players logged in and THEN he made his appearance. It would be more dramatic for this to be held off until more people finally got in to the game to tell them all at once rather than explain this to the first people and they then spoil it for everyone else who logged in AFTER.

It also makes sense that 1 floor has yet to be cleared simply because there hasn't been enough time for one person to get through a floor in one day (or however much time they have to spend in a day) also because of the need to eat and take a dump. REMEMBER: It took Kirito a few months to get up to floor 8. HE WAS NEW LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE, but had lots of knowledge about MMORPGs.
There may have not even been time for people to get a message around the world that the game is a trap. Even so...many people may have not believed them until they died for real.

/thesis :book:
rebuttal :book:
Spoiler :
I'm pretty sure that after a couple hundred people died the first day after being hooked up to a new game that involves having people's brains plugged in probably alerted the authorities to the cause, and the fact that they die as soon as they are disconnected. It was probably on the news within a day of the mass deaths (and of course on message boards, chat etc, it's a big thing) so most of the world, especially gamers, should quickly be aware of it quickly. Plus they were very explicit in saying 10000 people, and then 2000 people dead. As the casualty numbers go up you're going to know that it's from 10,000. it would be weird for 9900 people to die and then for the game master to say, "oh, by the way 4000 more people have joined since i gave that announcement so there's more than just 100 people left". It would ruin the intensity of moment.

I'm thinking it's taking everyone longer to reach the 2nd floor now because
a. you gotta be really careful in what you do with death being permanent, so progress is obviously slower
b. competition over limited resources is going to slow people down, even the experienced players
c. there might be a lot of player vrs player fights going on because of panic/fighting over limited resources/eliminating the competition so that there's fewer people to compete against when going against the final boss
of course, it is an anime so you can't really count on logic explaining anything. where the heck is ep 2

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:48 am

Spoiler :
Personally I dont think they 'SHOULD' have player v player battles. If all 10000 people all walked at same rate shared experience points and battled bosses at the same time then they would easily overpower the final bosses.

Its like chess, you have a full set of pawns which will slowly progress and in turn achieve promotion. Im sure they would have an overwhelming victory against the boss HOWEVER greed is a bitch

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:20 am

Eake4 wrote:
Spoiler :
Personally I dont think they 'SHOULD' have player v player battles. If all 10000 people all walked at same rate shared experience points and battled bosses at the same time then they would easily overpower the final bosses.

Its like chess, you have a full set of pawns which will slowly progress and in turn achieve promotion. Im sure they would have an overwhelming victory against the boss HOWEVER greed is a bitch
Spoiler :
Yeah that's true.
I actually wanted to write that they probably would have to both accept the duel so that it isn't like a random ganking.

But then I rewatched the first episode and realized that there were scene where Kirito kicked Klein without any warning. Then I wild idea came to me. What if you can get items from a person you kill. That would make this kind of scary. People would mostlikely be either by themselves like Kirito is currently or form groups big enough for them to be intimidating for others but small enough for them to control the behavious of members of the group.. as Eake4 said, greed is a bitch and so are all other negative feelings like hatred. If one player doesn't like the other he'd likely wanna get rid of him.

Then again pvp could also be denied just by the thought that it's basically a murder. No one might find out but the guilt that would remain would still be strong.
But seriously guy, tomorrow is gonna be up episode 2 which is awesome. But this thread is already 3 pages long? :D I mean wow :awesome:
ImageImage

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:49 pm

so, ep 2 out. They got one thing right, there's always going to be whiners in any MMO you play lol. "All the beta testers got an unfair advantage because they played before, so they should apologize and give us all their equipment," Seriously? haha. That actually sounds exactly like players in free to play games that complain when they lose to a player who did pay.
Spoiler :
Was a bit anticlimactic as far as the reason why they hadn't cleared floor 1 yet, they just couldnt find the boss, doh. I thought it would be something more dramatic like they had run out of resources and wern't strong enough to proceed or something. Anyway, the fight scenes are ok although it seems that it revolves more around knowing the game mechanics and enemy patterns rather than actual fighting skills (although that actually makes sense since this is a game and that's how it actually works in MMO's).

