My First AMV

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
PKGINGO
Org Profile

My First AMV

Post by PKGINGO » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:05 pm

Hello all! My name is Chris, I'm a first time poster and finsihed my first video in october and was without a way to share it via these means. I'm not sure how everything works yet so please bear with me. There is one special thing about my video however, the text overlay you see done it from a program I've been working on. So far its a single argument text overlay frame server that can read uncompressed files (yikes I know... I'm learning). Hopefully I'll be able to get it to use FFMPEG in the future but right now I'm learning how to make use of directshow codecs : ). Its not near as good as Cinelerra is but maybe someday it can work along side it : ). Anyway enough about an infantile program, heres my first work:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=53892
I hope you all enjoy (I uploaded it LATE last night and fell asleep doing it LOL) and now I'm at school. BTW, I love that the post count is disabled, it really does stop spammers but it does look kind of bare over there... might there be something we can add to spruce it up? ;) THanks for maintaining such a wonderful community website with hosting space for the Huge amounts of media thats going on. And good luck to all AMV makers, learners, and experts! May their future endevours be fruitful!

billy_wires
Org Profile

Post by billy_wires » Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:54 pm

Hrm, not all that bad, actually. Good to get your feet wet, as they say. If you feel the need to get some help, there are always the guides, and you can ask specialized questions in the help forums. Just remember to search, and all that jazz.

So, the text overlay was from a program you wrote? Impressive. If you want help with that, I'm sure there are many programmers on this site, and I do believe tythril uses Cinelerra, but I might be mistaken.

Good vid, though. Some scenes were a bit long, others a bit out of place, but it's all good.

PKGINGO
Org Profile

Post by PKGINGO » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:29 pm

Thanks for the kind feedback : ). I'm doing this as a personal learning experience since I am no where near the nessecary level to be a full fledged program in my lifetime, I've fallen back on this stuff as a hobby and am focusing more on authoring than computers so I've got to take these things slowly but eventually I hope to get there, but I'm sure tythril's solution will be best for most. I know the video isn't that great, the song was too short and the segments I needed to show were either too short or too long and didn't fit the pace of the song without some extreme alteration. I only wanted to get the 'just' of the story out while playing on the theme of the song and giving a mildly entertaining insight on the climax's of it, that and not having alot of DVDs didn't help much either lol. On a last note, just so I can improve on my works in the future, what did you feel was out of place? I see you saw my problem near the end of trying to keep the emotional climax while still making it try to fit to the audio as best as possible. I also know the ending could have used alot more work. I am glad you liked it though. Once again thank you for the kind words.

billy_wires
Org Profile

Post by billy_wires » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:37 am

How about this: when I get some free time, I'll give you an opinion. That should give you a basic idea of what I thought. :wink:

PKGINGO
Org Profile

Post by PKGINGO » Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:28 am

Thats another question I kind of had, how does that[opinion thing] exactly work?

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:39 am

PKGINGO wrote:Thats another question I kind of had, how does that[opinion thing] exactly work?
. its quite simple, really; Opinions are given by "the Pro's" who know
what to look for in AMV's and can Isolate things that others have never learned.
. Each AMV has two(2) chances for improvements to be learned so every
opinion, by the Pro's, counts.
. and if you learn what the Pro's are telling you, your AMV's can someday
make "AMV History" 8-)
. An overall Score of 7 to 9 is Fanstastic, very few Pro's ever get - a "10"

8-)

billy_wires
Org Profile

Post by billy_wires » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:03 am

I wouldn't call myself a pro, but I will tell you what I think. Some might know me as someone who gives rather long opinions, but whatever.

PKGINGO
Org Profile

Post by PKGINGO » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:41 am

Long explanations are the best kind. They give you the most details on whats good and bad and help you identify it better. Thanks for being so supportive especially in my first vid topic that seems to have gone a little off topic. Had I known thats what the opinions were for I wouldn't have asked about that, I should search next time as you suggested, before I ask a stupid question like that. Thanks again!

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”