Project REM Sleep (Happy easter)

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:48 am

This is the most mellow laid back Multi-Editor AMV that I have seen! Everyones track was very well edited, It's really hard to pick witch was my favorite. The nice scenes fit well with the music and matched the mood extremely well. I liked it a lot! 5/5

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:26 am

Unlike a lot of people in this topic, I like REM. I like REM a lot. I know 10 of the 12 songs that were used, and about 7 of them I know by heart.

I'm at 84% now, I'll watch it this afternoon when I get home from school, and I'll probably write a rather long op in a few days. Looking forward to it, hoping everyone did a really good job.

Coffee 54
Org Profile

Post by Coffee 54 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:46 pm

Great job all. I think I enjoyed UnderTow's It's the End of the World segment the best. I've always had a soft spot for that song.

JCD
Lord of the Dance
Org Profile

Post by JCD » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:19 pm

Good job all of you, it sets up a really calm mood, mostly sentimental happiness :)
Too bad the project had some technical flaws, its aspect ratio was incorrect, especially Triggit's track and some scenes had weird jerkyness (almost like field order problems).
Doesn't hurt the flow of the project too much I guess...

OtakuForLife
Org Profile

Post by OtakuForLife » Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:53 pm

So, far the only complants I've gotten are about the Credits and Tiggits segment. I stilll really like his segment though :)

pen-pen2002
Location: Grinnell, IA Procrastination Meter: Code Lemon-Lime
Org Profile

Post by pen-pen2002 » Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:18 pm

Glad it's finally out, you guy did a great job on this. The ballence between moods was excelent and the pacing was right on. No one segment stood out but there were a lot that were great videos in their own right. Good job everyone.

(I wonder how many people are seeding it? I was going at 600 Kb/s from only 4 of 20-50 sources. :shock:)

Tono_Fyr
Org Profile

Post by Tono_Fyr » Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:24 pm

Ehhh... the low video and audio (the quality of the audio in particular) really lowered my liking of this video :/ If there hadn't been such eye/ear sores, this video would have felt so much better. REMASTER THE ****ING AUDIO. At the very least do that. Low quality audio makes it hard to tell exactly what you're trying to synch to, and tends to mess with the flow. Also, some of the footage looked good, and some of it looked blurry (particularly the credits).

raikuu
Org Profile

Post by raikuu » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:08 pm

Tono_Fyr wrote:Ehhh... the low video and audio (the quality of the audio in particular) really lowered my liking of this video :/ If there hadn't been such eye/ear sores, this video would have felt so much better. REMASTER THE ****ING AUDIO. At the very least do that. Low quality audio makes it hard to tell exactly what you're trying to synch to, and tends to mess with the flow. Also, some of the footage looked good, and some of it looked blurry (particularly the credits).
oh, bollocks... beggers can't be choosers, just enjoy the video for what it is, a wonderful collaboration of editors working together for the same goal... whatever that may be.... :twisted:
yes, they... call me... EMO CAT-BOY...
And i'm sooo confused...

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:18 pm

Project REM Sleep
A mixture of the human experience.

(0:00 - 0:46)
(opening) Man on the moon - (She and Her Cat) - Otakuforlife:

You used 'She and her Cat.' That's a plus. I also liked how the [Sec1. Introduction] fit the 'Opening' mood for the Project. I liked the color changes to red, green, and blue. : )
I didn't like the intro text- the video quality made it look bad. I also didn't like the font used for the segment listings and such, and the video quality again made it a little difficult to read.
Also, the video wasn't cropped properly.

(0:46 - 1:46)
Everybody Hurts - (Key the Metal Idol) - Otakuforlife

Slow, calm, and simplistic. Short cuts, transitions and fades gave a little depressing tone.
1:38-1:48 : I thought that scene was slowed down waaay too slow.
The general mood of the concept was executed well, but it seemed to drag a little bit-the scenes were a little too long for me.
The mood was easily detectable, and the flow was nifty. Good job.

(1:46 - 2:34)
Drive - (Kare Kano) - UnderTow

I enjoyed this segment alot. It had a comical tone, and the lyrical synch was excellent and funny. [Example: Smack, crack, push, etc.]
The scene selections were well-picked. [I really like the Rock and Roll scene with Arima : ) ]
2:10-2:13 : The dance scene was nice
The fast fades were fit pretty nicely, but the text/subtitles that popped up several times during the segment was a little disturbing.

(2:34 - 3:34)
Losing my Religon - (Haibane Renmei) - Janzki

2:37: The blur cuts with the scenery was fit nicely.
One of my favorite segments. Solid simplistic editing, that was well-integrated with the flow of the music. Solid editing and scene selections gave a strong impact to the segment.
I liked the whole video concept with the two characters-the video's flow and concept was smooth and easy to follow.
Kudos to you, sir.

(3:35 - 4:28)
Shinny Happy People - Intersteller 5555 - [lmt]_lucas

Fun, upbeat, and fun. This was a really fun segment. The whole dancing theme in the beginning fit perfectly. Simple editing with excellent scene selections.
Dancing, and shining happy people. What more can you ask for?
Fun thrilling segment, enough said.

