Aluminum Studios returns

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
aluminumstudios
Org Profile

Aluminum Studios returns

Post by aluminumstudios » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:13 am

Unless you read my livejournal, it may seem as if I've been a little quiet for the last year or two. I haven't really turned out many AMVs that I consider significant or touched my website (http://www.aluminumstudios.com) recently.

Part of the reason is that I started taking class again years ago and am studying Japanese at the U. of Pittsburgh. Editing time I used to have in the evening is taken up by studying because I have class every day Mon.-Fri. during the fall and spring semesters (in addition to working full time and doing normal everyday household stuff since I live by myself.)

Right now I'm slowly uploading all of my videos to the ORG so they will become available again (some are there already. My profile can be found here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... ser_id=201 ) I figured I'd make an announcement here for anyone who's wanted to download my videos but couldn't in the past few weeks. I'm re-encoding a few of them but expect to have them all up in the next week or so.

As far as AMVs go I've gotten a little tired of the traditional AMV. I mean, how many times can you watch a show re-cut to someone's ideas on it? I want to bring the concept of fan-art back to AMVs (an idea that got lost when everyone with a computer started doing them.) Fan-artists of various kinds draw their own pictures, write their own stories, make their own costumes, and out skits all based on anime. It's more than just writing different words in the bubbles above manga characters' heads, and I want to try to make my videos more than just re-arranging scenes because I have an idea or even slamming two shows together in a compositor. I have a major new video project I'm working on where I'm trying to make a video based on imagery and ideas from a show, but not necessarily footage straight from the show. I'm not limiting myself to images and video that are readily available to me. Because this is so far beyond anything I've done before I'm afraid I can't post any previews or many details until closer to it's debut which I'm hoping will be Otakon. This is my little teaser image from it: http://www.aluminumstudios.net/peak/sunflowers.jpg

And I'm proud to say this video has none of what I call "decorative editing" such as piano keys, strobes, picture-in-picture, filters, tricks of color, strobes, etc. I think sometimes people who get tired of just scenes use these things to try to make the video more ... but a cut scene with an effect added to it is still just a cut scene ... I want to do more than this and see more than this when I watch AMVs.

I need to get to bed. I'll make another post when all of my videos are available again.

Oyasumi nasai,

~Will Milberry
Aluminum Studios
~William Milberry
Aluminum Studios
http://www.aluminumstudios.com

azulmagia
Org Profile

Post by azulmagia » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:40 am

aluminumstudios wrote:I mean, how many times can you watch a show re-cut to someone's ideas on it?
Plenty of times...especially if it's Blue Mercury

[/flattery]
I have a major new video project I'm working on where I'm trying to make a video based on imagery and ideas from a show, but not necessarily footage straight from the show. I'm not limiting myself to images and video that are readily available to me. Because this is so far beyond anything I've done before I'm afraid I can't post any previews or many details until closer to it's debut which I'm hoping will be Otakon.
Fascinating....I don't know how you're gonna pull that off though but it would be nice to see the results

Daio Kaji
Org Profile

Re: Aluminum Studios returns

Post by Daio Kaji » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:48 am

aluminumstudios wrote:This is my little teaser image from it: http://www.aluminumstudios.net/peak/sunflowers.jpg

Oyasumi nasai, (goodnite?)

~Will Milberry
Aluminum Studios
that link/teaser made me call you a bastard... trust me, it's a compliment
i'm already hyper just thinking about it, just relax kaji... relax... :loses conscienceness:
If you're reading this, you've gone too far...PREPARE FOR RETRIBUTION!!
Don't judge an AMV by it's anime.. u nooB ;D

Tenjou
Org Profile

Sing, my angel of music!

Post by Tenjou » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:27 am

It sounds incredibly intriguing. I can't wait to see it. Though to be completely original in AMVs, shouldn't you write/compose/sing your own song? ^_~ Now that'd be a masterpiece. :D

SnhKnives
V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:54 am

Same.... I cant wait to see this thing.... I can tell already its going to be incredible. Ive alwyas been a big fan alluminum, long before i knew about the .org

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:17 am

Speaking as somebody who's seen a beta (What'd you show me at AlanCON, Will, about 1min20sec?), I can say that the next Aluminum Studios is nothing short of groundbreaking, and that it *will* begin a new age of AMV-making.

Put your lens flares and piano keys away, boys. We're moving beyond them.

-DOKool

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:24 am

Hey Will,
I understand what you're saying about the "traditional" approach to amv editing. And with that little teaser image, I can see exactly what you plan to do. In a way, you're just animating your own scenes. It will be difficult, but I think you can pull it off.

aluminumstudios
Org Profile

Re: Sing, my angel of music!

Post by aluminumstudios » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:05 am

Tenjou wrote:It sounds incredibly intriguing. I can't wait to see it. Though to be completely original in AMVs, shouldn't you write/compose/sing your own song? ^_~ Now that'd be a masterpiece. :D
True, true. Unfortunatly it's so hard for one person to do everything and I have no music talent ^_^;

Kusoyaro IIRC has done a video or two to songs performed by a friend or relative's band (I can't remember which) ... so original music has been used at least once before (probably more.)
~William Milberry
Aluminum Studios

aluminumstudios
Org Profile

Post by aluminumstudios » Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:45 am

dokool wrote:Speaking as somebody who's seen a beta (What'd you show me at AlanCON, Will, about 1min20sec?), I can say that the next Aluminum Studios is nothing short of groundbreaking, and that it *will* begin a new age of AMV-making.

Put your lens flares and piano keys away, boys. We're moving beyond them.

-DOKool
Thanks for the vote of confidence.

It probably depends on who sees it, if it's the Otakon audience they'll forget about it the second they see the next dancing Vash and Sumomo >_<
~William Milberry
Aluminum Studios

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:11 am

You better deliver the second comming of christ with this kind of hype.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”