Hunter x Hunter (2011)

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Re: Hunter x Hunter (2011)

Post by Chiikaboom » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:55 am

Jasta85 wrote:Were you able to find any evidence that Alluka is a girl? From what I've seen (way back when this arc first came out in the manga) Alluka was considered a boy. They state earlier in the series that the Zoldycks have five sons. And every character except Killua refers to Alluka as a boy. I think the reason Killua calls Alluka a "she" is because his personality is more like a girl and Kullua always considered him a little sister rather than a brother. There was also a Hunter x Hunter databook that came out and described all the characters which also said Alluka was male. granted it did come out in 2004 which is before the current arc existed.

Alluka does dress as a girl but so does Kalluto (the brother who joined the Spiders) so it wouldn't be all the strange for both to be somewhat the same in that respect.
She refers to herself as a girl. As does Killua, the only person who cares about her. Thats all that matters. Thats all the proof you need to know shes a girl. The databook addresses the references that shes most likely AMAB - but how she identifies is all that matters. Insisting otherwise is transphobic.

Alluka doesnt just dress as a girl - she refers to herself as female. From what I know Kalluto refers to himself as male, as do others. He's probably just a boy who likes to dress feminine. Alluka is not the same because she uses feminine pronouns and insists on being called female.
Image ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am

I can't really participate in this thread, as I'm still pretty far back in the series (around episode 42 or so) but godDAMN if this show isn't extremely entertaining and well done. Togashi really knows how to write story arcs and create captivating characters. Madhouse's animation is also fantastic. I've been consuming HxH in bursts, trying to pace myself, but it's very difficult.

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm

Chiikaboom wrote:
Jasta85 wrote:Were you able to find any evidence that Alluka is a girl? From what I've seen (way back when this arc first came out in the manga) Alluka was considered a boy. They state earlier in the series that the Zoldycks have five sons. And every character except Killua refers to Alluka as a boy. I think the reason Killua calls Alluka a "she" is because his personality is more like a girl and Kullua always considered him a little sister rather than a brother. There was also a Hunter x Hunter databook that came out and described all the characters which also said Alluka was male. granted it did come out in 2004 which is before the current arc existed.

Alluka does dress as a girl but so does Kalluto (the brother who joined the Spiders) so it wouldn't be all the strange for both to be somewhat the same in that respect.
She refers to herself as a girl. As does Killua, the only person who cares about her. Thats all that matters. Thats all the proof you need to know shes a girl. The databook addresses the references that shes most likely AMAB - but how she identifies is all that matters. Insisting otherwise is transphobic.

Alluka doesnt just dress as a girl - she refers to herself as female. From what I know Kalluto refers to himself as male, as do others. He's probably just a boy who likes to dress feminine. Alluka is not the same because she uses feminine pronouns and insists on being called female.
Well I won't press the issue. Yoshihiro Togashi purposely likes to keep the gender of some of his characters vague. for the longest time there were arguments over whether Kurapika was a girl or not. you never see him without his upper body covered, for example where other characters strip off their shirts he keeps an undershirt on. When leorio are sharing a room in one scene, leorio walks in naked and Kurapika freaks out and beats him up. and when they capture kuroro, he says the he never expected the chain user to be a girl (kurapika was disguised as a woman at the time) but a lot of people thought it meant that kuroro actually knew kurapika was a woman. It wasn't till the author actually said he was a man that there was actual proof going either way.

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 am

Jasta85 wrote:
Chiikaboom wrote:

Well I won't press the issue. Yoshihiro Togashi purposely likes to keep the gender of some of his characters vague. for the longest time there were arguments over whether Kurapika was a girl or not. you never see him without his upper body covered, for example where other characters strip off their shirts he keeps an undershirt on. When leorio are sharing a room in one scene, leorio walks in naked and Kurapika freaks out and beats him up. and when they capture kuroro, he says the he never expected the chain user to be a girl (kurapika was disguised as a woman at the time) but a lot of people thought it meant that kuroro actually knew kurapika was a woman. It wasn't till the author actually said he was a man that there was actual proof going either way.
Alluka's gender is not vague, she is female. She calls herself female so she is female. Genitalia is actually irrelevant because gender and sex are 2 separate things. Kurapika is male. He is referred to as such, therefore he is male. End of story really.

Some genders can be debatable, like Neferpitou for instance. But Alluka's and Kurapika's genders have been confirmed from the get go. Questioning them based on "BUT DO THEY HAVE A PENIS/VAGOO" is transphobic. Trust me, as a raging feminist, I know my gender stuff.
Image ImageImage

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Alluka is a girl :| And Kurapica was always a male and we all know that...the characters never refers him as "Onna no hito" ("That woman" or "she"). Same with Alluka, what Chiikaboom says about how Killua refers about her is true...reading the manga it's difficult, dunno why some fansubs fight for the she/he, but voices in anime are always a help for this kind of thing...

Anyway, Togashi is always a troll about this. When I watched on TV the old Hunter X Hunter series, the latin dub changed some things like Illumi being a woman, Senritsu being a man and Hisoka being a french poet....derp.

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:29 pm

PS: Pariston's voice was an important concern to me, but his seiyuu is perfect :D!

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 2:53 am

So, the election arc is just about over, what happens now? the manga is still in the next arc, and on hiatus (Again!). Unless the author suddenly starts pumping out chapters they're going to have to put the anime on hold again, which is exactly what happened with the first series. The last OVA of the first series ended with the greed island arc and that was in 2004, 10 years ago! and in that time we've only had the chimera and election arc completed in the manga. how long is it going to take to finish the new world arc?

Chiikaboom
memes
Org Profile

Post by Chiikaboom » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:45 pm

The series is ending in 2 more episodes, it was confirmed a while ago.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... 148/.77699

Also the manga is on hiatus due to Togashi having severe back pain so imo he can take as much time off as he wants.
Image ImageImage

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Grand finale :(

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:05 am

Welp, guess have to wait a while for continuation , but was an enjoyable ride <3
Still better than that MMO.

Return to “Anime Series Discussion”