Hourou Musuko

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby post-it » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:59 pm

Corran wrote:I hope this show doesn't go in that direction.
Gender Identity is one thing; physical modification goes way beyond being able to accept yourself for who you are...
my point exactly; that's where its headed and THAT's why I dropped it. The manga's more specific about why .. .. ...
User avatar
post-it
 
Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Status: Audio: bass remains; if else, 3D

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby hasteroth » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:09 pm

and seriously, with Gender Identity Disorder, accepting who you are means accepting that you are one gender inside the wrong body. I am in fact extremely offended by the suggestion that it is not.
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
User avatar
hasteroth
lost the bet
 
Joined: 25 Feb 2008
Location: Around
Status: Neither here nor there

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby Otohiko » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:42 pm

hasteroth wrote:and seriously, with Gender Identity Disorder, accepting who you are means accepting that you are one gender inside the wrong body. I am in fact extremely offended by the suggestion that it is not.


I'm extremely offended by the suggestion that you are qualified to speak on symptoms, causes and treatments of Gender Identity Disorder, having neither academic background nor actual clinical experience in anything relating to it.
Otohiko
 
Joined: 05 May 2003

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby Jadecavy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:47 pm

hasteroth wrote:and seriously, with Gender Identity Disorder, accepting who you are means accepting that you are one gender inside the wrong body. I am in fact extremely offended by the suggestion that it is not.

Dom, please stop. Yes, we know about your self-diagnosed disorder, but really, no one wants to hear about it 24/7. So I ask as kindly as possible, please just stop mentioning it, is it really always relevant? If it's not a way to attract attention as you claim it's not, then prove it and stop mentioning it.
User avatar
Jadecavy
 
Joined: 08 Oct 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby Corran » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:09 pm

post-it wrote:
Corran wrote:I hope this show doesn't go in that direction.
Gender Identity is one thing; physical modification goes way beyond being able to accept yourself for who you are...
my point exactly; that's where its headed and THAT's why I dropped it. The manga's more specific about why .. .. ...

The series ended today and I don't agree with this comment. The show never really went there...


Anyways, I really enjoyed this show.
User avatar
Corran
 
Joined: 14 Oct 2002

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby Kain-x-spirits » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:37 pm

Even if this show was kinda boring, I really enjoyed the end
Spoiler :
yuh because at least nitori still loves anna, and anna = best girl of this anime
User avatar
Kain-x-spirits
 
Joined: 31 Jul 2007
Location: Lyon, France
Status: Hahahaha~

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby guy07 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:38 am

What an uneventful end to the show. I feel sort of cheated.
User avatar
guy07
 
Joined: 08 Sep 2003
Location: T.O.
Status: Back in beard.

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby Sukunai » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:22 am

I've really liked the show, and personally found post-it's comments totally repulsive actually.

As for my own self, well I happen to know plenty about the subject. I had no beef with the show. Was glad someone in the anime realm was interested in making the effort. Just another reason I like anime so much. More than just cartoons.
Anime, one of the few things about the internet that doesn't make me hate the internet.
User avatar
Sukunai
 
Joined: 02 Jun 2006
Location: Ontario Canada

Re: Hourou Musuko

Postby Emong » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Just watched the final episode.

I totally appreciated this. I was also curious about the topic and how they would handle it. My first worry before seeing this was that it would turn the transgender topic into just another object of fanservice but it is clear from the very beginning that this show is quite serious about the subject. You can't really say Schuichi and Yoshino are just there to fulfil your hentai fantasies.

My second worry was that it would be transphobic and I really tried to pay attention to the clues it might give off. I'm glad I didn't find many of those (although I'm not so glad to find them on this thread...)
Spoiler :
but the ending can be arguably read as a transphobic one. One could draw a parallel between this and for example Western lesbian films, which tend to end in some kind of a tragedy. Although these films usually depict their lesbian characters in a seemingly positive light it happens that either the other partner in the relationship turns out to be a manipulative bitch or then she just dies. The underlying message is ofcourse: If you're a girl, don't mess with other girls, because you'll end up betrayed and heart-broken. In the same way even though the protagonist is depicted here in a positive light and her (yes, I insist on "her") dressing up as a girl is encouraged, she nevertheless makes up her mind in the end to not live up to her female identity. Nevertheless, the ending is left quite open and I hope the manga takes a better direction from there. I agree with the above posters who said that it would be interesting if they were to do a second season with the characters undergoing a physical sex change.


I'm not the right person to say whether this was realistic or not. Maybe if a transgendered person can relate to the characters it is? It would be quite a contrast to the wide range of shitty "LGBT" anime out there. I'm obviously refering to yuri and yaoi here, both of which often tend to be sexually objectifying, completely ignorant of gay issues and ironically homophobic :?
Image Image
User avatar
Emong
A Damaged Lemon
 
Joined: 10 Nov 2006
Location: The Jade Motel

Previous

Return to Anime Series Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests