Sword Art Online

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Eake4 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:15 am

Waiting for Episode 2

Im wondering whether the game progresses on real-time because Kirito took 2 whole months to finish 8 levels and if he was to even be 100 times faster than before wouldn;t his body be dead. (I might;ve missed something)

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 am

ep1 was great but my gut feeling tells me that this show can go downhill if not done right.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:50 am

I don't like being spoon fed. That being said, it's refreshing to be issued the challenge of surviving. We'll see I guess.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:18 am

wow, this thread sure took off lol, and ep 2 not even out
Eake4 wrote:Waiting for Episode 2

Im wondering whether the game progresses on real-time because Kirito took 2 whole months to finish 8 levels and if he was to even be 100 times faster than before wouldn;t his body be dead. (I might;ve missed something)
watch the very end of ep 1 after the closing song, it will shed some light on that.

I wonder how they'll do fighting in this series, there's no magic and it's apparently going to revolve around swords (or close combat weapons) so the action should be semi-realistic (unless high level fighters somehow get skills that are comparable to magic).

But I have a sinking feeling that with 100 levels that this series is going to end inconclusively unless they pick it up for additional seasons. But Accel world is at least 2 seasons long so I can see this one being at least that long.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:38 am

Jasta85 wrote:I wonder how they'll do fighting in this series, there's no magic and it's apparently going to revolve around swords (or close combat weapons) so the action should be semi-realistic (unless high level fighters somehow get skills that are comparable to magic).
I feel that they will "gain" speed and skill by gaining Exp points and possibly upgrade armour and weapon strength with money they get. Health may be pretty limited but if its like a normal game then eating crazily will keep your health up and even when you have 1% life left you still can attack at full strenth.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:41 am

Sorry for the double post

The clock in Kirito's bedroom said 2022/11/06
the clip near the ending said December 2022.

Makes no sense to me how its not real time

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Eake4 wrote:Sorry for the double post

The clock in Kirito's bedroom said 2022/11/06
the clip near the ending said December 2022.

Makes no sense to me how its not real time
Spoiler :
The words at the end said in the game's first month 2000 died, and floor 1 has yet to be cleared.

Basically they're skipping ahead a month, that means we'll be seeing all the survivors who managed to get through the first month, they've been in the world a bit and have graduated past killing boars and wolves. This actually makes me happy as we dont have to spend 3 eps watching people cry and stumble around clueless, we can get straight into the action. Also notice that Kitaro's name was crossed out.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:14 pm

Jasta85 wrote:
Spoiler :
Also notice that Kitaro's name was crossed out.
Spoiler :
For all we know and care, Kitaro is a Mister Nobody. The main character is Kirito, who is well and alive.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:15 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Jasta85 wrote:
Spoiler :
Also notice that Kitaro's name was crossed out.
Spoiler :
For all we know and care, Kitaro is a Mister Nobody. The main character is Kirito, who is well and alive.
Spoiler :
Exactly what I thought, Who the hell is Kitaro?

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Spoiler :
I believe it is somebody who we've never saw nor we'll ever see. The focus of that one ending scene was just to show that Kirito is still alive, one month has passed, and nobody of the 8k survivors have made it past the first level. The position of the camera that puts Kirito's name at the top (leaving space for another name under it) instead of the center in that shot is likely due to two things:
1) The sign that fades in after a bit is right at the center, in order to actually catch the viewer's eye and make sure it gets read as it is important ─ it would have covered Kirito's name had that been in the center as well, and as it would have been mostly white on white, it wouldn't have been the easiest to read;
2) Seeing a name getting striked out from so close, with a clearer sound effect, right before the aforementioned message appears, makes it all that more obvious what the striked names mean, so it's a further confirmation that Kirito is still alive but has not made it to level 2.
Keep in mind that SAO is mostly targeted at a somewhat young audience, which loves to be spoonfed every little piece of info that needs to be known or understood; episode 1 was largely an infodump, which reflects this belief of mine. I doubt we'll ever find things left unexaplained or to be guessed/understood by the viewer on his own; if there will be apparently illogical things happening, they'll likely either be explained later on, or it's actual plot holes.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”