On a more of a personal note:
The music segment somewhat reminded me of Mad World by Gary Jules.

Transition from Shining Happy People, to What's the frequncy Kenneth:
Just wanted to point out that I liked the transition between these two segments.

(4:29 - 5:23)
What's the frequncy Kenneth - (FLCL) -ck25

Good segment. I liked your synch-[Example: 5:05, and 5:15]
I enjoyed how you worked around the footage at the echo guitar riffs.
It was simplistic editing with a few here and there effects plugged in.
I thought the ending half needed a little more 'bang' for impact. It wasn't as strong in impact to have experienced it to the upmost pleasure.
It had a good feel of FLCL's non-stop wild bang-crash action fun-upbeat scenes. :up:

(5:24 - 6:42)
Bad Day -(Arjuna and Animatrix) - TriGGiT

This was a top-notch segment. I really liked how you used the bird segment in the beginning.
I liked this segment a lot for several reasons- I loved the animation with the bikes, roads, and scenery, which fit so well in the beginning and the tid bit towards the end.
5:30 : The public service announcement- literal, and funny.
6:20 : The part with the pictures- I approve. It fit very well, with the great animation of the bike riding in the background.
I liked the segment's flow, as it had stages from the cheery bike-riding->having a bad day->to back where it started at.
This was, no doubt one of the best segments in the project. : )

(6:43 - 7:50)
End of the world as we know it - (Saikano) - UnderTow

Oh hey, its Undertow again.
Another comical segment integrated with serious scenes well.
6:52 -The sobbing guy's short lipsynch was pretty funny.
You've yet again managed to get it right on on the lyrical synch.
Solid editing, with funny scenes plopped in seamlessly.
The end of the <strike>segment</strike> world indeed.

(7:51 - 8:53)
Orange Crush - (Stink Bomb) - Kusoyaro

This segment had a gradual increase of 'Awesome' as it progressed further through.
8:38- the boxes! I felt the boxes gave a strong impact and feel to the video: excellent.
The execution of the chase with the music's flow= approved.
I would have to say I loved the musical transition from 7:51~8:37's mood to 8:38~'s. And you executed the flow of your video quite smoothly from one to another.
I have to say this again because I loved it: The boxes were awesome. There.

(8:54 - 10:00)
The One I Love - (Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust) - Raikuu/OFL

Oh no! [Not a big fan of Vampire Hunter D.]
It was better than I expected[Well, I never expect anything great from an anime I dislike, but this seemd to have overidden that]
It had pretty good editing with the action. I would have to say the concept wasn't as strong as I anticipated, for your segment was for the most part full of action- but I did see what you were going for your concept. Let's just say the segment had a mixture of action and video concept. : )

(10:01 - 11:24)
Great Beyond- (Revolutionary Girl Utena) - SarahtheBoring

I'll be honest: It sucked.

I'm kidding. It was splendid.
10:06-10:07 : I liked the water drip synch- Tis' a +.
10:11 - It flickers a little here as the footage moves down. I'm guessing it's the source footage's fault though.
10:18 - I liked this scene bit also. It seems you used a bit of keying here.

It got really good from 10:43- Really good.
The editing, scene selection, and synch was top-notch.
I especially liked how you ended the segment: 11:21~ Good shot of her face and whatnot. : )
I like this segment a lot- one of my favorite segments in this project.

(11:24 - 12:32)
(Ending credits) Night Swimming - (Aya) - Otakuforlife

<The ending to this project was a little confusing to me. I thought REM Sleep had ended with Sarah's segment, and then, up popped this little segment here.>

The segment was sappy and sweet. But, IMO, the fanservice killed the mood. Warm cozy feeling of...love? Yep, good segment.

Regarding the above confusion about the ending: I thought maybe running the credits and segment listings in THIS segment was more fit and approriate for the project, rather than in the beginning. Sarah's segment already seemed to have indicated the end of REM Sleep, and therefore would have fit your final segment with a "Ending Credits" theme.

Overall:
It was great. I didn't expect the project to come out this well. The project overall had many different themes and moods ranging from serious to funny-which was fun. To be honest though, I wasn't too fond of REM's music- but you guys have managed to keep me watching throughout the whole sequence. A applause for the Project Coordinator OtakuForLife and the editors.
Great work you guys. My ears are bleeding of excessive listening to REM.
Oh, and happy late Easter.
-AMVfreak
Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

OtakuForLife
Org Profile

Post by OtakuForLife » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:34 pm

Actually that track was going to be the ending credits but the opening credits
ended up working better. So, it became sorta a hidden track/special thanx
peice instead. Didn't have the heart to put credits over that video, the
gitch with the credits I could seem to fix after 8 trys and I said "I have more
important things to do with other peoples tracks that deserve my attention"
So, in other words the credits are all my fualt :). As for the long cuts in everybody hurts I was playing the overdrama-fiddle on purpose making
the shots drawn out and her tears slowly falling as her head mechanicaly
moved to the beat. Thanks for the rundown amv-freak, I appercate the
comments.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”