Not your typical AMV: So good, you'll cry

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:27 pm

Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:33 pm

:( :( :(
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 pm

I find it hilarious that people are blaming AVI for sound and visual quality when it has nothing to do with the quality. Avi is just acontainter. its whatever codec your using, and possibly the settings for that codec thats making the avi crappy. It might even be possible to use the same codecs in the WMV format in an AVI file with some hacking.

Also, seeing as the source files you used have the divx logo, arn't those avi's? did they suck before you used them?

If you don't use DVDs, the quality will suck somewhat anyway unless you use a realy high quality HD raw. If you did use DVDs and grabbed clips using Divx, don't. Divx is a pain to edit to because it uses Keyframes. any codec that uses keyframes is a pain to edit to. Read the guides provided to you on the site for help on codecs that you SHOULD use and settings to use with them to get avis to look good.

Installing the AMVapp application will give you all the necessary codecs.

That being said, WMV can actually be made to look good, but its not as efficient as H264 and Xvid, (and in my opinion doesn't handle animation very well compared to the other 2, It is optimized more for live action) so people who know what they are doing generally don't use it. In most cases, reason people stay away from WMVs is for that reason, not necessarily that they are knocking the codec itself.

niji tsuki
Org Profile

Post by niji tsuki » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm

O-h-h-h, ok. I knew I hated DivX for a reason. Every time I cut a clip, the WMM wants to go belly up on me. And yeah, the DivX logo is because I ripped it before I knew how to take it off. And the quality after being ripped was mas-o-menos (so-so). Aside from DivX, I have no idea what codec I'm using *n00b moment* (I may have been here for a few years, but I'm not a techie).

And to Cornwiggle - Come to think of it, another AC video of mine (The Angel of Death) primarily did use the "High quality video (NTSC)" setting and it came out with good quality (except for the ending which I forgot to save in the right format - my brain was dead that early in the morning). *End transmission to Cornwiggle*

Hmm... what starts as a thread about a video turns out to be a thread about video making in general. You know what, with the newfound knowledge I'm gaining here, I might just remake the video with all this new technical stuff. You can go ahead and keep adding your techie wisdom to the thread, but let's start concentrating on the content: how's the artistry? Technical problems aside, what did you think of the essence of the video? The emotion, the sentiment, the romance, etc? If I were to remake this video, what would you want to see different (aside from tech things, please).?

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:53 pm

:( :( :( :(
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:09 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:well this is the "break down" to steps (to make it easier)

1. Rip and convert DVDs choose - one
2. import and set up
3. Edit to your taste :) (the fun part)
4. export
4.5. Clean up with AVIsynth
5. compress your Video and your Audio
6. upload to the org

Trouble Shooting:
1. Windows Movie Maker FAQ
2. Windows Movie Maker Forum (on the org of course)

i hope that makes it easier?
also YOU can cut your song, i know you can, i have done it in wmm myself

niji tsuki
Org Profile

Post by niji tsuki » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Minion wrote::( :( :( :(
I never said you had to make it, Minion. If you don't like this video so much, why do you keep posting on it?

Come one boy! Turn them frowns upside-downs!

That way you'll have a bunch of upside-down frowns! Image

Last edited by niji tsuki on Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:12 pm

:( :( :( :( :(

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:26 pm

I actually liked the Video..but Quality sucked and DivX-logo was distracting.as well the sepia-effect wasnt needed..but all together..

3/5

Minion
Org Profile

Post by Minion » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:29 pm

it's almost as reliable as "every song goes with Lain". "kev likes every video"

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”