Ebb and Flow

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
TheNanashi
Org Profile

Ebb and Flow

Post by TheNanashi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:11 am

So, I'm feeling a bit strange posting on these forums. I haven't really visited this site or been involved with the AMV community in years. It has been essentially 10 years since my last AMV. I haven't watched an anime or gone to a convention in many years. So I guess that brings me to this point. Last year I found a half completed AMV on an old hard drive and it was a video I started in 2006. Creating an AMV is generally an emotional experience for me so I was reluctant to dive back into it. But, earlier this year I began to feel compelled to finish it and so here it is. I hope you enjoy it or at least find it interesting.

Below is the youtube link.

[fixed youtube embed - Kireblue]
"Your focus determines your reality."

jt_x
Org Profile

Re: Ebb and Flow

Post by jt_x » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:28 am

I enjoyed it

TheNanashi
Org Profile

Post by TheNanashi » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:23 am

jt_x wrote:I enjoyed it
Thank you. I'm glad you found it enjoyable.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:04 pm

nice, can you also upload it to the local server ?
If you're too old and rusty and have forgotten already, don't sweat it there's a Tutorial video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqnI-XmWuQ

TheNanashi
Org Profile

Post by TheNanashi » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:24 pm

jt_x wrote:nice, can you also upload it to the local server ?
If you're too old and rusty and have forgotten already, don't sweat it there's a Tutorial video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fqnI-XmWuQ
Thanks for the info, I just uploaded it to the local server. It definitely took me a few minutes to figure out how to upload a video here again. Also I had to do some additional compressing on the video to get down to that 100mb limit. I'm not used to compressing videos very much anymore hah.

jt_x
Org Profile

Post by jt_x » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:50 pm

TheNanashi wrote: Thanks for the info, I just uploaded it to the local server. It definitely took me a few minutes to figure out how to upload a video here again. Also I had to do some additional compressing on the video to get down to that 100mb limit. I'm not used to compressing videos very much anymore hah.
thx I like watching amvs offline, I hate when youtube videos buffers forever. Using 10 bit helps get the size down and also helps with color bending.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:33 pm

We liked it. Did seem a little long for its concept.

TheNanashi
Org Profile

Post by TheNanashi » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:55 am

post-it wrote:We liked it. Did seem a little long for its concept.
I'm glad you liked it. I don't particularly like cutting songs down so I can understand how a 5 minute long song could drag from a pacing perspective. Plus I also wanted a bit of that draining emotion of a relationship/life roller coaster.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:45 am

This was really unexpected and will need some extra views to completely unpack. The more I watch it, the more I like it.

The 5-minute run time made me hesitant but it actually blew by really fast. Not a lot actually happens in this, not in the way we're accustomed to, but it was weirdly compelling and soothing in a way I didn't expect. I saw a few stock effects in this that I usually don't care for, but I liked how you used them. You went all in on the unusual melancholy/psychedelic combination and I think it was a big success. I also think -- like you need anyone to tell you this -- that this video just isn't going to be for everyone, but in spite of the static scenes that made up so much of this, I thought it flowed really nicely. Good job matching the "build" of the song from beginning to end, I always had the feeling that this video was going somewhere.

TheNanashi
Org Profile

Post by TheNanashi » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:03 pm

seasons wrote:This was really unexpected and will need some extra views to completely unpack. The more I watch it, the more I like it.

The 5-minute run time made me hesitant but it actually blew by really fast. Not a lot actually happens in this, not in the way we're accustomed to, but it was weirdly compelling and soothing in a way I didn't expect. I saw a few stock effects in this that I usually don't care for, but I liked how you used them. You went all in on the unusual melancholy/psychedelic combination and I think it was a big success. I also think -- like you need anyone to tell you this -- that this video just isn't going to be for everyone, but in spite of the static scenes that made up so much of this, I thought it flowed really nicely. Good job matching the "build" of the song from beginning to end, I always had the feeling that this video was going somewhere.
Thank you for the comments. I'm glad you liked it.

My intention with every AMV has always been more about emotion and storytelling than pleasing audiences. I am aware this can be divisive and I appreciate that you understand this. I get what you mean about the stock effects as well. I think many of them are cheesy, but they do have their uses. For this video, one of those was the find edge effect. I felt like it made the characters appear incomplete and hollow.

The build up feeling was important to me as well. I think many times our emotions build up over time and have nowhere to go. We internalize and then it becomes self-destructive.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”