A Claymore vid, set to Heart's "Crazy On You"

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
WesW
Org Profile

A Claymore vid, set to Heart's "Crazy On You"

Post by WesW » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 pm

Caution: This video contains graphic violence.
Btw, since this is a direct link, I would like to hear any comments for making the vid better. If there are some things that need improvement, I can perhaps upload an improved version at a later date.
I am also looking to get involved in beta testing, both of my own vids, and yours if you are an editor. Just let me know some way.

Story notes: Claymores are a society of women who hunt down monsters, and are named after the huge swords they use. In order to sense and defeat the monsters, who can disguise themselves as humans, Claymores have to become part monster themselves, and run the risk of becoming completely monsters if they go too "crazy" or berserk, i.e. use too much of their monstrous abilities.
Claire has learned never to show emotion, since emotion can betray weaknesses or pain in battle. However, the emotions are there if you look for them. She is a young woman with a tragic past, a lonely and dangerous present, and little if any hope for the future- until she saves the life of a boy, a boy on the cusp of manhood. The boy becomes her companion, and slowly Claire starts to comprehend something new- a future of something more than just endless battles.

Composition notes: In some ways, this is the darkest and certainly the most graphic vid that I've made so far. However, I'd like to think that its main theme is about hope for the future. The romance scenes may be a little unsettling for some, given the age of the boy, but I felt they were necessary to stay true to the lyrics of the song.

Song notes: Ripped from a cd and brought to you at a crystal-clear 512kbps.

If the video won't play, get this codec pack.
Editor of Classic Rock Productions - "Old-school editing for old-school Rock"

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:30 pm

I'll take a look.

Yarry
Org Profile

Post by Yarry » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:50 am

Made my browser crash twice, then I gave up :S

FinalResolve
Org Profile

Post by FinalResolve » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:07 am

Firefox - Tools>Options>Content>Manage...

You can change the file action from there so it won't open in the browser.

Oli.C
Org Profile

Post by Oli.C » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:08 am

Always interested in a Claymore vid!
/gets

EDIT: I found this one quite difficult to sit through to be honest. Perhaps this was because the music wasn't up my alley or because the moods between anime and song felt really mis-matched... :?

WesW
Org Profile

Post by WesW » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:27 am

Yarry wrote:Made my browser crash twice, then I gave up :S
If the vid tries to open in your browser, you need to stop the download and use the "save target as" option. Afaik, all direct-download vids are like this.
Oli.C wrote:I found this one quite difficult to sit through to be honest. Perhaps this was because the music wasn't up my alley or because the moods between anime and song felt really mis-matched...
Well, this vid is more of a character profile than anything else, so don't expect it to be all hack-n-slash.

Yarry
Org Profile

Post by Yarry » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:41 am

WesW wrote:
Yarry wrote:Made my browser crash twice, then I gave up :S
If the vid tries to open in your browser, you need to stop the download and use the "save target as" option. Afaik, all direct-download vids are like this.
No, that just saves a .php document on my disk, however what FinalResolve said worked :)

Anyway, regarding the AMV: It's one of the first Claymore AMVs I've actually liked. Nice flow imo. Although the music doesn't go that well with Claymore (imo), I actually think you made it work quite well.

Keeper

FinalResolve wrote:Firefox - Tools>Options>Content>Manage...

You can change the file action from there so it won't open in the browser.
Thx mate :)

Full Metal Sempai
Org Profile

Post by Full Metal Sempai » Thu May 01, 2008 1:48 pm

I liked the song(though hearing it first time) and I love the anime but their combination in your video didn't feel good.Lyrics-wise the scenes matched a lot but the mood wasn't there.Simply put,I couldn't feel any connection between the video and the audio.Sorry...

Synch-wise it was pretty good.You relied on the lyrics and chose the appropriate scenes but still the leaps between what was happening were a bit large.You spent quite a lot footage from the 1st episode,moved to Claire's feelings towards Raki(with also a bit of her past) and then you showed Raki with Priscilla and the Claymores giving their last battle.

Anyway,3.5/5 and good job editing-wise.
Try to find a song that suits more next time.
(Well,not like my song was any better but anyway)^^

Autraya
Zero Punctuation
Org Profile

Post by Autraya » Fri May 02, 2008 1:03 am

ohhh man I remember "bopping" to this song as you did with cyndy lauper styled hair (done with a crimper and whole can of hair spray of course) and hot pink lipstick.... the leg warmers made me extra trendy >.<

/gets to re-live more traumantic childhood memories

*edits* ok I think that it not fitting to the music is actually beig caused by a generational gap. I can see how it "fits" and why they dont feel that it fits.
I think that you have improved in leaps and bound in terms of editing, using several different types of syinc and experimenting with your editing program AND you picked up premiere faster than i did.
Things I didn't like: the border at 2:46 ... was that a flashback? i dont know what it was there for, it just didn't add anything for me. and the opening credits... colour/style just didn't fit. Overall tho this one just lack punch and uniqueness, as in it just didn't feel like it stood on it's own from that other claymore vids it seemed almost like an idea you had in your head and just had to get out.

aand that's about it.
new banzors in the making :p

WesW
Org Profile

Post by WesW » Fri May 02, 2008 10:55 am

Autraya wrote:ohhh man I remember "bopping" to this song as you did with cyndy lauper styled hair (done with a crimper and whole can of hair spray of course) and hot pink lipstick.... the leg warmers made me extra trendy >.<

/gets to re-live more traumantic childhood memories

*edits* ok I think that it not fitting to the music is actually beig caused by a generational gap. I can see how it "fits" and why they dont feel that it fits.
I think that you have improved in leaps and bound in terms of editing, using several different types of syinc and experimenting with your editing program AND you picked up premiere faster than i did.
Things I didn't like: the border at 2:46 ... was that a flashback? i dont know what it was there for, it just didn't add anything for me. and the opening credits... colour/style just didn't fit. Overall tho this one just lack punch and uniqueness, as in it just didn't feel like it stood on it's own from that other claymore vids it seemed almost like an idea you had in your head and just had to get out.

aand that's about it.
After I read the initial posts here and had some time to think about it, I realized that this vid is actually more of a chick-flick than anything. A dark, bloody one, but nonetheless one in which you have to empathize with and kinda crawl into the head of Claire in order to really "get it". (Reading the vid description is also crucial here.) Since empathy is something that generally increases with age, the older you are the more likely you are to do this, and vice-versa unfortunately.
I also doubt many people are prepared to put on their thinking caps when they watch a Claymore vid, either.

As for the border, it was indeed a flashback. The line goes:
"I was a willow last night, in a dream..."
What I was going for here was that Claire is realizing that she might not make it out of this battle alive, and was flashing to the hopes she had just started to have for a better future. Instead of her life flashing before her eyes, since it was so dark, her dreams of a brighter future were flashing before her eyes.
I realize that this was a lot for someone to catch onto, but just so you know that it wasn't random.

In this vid, Claire develops romantic feelings for the boy, which didn't happen in the series, and I highly doubt any other vids try to make such a romantic connection, so I do think this vid is unique.
When you talk about punch and uniqueness, I think you're talking about action sequences, and this vid was never meant to be about the fighting, but rather about how the fighting affects Claire.

I actually haven't downloaded any Claymore vids other than FMS's, so I don't know what they are like. I'll get some of them when I get back to my apartment next week.

Anyone have any recommendations for good Claymore vids?

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”