Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:03 pm

A movie trilogy based on the manga by Kentarou Miura, transposing to anime the titular golden age arc of the manga.
Wikipedia wrote:This arc is a flashback showing Guts' youth and what led him to become the "Black Swordsman". Guts grows up as a young mercenary until his enrollment in the Band of the Hawk. He develops complex relationships with Casca and Griffith, the Band's charismatic leader and holder of the Crimson Behelit, who leads the Band to its rise and subsequently its fall within the Midland army.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Re: Berserk: The Golden Age Arc

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 pm

mirkosp wrote: A movie trilogy based on the manga by Kentarou Miura, transposing to anime the titular golden age arc of the manga.
Note that it won't stop at 3 movies, as stated in the title it's just covering the first major part of the storyline. (hell they better not stop, so much of the cool stuff comes after the golden age arc).

Anyway,
Spoiler :
I was bit suprised at the animation, felt like I was watching a video game cinematic rather than an anime, but after getting used to it, I like it. Different but definitely well done, only small complain it that movements felt a bit too stiff in a number of parts but it's not a big deal.
I felt like they skimmed over a number of key parts like his past, (happy they didn't go too visual with the rape part lol, the fact that this was a theater release probably explains that) and honestly I don't mind. Anyone who has watched the old series or read the manga already knows this part by heart.

I'm hoping the next two movies get released quickly because all the serious "berserk" action doesnt come until later, especially with Guts going up against the apostles. And I REALLY want to see him in the demon armor, I can really see it being awesome with the animation they are using.

and they BETTER HAVE PUCK, seriously, how can you not have a flying fairy sidekick for the hero of the story, this series will fail if he gets left out.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Mmmh, anidb says it's 3 movies. ANN also explicitly says it's a trilogy. So I believe this arc will be transposed in just those 3 movies.
If they do more movies to adapt other arcs, then cool, I'll edit the title and the op post to encompass that (so that it's a generic thread for all Berserk movies), but right now we only know about this trilogy about the golden age... or did I miss some news along the line?

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 pm

did a quick search, this is where i remember reading they were doing the whole series, although since it's a wiki it's not really proof. but honestly, I don't see how you can make movies on berserk and only cover what the old series has already covered, unless the movies are a complete flop in sales they'll definitely continue them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Berserk_films

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:03 pm

I seriously cannot wait for all three of these films to be released. I've had this amazing vision inside my head of an epic AMV using Berserk for AGES now, and with the movies, I can finally do it justice.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 am

Well, for the time being nothing is certain about a follow-up. When we'll know more I'll update.

Anyway, I still haven't checked out the movies. They've been licensed over here, so I'm just waiting for the eventual dub, but one thing that bugs me that I've been reading is that apparently it's pretty much just 3CGC, which is not going to stand well with me...

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:27 am

Watched a trailer and hated the animation. I doubt I'll bother with this.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:46 am

Oddly enough, I just grabbed the series a few days ago.

Though....
Kevmaster wrote:Watched a trailer and hated the animation. I doubt I'll bother with this.
This. I despise CG. However, I do find it quite awesome that I read this part of the manga and know what's happening in the trailer!

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:59 pm

Was ok, the original is far better...grittier, better development.

Movies will only really shine when we get to the new content, was still a good watch though

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:45 pm

AceD wrote:Was ok, the original is far better...grittier, better development.

Movies will only really shine when we get to the new content, was still a good watch though
I hope you mean the original manga is better (definitely) but the original anime? no way. while the CG may not agree with everyone, it isn't all that bad, and I really love the battle scenes, the combat in this is definitely a head and shoulders above fighting in most other anime series/movies. Hell, in the original anime series all the battles were mostly just still shots with lots of shouting with the occasional single combat scenes. Also, the beginning and middle of the golden age arc focus on medieval type content with Zodd being the only major supernatural thing to really occur.
Spoiler :
As for grittier stuff, they passed over the black swordsman arc, which while disappointing I could see why. It deserves a movie all on its own and they probably wanted to start chronologically to introduce the cast. We'll see plenty of gritty parts in the third movie I'm thinking, the 2nd movie looks like it will end around when Guts leaves the band of the hawk (and maybe Griffith being imprisoned), that leaves the 3rd movie to show Griffith's rescue, something that involved fights with a bunch of assassins and another demon, (not shown at all in the original anime) and then of course the climactic eclipse ceremony, which is going to be amazing.
I'm really hoping after that the next movie includes the blackswordsman arc.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”