Anyway, I get why he made himself out to be the bad guy in the end (he doesn't want everyone hating all the beta testers so he makes himself the "Beater" while saying all the beta testers wernt any better than the other players) so that they all just hate him alone. But at the same time I wish he would have just told them to shut up and deal with it. No one's going to admit their a beta tester if everyone's just going to rage at them heh.
So far the series is decent, not quite amazing but better than a number of the others this season, I think I'm just impatient because this keeps reminding me of all the cool upcoming games I have to wait for.

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:54 am

This episode was just way too amazing.
Spoiler :
I did like the fighting scenes. I thought that the fact that there was more players then in beta test version would be the reason why nobody cleared first floor, well this worked too and it was kind of unexpected and it actually makes more sence then if there weren't enough resources or if the boss was too strong.. I mean it's first floor. To be honest I think that the boss was way too strong for a first floor and that Kirito probably was in party during beta test in order to defeat it.

I like Asuna. I hope she somehow follows him and they form a party :)
ImageImage

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:28 am

Kirito looks too much like Saito in Zero no Tsukaima.

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:22 pm

I forgot to mention
Spoiler :
We can probably roll out the option of PvP. After what Kirito said (even if he did it with good will) at least one of those that were present would try to beat him up.. if not many of them.
On another note; The big guy with that axe seemed also pretty sympathetic. Might see more of him or even of that hater with pointy hair.
And yeah, it seems that the do have a health regeneration |:>
ImageImage

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:34 pm

ibabrak wrote:I forgot to mention
Spoiler :
We can probably roll out the option of PvP. After what Kirito said (even if he did it with good will) at least one of those that were present would try to beat him up.. if not many of them.
On another note; The big guy with that axe seemed also pretty sympathetic. Might see more of him or even of that hater with pointy hair.
True that. But then he also-
Spoiler :
Mentioned he has valuable information that they'll need if they want to clear the game and live. So I imagine people won't be trying to kill him but more like capture him or even join him if it means survival. :P

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:39 pm

AimoAio wrote:
ibabrak wrote:I forgot to mention
Spoiler :
True that. But then he also-
Spoiler :
Mentioned he has valuable information that they'll need if they want to clear the game and live. So I imagine people won't be trying to kill him but more like capture him or even join him if it means survival. :P
Spoiler :
I seriously doubt PvP isn't allowed, (honestly I think the story would be a bit boring if the only things they fought were AI controlled stuff). As for why they didn't attack him, well it's because he just said he's really experienced, plus he just got the final blow on the boss getting a bix XP bonus and a rare item. I don't think anyone wants to risk getting killed (especially when death is final) attacking him recklessly.

On the other hand, if PvP isn't allowed right now I have a feeling there will at least be certain zones or areas later on in which players will be fighting against each other, probably at the higher levels before they get to the boss. I just find it hard to believe that they'll be in an MMO where there's no pvp action.

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:47 pm

Spoiler :
I think that the fact that he knows more then others is given for he's the beta tester. Well, he did put up quite a show.. for all those scared people it could evoke all kinds of emotion such as fear, respect, hatred, jealousy.
I don't think that they will try to capture him, though. For they just let slip away their best chance. Kirito obtained that Coat of Midnight which is probably really handy, at least for the early game. It will most likely allow him to exp/farm faster then the others (makes sence) and create even bigger gap between him and the others. Even without the knowledge. But let's face it, the knowledge is probably really most valued in this game since it's normally obtained by failing to kill something, but in this game there's no such thing as gaining knowledge from my own death.
oh Jasta posted before I was finished with my post..

Well, yeah.. I too hope that there will be pvp but it just didn't look that way so far. I share the opinion that it might be possible at higher floors. Most games have all kinds of futures that are only after like level 10-20 (ex. Ragnarok.. most likely WoW.. not that I know :uhoh: )

There are so many things to discuss that it hurts.
This needs to be super super long anime
ImageImage

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”