Too hot for AX! See the video THEY don't want to show you!

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Postby jbone » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:01 am

Jeez...if it wasn't good enough to be shown at AX, why should I bother downloading it?

;-)
User avatar
jbone
 
Joined: 12 Jan 2002
Location: DC, USA
Status: Single. (Lllladies.)

Postby Kusoyaro » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:07 pm

Beowulf wrote:
ErMaC wrote:Judges are full of shit a lot of the times. Brad Demoss won two awards at A-Kon he ABSOLUTELY should not have won. You know why he won? Because he's Brad Demoss. Jesus Christ he won best artistic for showing racoons playing the banjo.

More Than Toast has swpet every JACON. You know why? Because there MTT and they ARE somebody.

It fucking makes me sick.

Uh huh.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.
User avatar
Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
 
Joined: 16 Jan 2001
Location: HOT FUCKING

Postby anneke » Fri Jul 12, 2002 3:35 pm

I wonder if people now believe me more about my statements about Ermac's attitude at Fanime. :lol:

My videos did not make the finals either. I had one that would have been in the comedy category, and I believe would have been funnier then Cyber Eye Candy. I'm sure there are others as well. So even if what you thought were bad videos were taken out of the contest, doesn't mean yours would still have made it to the finals.

One observation I would also like to make. If memory serves me right, Ermac's video contain noises/sounds that could be taken as 'sexual' the Excell video did not contain sexual sounds. So maybe it wasn't the visual part of the video that makes a video be DQ, but the sound. Just as explicate lyrics can DQ a video.

I don't know why my video didn't make the finals. I'm going to assume it was because they didn't want to endorse drugs, and make the audience go on a drug trip with my video. :D

Complaining that a video didn't make the finals due to judges like another video better then another is okay, because that's a very subjective thing.

Being DQed from a contest is not a subjective thing. They decided your video did not quality for an exact reason, but you don't know the exact reason so don't try and guess about what it is. Leave the dang judges alone.

Maybe it got DQed for the amount of Live Action footage. That used more then 20%. Who says they have to actually time the Live Action Footage by the second. Maybe they did it by the minute. Meaning in a 5 minute AMV you can have only 1 minute of that time containing any non-anime footage. If your video's non-anime footage took up most of one minute then that minute counts towards the limit.

Example:

4 minute AMV. = 260 Seconds
20% of 260 = 52 seconds

In 1 minute of the footage, you have 52 seconds of non-anime footage. More then 50% of that minute had none anime footage so the minute is considered as being a minute of non-anime footage.

Therefore 1 / 4 = 25% was non-anime, therefore the video is cut.

Not saying this is how they did it, but it's a possiability. So don't just say that things were unfair. Maybe they were fair, just not how you would have done it.

So other then being DQ for Visual content, you could have been DQed for...

Explicate Sound/Lyrics

Non-Anime Footage (based on by Minute, not by second)

So stop complianing that it was just because of Visual content, when you don't know that it was.

Anneke
User avatar
anneke
 
Joined: 06 Apr 2001
Location: California

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 12, 2002 4:55 pm

anneke wrote:I don't know why my video didn't make the finals. I'm going to assume it was because they didn't want to endorse drugs, and make the audience go on a drug trip with my video. :D


*points to the video that won the Fun category*

Do you need a bigger endorsement? :P


As for the DQ debate I don't think anyone here really is questioning that the reasons for disqualifications are unclear. Personally I think that's partly a result of being vague in the submission rules.

I don't recall if you discussed this in any of your advice to cons posts, Anneke, but what would be your preferred nomenclature for ruling against explicit content? I'd be particularly interested in hearing your views as you have created videos using occasionally sexual scenes.

It's an interesting issue, especially as a great deal of what is appropriate is based on context. A head bouncing up and down can be seen as harmless in one instance and very explicit in another. Given this what would one rule against?

Personally I quite like the statement "If you wouldn't like your parents to accidentally see it then it's too explicit" ^_^;;;
User avatar
AbsoluteDestiny
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2001
Location: Oxford, UK

Postby NPC3000 » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:20 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:"If you wouldn't like your parents to accidentally see it then it's too explicit" ^_^;;;


:shock: Uh oh...that means I've seen/heard a LOT of explicit content...

Oh well, it's just another drop of a corrupted teenager in the bucket of millions :P
User avatar
NPC3000
 
Joined: 10 Feb 2002
Location: Wisconsin

AMVs

Postby anneke » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:28 pm

I believe what each convention allows is up to that convention. Yaoi-con allows R and X rated material into their contest because they know their entire audience is over 18.

Anime Expo is a convention for the more general population, and I believe that consists of alot of younger (age 13) viewers. As such they should be careful in what they choose.

