Animasia: The First Instrumentality Project

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:48 pm

Pwolf wrote: i think the coordinator should've had a max track length that was reasonable and short enough to keep viewers interested even when slow/boring tracks are playing...
Funny thing is the original coordinator for this project IS the author for that track ;p Although I do agree in my opinion that the track is too long, I did think it was a nice idea. And some people do like the video (Oto's favorite in the project I beleive), so I don't think it was a mistake in including it. We did say it was a mixed bag in that some will like some tracks and not like others most likely. I think thats a good thing that its that diverse, rather than the same stuff throughout and have some like all and others not like any. At least you'll be able to skip it If/when you get the DVDs though ;p

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:49 pm

Pwolf wrote:TRACKS ARE TOO LONG! granted thats only 2 tracks. if felt like you guys are trying to bore the viewer.... The first track was great, but way too long for a MEP, imo. By the time the track was over i was ready to stop the player and continue watching Band of Brothers. but i continued watching instead...
mm, i had started that one before the project was created, without originally intending it to go in a MEP. it is slow-paced, unlike the traditional mold of action/effects-heavy mep submissions, but the entire project is unlike the traditional mold of meps. i didn't mean to bore you with the slow pace, but to establish a mood in a manner that requires more attention (and with it, patience) than the typical mep segment.

as for rose's segment, i thought it had several good moments, but i was disappointed he gave up on the chroma effect (the pleasantville effect) i saw him use in a beta.

nice encoding job jasper and props to songbird for pronouncing so well that insane monologue i wrote for @;~',~~ :D
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:58 pm

Watched the first part. So far I don't know any of the anime used, and severly dislike one of them. Despite that, it had some really neat editing in there. There were a few parts where I think I wasn't supposed to crack up laughing, so I probably missed the deeper message. There was a certain scene with a pinwheel that just killed me. ^_^;

I liked the first half of the FLCL track - it was weird in a quirky funny way. But I've never 'gotten' vids for that anime, so you lost me halfway through. The extensive grayscale in the second half of part one bothered me, too, I kept waiting for splashes of colors when the songs changed and it never happened.

So far the project looks neat, plenty of room for creative effects (loved the soft ones used in the AzuDaioh track). The emotions aren't hitting home for me, though, because the most emotional track in part one was for an anime I dislike, and came off looking like random meaningless pictures of mundane things - it might help if I'd seen the anime and understood the significance of the scenes.

I've already seen one of the longer tracks in part two, but I'll get it to check out the rest.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:47 pm

Thanks for the comments, everybody. Your overall response is mostly what I had anticipated, but that just goes to prove that all is right with the .Org. :P

And just to clarify things once again - no, the past 21 months have not been spent creating these individual tracks. Most of those videos have been released over a year ago and could have been downloaded at any time. What took us so long to create were the intro, the slideshows, the voice-over commentaries - the idea of Animasia as a whole. The commentary segments were created, then created again from scratch, with new ideas sculpting and refinining them along the way.

As for some of the tracks being boring... well, I'm sure that people would agree that Fantasia has its boring moments as well :wink:, though those moments may be different for different people. So I'm really glad that people are finding different things in here to enjoy. To me, that's really what this project is all about.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:17 am

Arigatomina wrote: There was a certain scene with a pinwheel that just killed me. ^_^;
ImageImage

Out of idle curiousity, which pinwheel scene was it? There's quite a few in there :P

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:41 am

Tsunami Jones wrote:ImageImage

Out of idle curiousity, which pinwheel scene was it? There's quite a few in there :P
I had a wannabe laugh at 13:07, but it went away once I saw the background. It was the last clip that killed me - three seconds in I just burst out laughing. I know it wasn't funny. I know it wasn't. I heard the intro explanation. But the last clip just suddenly struck me as absurd - I thought "I'm watching a pinwheel spin to climactic music" and I cracked. ^_^;; So innapropriate.

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 am

This project was started by a small group of people mostly from the "artsy" niche that veer away from rock and pop and heavy beat syching to embrace a different style of editing overwhelmingly present in the final production. This project saw the rise of the instrumental video and the creation of the multi-editor project forum. Hopefully it will serve as a showcase in this age of effects and speed, of videos that march to a different beat. Hopefully they are not a dying breed.

I do not expect to see many album style MEPs. I expect the term will continue to be synonymous with "mixes" and "segments" but there is one thing that I would like to see adopted:

The Instrumentality project was an enormous collaborative effort. Though many videos were added after completion, most of them were inspired, planed, edited, tweaked, tweaked some more, and finalized within the animasia thread. Our rampant abuse of yousendit's servers continued unchecked as beta after beta was presented to the group. Ararat had at least 7 full length betas and Requiem had almost constant feedback through the editing proccess. I feel a great pride in many of the videos having wached them be created. Over a hundred forum pages and counless AIM conversations later I've had good times and made good freinds.

I may not have any studio affiliation, but in my mind, I'll always be a part of the Instrumentality group.

Thanks guys.

-Soren Berg

[Mike of the Desert]
Location: Earth -> Europe -> Italy -> Rome -> Cerveteri -> Sasso -> Home -> Mike's Room
Org Profile

Post by [Mike of the Desert] » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:41 am

It is OUT? °_° Oh men I was waiting for this :P /Downloading *soon*
ImageImage

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:19 am

Congrats on finally releasing this :D

Downloading now - I'm sure I'll be in touch w/ you guys regarding the Llamacon screener...

chambeyc
Org Profile

Post by chambeyc » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:03 pm

Very pleasant to see. The small introduction were very well done and give the project a special touch, though subtitles would have helped me greatly ^_^" (especially in part 2).

I agree with Pwolf: FLCL track was a bit too long for me, and Part2>Part1.
I found "Oratorio of Ghibli" extremely beautiful, my favorite part by far.

Another great MEP achieved. Congrats to all creators :wink: .

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”