Sky Journey - Critiques Appreciated

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Nopy
Org Profile

Sky Journey - Critiques Appreciated

Post by Nopy » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:10 pm

Hi all, this is my first attempt at making an AMV using actual editing software and not cutting/joining avi files. I'd appreciate any critiques that anyone can offer (i.e. what was good/bad? what you liked/disliked? what could've been improved?). I'm still trying to figure out how to do effects so if you think there's an effect I could've used to make this better, please let me know where I can find a tutorial (Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects). I wanted to make it feel airy/dreamy but didn't know how, so any suggestions would help.

post-it
Org Profile

Re: Sky Journey - Critiques Appreciated

Post by post-it » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:16 am

.. the timing doesn't quite work although the MOOD is carved in stone.

- to make things Dreamy is easy, its nothing more than
bringing-in the girl on the train to a point
a quick fade-in of him while both people fade-out while
revealing the train going down the tracks for a short while and then moving-on to the next scene.

- to make things Airy is a bit more complicated!

The biggest mistake everyone makes is confusing these two:
Dreamy is/are Impressions of events or thoughts; here After Effects are Welcome.
Airy is not defined therefor, After Effects are NOT Welcome.

hehe, whens the last time anyone ever thought of being in bed with someone
they only just met before knowing why you like them!?? ( same Airy concept )

The_McLaughlin
Org Profile

Post by The_McLaughlin » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:41 am

I really like the way this flowed together, paired with the song it made it seem kind of like flying through the sky so I really liked the concept. The first half flows really well, then at about half way it kind of gets slightly shakier in terms of flow. There are still alot of nice moments in the second half, more nice moments than bad moments, but it kind of felt like it just stopped flowing really well in certain areas toward the end. I still really enjoyed it. Good job.

Nopy
Org Profile

Post by Nopy » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:04 pm

@post-it
Thanks, I'll need to try fading in and out the next time I do a dreamy amv. That seems like such an obvious thing to do!

@animefreak7
The struggle I had was that the music is basically repeating itself in the second half and I didn't want to do the same kind of scenes as I did in the first half, so I ended up just putting in anything that was different. I see now how it does affect the flow.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”