Take your time...

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Take your time...

Post by Kevmaster » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:13 pm

Fun Facts:

- this video is absolutely nothing for viewers with short attention span!
- first solo video in almost a year.
- encoding/exporting process took me almost exactly 24 hours.
- annoying glitches that appeared after encoding couldn't be fixed, sorry for that.
- it probably helps to understand german.
- the org needs more black metal videos.
- kevmasterflashdeluxe is a faggot.
- I freakin love vodka.
Last edited by Kevmaster on Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Re: Take your time...

Post by dreamawake » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Kevmaster wrote: Blahblahblahkevsafaggot
\gets

Emotive
...the Meditant
Org Profile

Post by Emotive » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:15 pm

Hey, help me choose here:
Horror House - 3000 yen
Mole Whackers - 2000 yen

Wait what?

Edit: Hey, loved it, unexpectedly much! :o

Easily my favorite video of yours.
Last edited by Emotive on Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:20 pm

My thoughts:

Fuck vodka, whiskey is the drink of champions.

I liked the first 20 seconds.

...held onto it for as long as ya could, didn't ya? :amv:

ShatteredFlame
Org Profile

Post by ShatteredFlame » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:32 pm

The song kept me interested, it was pretty awesome, and I actually sat through the whole thing |:> . But yea, I probably would have enjoyed the vid more if I understood German. umm....3.5/5 I guess :S

-BL-
Org Profile

Post by -BL- » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:33 pm

zomg Dornenreich <3

/gets video because of the song

edit: I knew that song before watching yer vid, so I kinda expected to see something different. It's the first time that I saw a vid with Dornenreich and it wasn't a bad attempt either.
I just couldn't get into it because I had my own interpretation of the song and it didn't matched with what you've visualized with it.

Trotzdem netter Versuch etwas mit deutschem Black Metal auf die Beine zu stellen =)
Last edited by -BL- on Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Reda-
Org Profile

Post by -Reda- » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:58 pm

This is a tough video for me, there were some things I liked and other things I hated. First I'll start with what I liked ^_^

I liked that you took the time to make this, it shows a lot about you. An 8 minute song is a crazy thing for an editor to tackle, so the video length is at least commendable. Second good thing I liked about this video was that I was able to get through it all. The visuals you showed and the places you went with the anime changed frequently enough to keep me watching and at some points in it I didn't even notice the editing; I was just watching what you showed me. That very rarely happens with an AMV it seems.

And now to the down points. First off the quality was very iffy. Many of the blacker scenes looked very washed out, and I know you mentioned you had some problems on the export, but those are things you need to work out before the actual release. Don't spend like...I dunno how long you spent on this...but lets just say a month. Don't spend a month editing a video and then take a day to release it because you just want to throw it out and let the fan mail pour in. You need to take the time to make sure every aspect of it is done correctly because people WILL notice these things. I don't know how many were in the video total, but I noticed at least 3 weird distortions, colors, etc that were obviously caused by your export.

Next, I was entertained up until about 3 minutes in because your editing changed up quite a bit, and I really kind of liked that, and I can totally understand because of how long the video is. I know you're going to want to change up a lot in a video this long as time passes. But you really lost me on the blurs, and the radial blurs, along with the black and white shit. It really felt like you were just throwing down everything you knew how to do at that point and it was painfully noticeable. I would rather see a really polished effect or style of editing throughout the video, but some elements in this were really strong whereas others felt painfully underdeveloped. The lack of consistency really started to get to me.

The song change at 5:20 is absolutely unbearable as well. The source continues but it feels like we're listening to an entirely different song. I'm not sure if thats due to your editing or if its just the song, but it felt really jagged and disjointed, so what I'd ultimately suggest is if it were possible, just cut your song off there if you can't edit with the change adequately.

Decent video, worth a watch if you can sit through it. It's 7:51 in length, plus credits.

3/5 :up:

If you feel patient enough I would really encourage you to work with your export more and re-release this or switch out the mp4, so we don't have all that leftover video garbage in there.
*sips tea*

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:27 pm

>people complaining about the production quality of a black metal video

Encoding and shit means nothing, it got on my nerves too when I was rendering my post-rock video. Who cares, it's the content that counts.

Well uh, where to start on my comments on this. It was pretty much one of the very few projects on the org where I honestly could say that it was worth making. Considering when you discovered Dornenreich and when I saw you scrobble that song more than usual I'd say you didn't spend a year making this, which SOME editors on here DO for 2mins of yet another generic J-Pop M@D. It's more than 8mins long which pretty much makes my post-rock video look bad so next time I'll have to edit a 13mins song, fuck you.
( :down: )

I'm just gonna pull out the things that I noticed, I'm not planning on being objective cause seriously that never worked with me and AMVs, actually doesn't work with me and music or me and paintings either. So w/e.

I was always picturing a black metal AMV to be in the style of black&white high contrast dark and frostbitten woods of the usual album covers. But instead it was a black metal video by Kevmaster and influenced by the personal interpretations of the music. So in the end what I got was a very soft relaxing take on things, with a kind of sexual symbolic under the main focus of things. The grey overtone felt like a hint at a certain feeling of oppression and made watching the video a bit uneasy for the viewer.

Even though this is probably my least favorite song on that album you can IMO instantly see what a difference expressive and atmospheric music can be for a video. I also can understand why you choose this song since it has good lyrics to build up a very nice plot on. While I rarely can follow any clear storyline when I haven't seen the anime before in an AMV at least in this video I was able to see that the plot somehow felt like it wasn't just randomly thrown together and following the anime (especially since I think that Cossette is overused as hell, but here I didn't find most of the scenes I was waiting on. They were there though, just not as in your face as I'm used to).

More objective than personal speaking this would still be a great video though. Given the time spent on it, the fact that you don't write a full essay on it in the video info to show how DEEP and IMPORTANT it really is, and the fact that I could really feel some passion in there makes this overall a really good video.

:up:

AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach
Org Profile

Post by AaronAMV » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Win :up:

LeapofFate
The Madvillain
Org Profile

Post by LeapofFate » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:44 pm