Sword Art Online

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Magicflier
Org Profile

Re: Sword Art Online

Post by Magicflier » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:13 pm

MrSharingan wrote:Awesome Series but Part II was nowhere near as good... Couldn't even finish part II but the first series was awesome!
Then go finish it, do it so you can watch the second half.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:53 am

is the second half of season 2 any good? I watched through the part where they caught the murderers killing people in real life and then dropped it. Kirito remains one of the main characters that I dislike the most in just about any anime series. I end up rooting for the guys he's fighting against even though I know they won't win. He makes too many illogical decisions but always ends up winning because the plot demands it. hell, he comes back from the dead when thousands of other people died simply because...feelings? rant over

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:32 pm

Jasta85 wrote:is the second half of season 2 any good?
Episodes 15-17 are complete filler, which is not a criticism in itself, but nothing very important happens in these. You may enjoy it, only you can decide.

As for episodes 18-24... if you've watched all of SAO I and SAO II up to this point, then I would definitely recommend just finishing the series. These episodes... I believe the less said about them, the better. I thought they were very good and that it wouldn't be worth it to spoil anything about them to any potential viewers. This is the sort of thing where you're better just not knowing anything going in to them. But I will say two things:

I really like Sword Art Online. And I even like Kirito but he's a terrible character for all the reasons you mentioned and more. There's something about that which I find endearing, it's hard to explain. Kirito shows up in every episode in the series, but he's practically a secondary character in this final arc, so if you're sick of him or at least his Gary Stu-like perfection, you're in for a treat!

Also, the casual misogyny of both SAO I and SAO II always felt unnervingly creepy to me. The rape scenes didn't flow out of the plot and felt tacked on simply to titillate viewers. (Don't believe me? Look at how well those scenes are animated! It's like you're there!) Thankfully, there's no more of that to be found here, either.

If you're a fan of SAO, just watch it. It's one of the better conclusions to any series I've watched in a long time.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:02 pm

That post was a lot longer than it needed to be and it's sad that no one has posted anything on this whole subforum in the 2 weeks since then.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”