For Ani-Magic one of the determinations we had was that 'Barbie-doll' type nudity was okay.

I also believe not only the type of sexual situation but the length of time it is on the screen affects this as well. The penis scene in the Excell video, was so fast that I nearly missed it, as compaired to the scene in Ermac's video which lasts for a large part of it.

I didn't submit my 'adult' video to Anime Expo, because I knew it wouldn't have passed their guidelines. Even if it does, personally I didn't want it to be seen by 10 year olds with their parents.

I learned my 'adult' video will be shown at Shoujo-con, and I was worried about it being DQ because of it's content. They have let me know they will be giving it a verbal warning before it's shown. This makes me happy, as it gives the parents time to take their 10 year olds out of the room.

Faces of Death is another example I'll use. Videos make it to the finals of contests, all the time. Even using the same scenes he has used. However it's the sheer amount and length of time the carnage is shown that makes it unacceptable for most conventions.

I hope that answers your question.

Anneke
User avatar
anneke
 
Joined: 06 Apr 2001
Location: California

Re: AMVs

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Fri Jul 12, 2002 5:46 pm

anneke wrote:
I hope that answers your question.

Anneke


Nope, I'm afraid that doesn't really answer my question at all ^_^;;;


I am aware of the differing content restrictions between conventions, that wasn't really my point. What I was getting at, and was curious as to your reply, was if you had to be specific about what can and can't be shown what would you say?

It's all very well to say "PG-13"... that statement really doesn't mean much. Sometimes I'm very surprised to see how things are certified and I dont think its at all clear what satisfies that standard.


In the UK we have the British Board of Film Censorship which have to classify everything before it gets sold in stores. They have the following guidelines for "PG":

Theme
More serious issues may be featured, eg crime, domestic violence, racism (providing nothing in their treatment condones them).

Language
Mild bad language only.

Nudity
Natural nudity, with no sexual context.

Sex
Sexual activity may be implied, but should be discreet and infrequent. Mild sexual references and innuendo only.

Violence
Moderate violence, without detail, may be allowed - if justified by its setting (eg historic, comedy or fantasy).

Imitable techniques
No glamorisation of realistic, contemporary weapons. No detail of fighting or other dangerous techniques.

Horror
Frightening sequences should not be prolonged or intense. Fantasy settings may be a mitigating factor.

Drugs
No references to illegal drugs or drug use unless entirely innocuous.


Not a terrible set of basic guidelines, really, but I think the main thing is that at least they are reasonably clear about things. Would you advocate a similar list be attributed to amv content for cons showing videos to the general public or do you think the "juges decision is vague yet final" rule to be sufficient? Given the apparent lack of criteria it seems that the judgement is based on gut instinct which isnt always a good thing as unless the video dwells on something the judge might miss something that a less tolerant person would find instantly offensive.

Anyway, it's food for thought. I'm wondering what I can get away with when using this Yami no Matsue footage as some of it is surprisingly explicit when looked at in a certain way. Hmmm, I'm going to have to be careful.
User avatar
AbsoluteDestiny
 
Joined: 15 Aug 2001
Location: Oxford, UK

actually...

Postby Shni 0 Pold » Fri Jul 12, 2002 6:47 pm

Only the hardcore fans wait in line for the tickets to the AMV contest, so it would be safe to assume that the little Pokemon/Hamtaro generation wouldn't be in the audience.
--Umm...I don't know...
Shni 0 Pold
 
Joined: 10 Jul 2002

List

Postby anneke » Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:26 pm

I love the list of criteria. I'm going to put it into my AMV guide. It's up to the AMV contest to determine, but what you have there is a very good guide.

Ermac's video I would not consider mild/infrequent sexual induindo. By judging on the precentage of the video/time that is in reference to the induindo. (I believe atleast close to 50%).

While the Excell video had a very brief scene.

I think to the list that was mentioned, I would also put that the judges can use their personal judgement abit to. Such as the Utena video in the Ani-Magic contest, had alittle to much 'barbie-doll' type nudity then we would have liked to show, but it wasn't about the nudity, it more used the nudity artistically. We decided that it was barbie doll nudity, and that was okay.

Sometimes it takes until you see the video to make a judgement on it.

I'm not saying the judges were right or wrong in what they choose to show and what they didn't, but I can come to a logical conclussion as to why they may have.

Anneke
User avatar
anneke
 
Joined: 06 Apr 2001
Location: California

Postby SpPANDA » Sat Jul 13, 2002 3:21 am

scary... drug trips...

[watches shameless rock video]
User avatar
SpPANDA
 
Joined: 06 May 2002
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Previous

Return to AMV Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Takei_Hisa and 5 guests