System Failure

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Anarchy Music Videos
Org Profile

System Failure

Post by Anarchy Music Videos » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Tigrin
Org Profile

Re: System Failure

Post by Tigrin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:49 pm

Cool, I liked the flow of the clips, though I felt like the only relation between Akira and the song was the 80s music and the occasional bits of flashback that connected to the lyrics...

Isn't the aspect ratio wrong? It's weird to see it squished horizontally into a 4:3 aspect ratio...

Anarchy Music Videos
Org Profile

Post by Anarchy Music Videos » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:06 am

Tigrin wrote:though I felt like the only relation between Akira and the song was the 80s music and the occasional bits of flashback that connected to the lyrics...
Exactly XD
Tigrin wrote:Isn't the aspect ratio wrong? It's weird to see it squished horizontally into a 4:3 aspect ratio...
I don't know, the original video is 16:9 anamorphic, but I had to use vegas default setteings to write the mp4 and keep it under 150 MB.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:44 pm

Tigrin wrote:Isn't the aspect ratio wrong? It's weird to see it squished horizontally into a 4:3 aspect ratio...
I think you might want to check your media player's settings, this video played back in 16:9 by default for me.

Anyway, this was a great video. I liked the focus on mood and aesthetic; even though lyrically the song didn't seem like it was the best fit, the feeling of the song really matched the editing and scene selection. The '80s connection between the two sources was enough for me, this was a nice throwback old-school video with simple editing and I really liked it.

Tigrin
Org Profile

Post by Tigrin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:24 am

Anarchy Music Videos wrote:
I don't know, the original video is 16:9 anamorphic, but I had to use vegas default setteings to write the mp4 and keep it under 150 MB.
Okay, apparently it loads in a 4:3 aspect ratio in Quicktime, but a 16:9 in VLC. The image size is 640x480 which is definitely 4:3. It looks like it's because you're using a 1.333 pixel aspect ratio... I guess Quicktime isn't able to read a PAR that isn't square. Is your project also in a 1.333 ratio, or is that just part of the export settings? In general it's probably best to keep it square... I imagine anything else could be an issue if you're submitting to conventions or something, or if I guess people are dumb like me and use Quicktime...

Anarchy Music Videos
Org Profile

Post by Anarchy Music Videos » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:15 pm

Tigrin wrote:
Okay, apparently it loads in a 4:3 aspect ratio in Quicktime, but a 16:9 in VLC. The image size is 640x480 which is definitely 4:3. It looks like it's because you're using a 1.333 pixel aspect ratio... I guess Quicktime isn't able to read a PAR that isn't square. Is your project also in a 1.333 ratio, or is that just part of the export settings? In general it's probably best to keep it square... I imagine anything else could be an issue if you're submitting to conventions or something, or if I guess people are dumb like me and use Quicktime...
No it's just in the export settings, the project is 720x576. If I'm not wrong flagging the allow vegas to adjust frame size option, the Mp4 video is compatible with the most of video player, and for sites like YT. Without the adjust frame size option mp4 videos have those black strips around the image after conversion.
CrackTheSky wrote: Anyway, this was a great video. I liked the focus on mood and aesthetic; even though lyrically the song didn't seem like it was the best fit, the feeling of the song really matched the editing and scene selection. The '80s connection between the two sources was enough for me, this was a nice throwback old-school video with simple editing and I really liked it.
Ha! Thank you!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Anarchy Music Videos wrote:I don't know, the original video is 16:9 anamorphic, but I had to use vegas default setteings to write the mp4 and keep it under 150 MB.
For future reference, this is a poor way to encode your video -- you're much better off exporting the video from Vegas with a lossless codec like Lagarith or UTVideo and then using ZarxGUI to encode to .mp4. More info on how to do this can be found here, near the bottom.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Pretty cool, I liked the flow of this, never heard the song before but it certainly suits the mood here. I didn't think I wanted to watch another Akira AMV but it was time well spent.
Tigrin wrote:Okay, apparently it loads in a 4:3 aspect ratio in Quicktime, but a 16:9 in VLC.
This caused me a great deal of stress in the past.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”