Sakamichi no Apollon ─ Kids on the Slope

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Sakamichi no Apollon ─ Kids on the Slope

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:16 pm

For example, in episode one, the hand scene a bit after the 5 minutes mark... to me (and not only to me, but to many other guys as well), that looked quite gay. It just looks really homosexual to a guy.
Perhaps to the author and to girls in general it seems normal. It is the kind of scene you'd see in shoujo and josei manga a lot, after all. But to me, even if it isn't actually homo, it does look that way, hence why the "undertones" as slimed put it. There were other scenes as well, but that first one was already one of the most ambiguous in the whole series.
I know full well the author did not mean for any homosexuality to be in this, but the execution doesn't exactly make them look as manly men doing straight things... though only every now and then.

With that out of the way, I'll say it again: this show is really good and is worth checking out. And it's not gay.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 pm

Couldn't have been said any better. This is definitely one of my favorites of this whole season, and that's saying a lot because this season was stacked with great animes.

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:23 pm

It's just yaoi shippers having a bit of fun. Chill out. XD

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:45 pm

mirkosp wrote:this show is really good and is worth checking out. And it's not gay.
Aren't you contradicting yourself there? :ying:

Ok, but in all seriousness, I can't wait to watch it. In my experience josei anime tends to have the most interesting drama and characters. Judging by what you guys have been saying (about the quality of the series, not about the seemingly shounen ai undertones) it probably won't disappoint :D

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm

As gay looking as it may seem I still gotta hand it to her. The ending was awesome :awesome:
ImageImage

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:22 pm

I have no words for how much of a mess Bon is, Jesus Christ. :|

Though that end was pretty awesome. Kind of weird, but awesome. :up:

LovelySmily
Org Profile

Post by LovelySmily » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:43 pm

the ending was great but i expected more..i still want to know what happened between those 8 years!! n why did sen disappear .. did bon forgive him?? how's things with ri-chan .. but it was GREAT can'r deny !! i cried at the train secen T^T.. it was bitersweet ending ^_^
Try and fail, but don't fail to try

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 pm

^ That whole post should be in a spoiler tag. But yes I agree, there were a lot of things unsaid.

Emong
A Damaged Lemon
Org Profile

Post by Emong » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:05 pm

It was a pretty great series. I loved the setting (60's and all that) and the characters were not too predictable and neither was the plot. Although a lot of the romantic drama got caught up in the usual, boring deadlock of misunderstandings that takes a whole series of episodes to resolve. That's simultaneously too frustrating and too comfortable for the audience. It also felt a little too hasty, as if the creators of the anime just wanted to stuff 30 episodes worth of material into 12 episodes. Occasionally it made the series feel like a collection of empty plot devices.
Spoiler :
For example was there any other reason for Sentaro going missing than to somehow turn the ending into a nostalgic reunion? Felt more like an empty plot device than a genuine resolution to the story.
But, all that being said, it was really nice :up:

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Emong wrote:
Spoiler :
For example was there any other reason for Sentaro going missing than to somehow turn the ending into a nostalgic reunion? Felt more like an empty plot device than a genuine resolution to the story.
Spoiler :
I thought that was because he felt guilty for the accident and couldn't really face his family considering he only just started getting along slightly better with his foster father.
But the ending was pretty nice. Although I wasn't really expecting
Spoiler :
the timeskip. Or at least I was hoping for a bit more explanation regarding his leave and how the others coped with it in those 8 years, not in great detail but some shots here and there to show how they lived would have been nice.
Only a minor complaint though, it was definitely a great show. :up:

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”