Still Waiting [AMV]

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

Still Waiting [AMV]

Postby Cirera » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 am

I know what you're thinking. The last thing this world needs is another Shingeko no Kyojin video. And you're right. But please don't shoot it down immediately because of that!

This one's special to me, though. It started out as very personal, but when I started getting into it, I realized I can actually make something good out of this. So instead of a one hour vent video, I actually put in the effort to lyric sync, editing, effects, timing. Like the good old days.

I know some people, if not most, will rain on my parade. It has mistakes, and some things need changing. But I'm pretty damn happy with this project. And I hope you like it, too. Oh yeah and MAJOR spoiler alert if you haven't watched the anime!

YouTube link for those too lazy to download. I do recommend downloading, as YouTube loves to rape the quality. And the YT upload has two small clip glitches that are fixed in the uploaded versions.

"No seizures" Christmas special!!

Aka flash-free no-filter bonus version
YouTube || MediaFire

I'd love some feedback, good and bad!
Last edited by Cirera on Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cirera

Re: Still Waiting [AMV]

Postby CrackTheSky » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:06 pm

Was hoping I'd like this as much as your recent Sailor Moon video, buuuuut I didn't. It's a very generic SnK video. There were a few things that just kinda bothered me -- for one, the light blue filter you put over the source looked...not good. On A Little Pain it worked because it helped give that video an old, faded look which really contributed to the old-school feel you were kinda trying to capture. That look doesn't work with this source, it just looks odd. The other thing I wasn't too crazy about was the rapid white flashes on the drum rolls. For action videos, at least in my opinion, that's one of the most boring ways to sync drum rolls.

The biggest problem though is the one you're already aware of -- it's another SnK video in a sea of SnK videos. I think I have yet to see one that doesn't feel different from all the others. It just wasn't very interesting to me, I guess.

Still, the editing was mostly tight and there wasn't anything technical to complain about. Looking forward to your next video!
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby Cirera » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:43 pm

Thank you so much for commenting!

I agree completely about the sea of SnK videos, that's the main reason I have avoided the footage so far. Like I said in the description of the video, this started out as a rage / vent video to make me feel better (which it did), and the only fitting footage to the song I had was SnK. I struggled with it for HOURS, trying to start the video and smacking myself for not finding anything else that fits!

The blue filter: you're right. Honestly, it doesn't work that well, and the reason it's there is because this video ORIGINALLY had typography. On a dodge layer. After watching it over and over however, I started to hate the text. The reason I wanted the lyrics to be on the screen was because this was a very personal video, so the lyrics meant a lot. But the text took too much attention from the video so I went and got rid of it all. And then I kinda just had gotten used to the filter so I left it there. Also, the video has an insane amount of contrast in it and that wouldn't have worked without the filter.

As for the flashes, you're right again! In the parts right before the chorus I had edited an overlay layer with clips on it, but basically the problem is, they were so fast that no one could figure out what was there. And also, I was afraid it would throw me back into my, well, "own" style which I'm trying to get out of with the new start. I made pretty insane videos and ignoring the beat was never an option. OH WELL. But yeah, I wanted you to know it wasn't a lazy choice, I tried it both ways and went with this option.

I'm really grateful for your comment, I simply adore your feedback and honesty! Thank you so, so much!
Cirera

Postby Knowname » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:29 pm

Wow I really like the format of this announcement xD so I'll watch your video xD
(yeah unfortunately CERTAIN PPL :awesome: don't take announcement threads as announcements rather act like errors must be pointed out as if they can be ironed out :| c'est la vie!) No j/p playin Ben xD

I'm cool with pointin out errors so maybe you don't repeat it in later vids but, it just ruins the mood sometimes ya know? I'll just say.. glad this worked out for ya, I didn't leave a QC since action 'vent' videos aren't my thing. but sounds like a stress release and a creative way of doing so least your not out taggin up the bus stops :) or something.

On the 'flashes' gosh Crackers take a chill pill xD It's annoying but that's what makes a 'vent' video sometimes you just gotta include something that is annoying JUST to show how annoyed you really are. It's therapeutic xD no IDK :rofl: but I do find that to be the case sometimes....
If you do not think so... you will DIE
Knowname

Postby CrackTheSky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:05 pm

Cirera wrote:I agree completely about the sea of SnK videos, that's the main reason I have avoided the footage so far. Like I said in the description of the video, this started out as a rage / vent video to make me feel better (which it did), and the only fitting footage to the song I had was SnK. I struggled with it for HOURS, trying to start the video and smacking myself for not finding anything else that fits!

Eh, it's fine, make what you want :P Especially if this was for personal reasons, which it clearly was. I like that aspect of it, actually, even if I don't particularly connect with it on the same level. I have a lot of respect for editors who use editing as a means of personal emotional expression.

Cirera wrote:The reason I wanted the lyrics to be on the screen was because this was a very personal video, so the lyrics meant a lot. But the text took too much attention from the video so I went and got rid of it all. And then I kinda just had gotten used to the filter so I left it there. Also, the video has an insane amount of contrast in it and that wouldn't have worked without the filter.

Yeah, good call on not having the lyrics on-screen. Not sure if you mean just select lyrics from the song, or all the lyrics kinda like a karaoke video, but either way it almost definitely wouldn't have worked. Using text is already a very touchy, difficult-to-do thing, for a video like this I don't see it working.

But the large amount of contrast? I don't get that...contrast usually isn't a bad thing, unless it washes out all the mid-tones, which simply putting a blue filter over wouldn't really have fixed. Could you possibly screenshot what it looked like raw?

Cirera wrote:As for the flashes, you're right again! In the parts right before the chorus I had edited an overlay layer with clips on it, but basically the problem is, they were so fast that no one could figure out what was there. And also, I was afraid it would throw me back into my, well, "own" style which I'm trying to get out of with the new start. I made pretty insane videos and ignoring the beat was never an option. OH WELL. But yeah, I wanted you to know it wasn't a lazy choice, I tried it both ways and went with this option.

To each his/her own. I probably would have preferred the overlain clips, but that's just my opinion. Honestly for fast drum rolls I like to see internal sync more than flashes anyway. It's cool that you're trying to adopt a new style...good luck though, it's not easy :P Not sure how long you've been editing, but (speaking from experience) once you start doing certain things consistently through multiple videos, it becomes really hard to do it any other way. At least, that's what I've found.

Knowname wrote:Wow I really like the format of this announcement xD so I'll watch your video xD

Yeah Cirera's cool, she can stay :up: And check out her Sailor Moon video, it's goooooood and it needs more love.
CrackTheSky
Fancy Balls

Postby Cirera » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Knowname wrote:Wow I really like the format of this announcement xD so I'll watch your video xD
(yeah unfortunately CERTAIN PPL :awesome: don't take announcement threads as announcements rather act like errors must be pointed out as if they can be ironed out :| c'est la vie!) No j/p playin Ben xD

I'm cool with pointin out errors so maybe you don't repeat it in later vids but, it just ruins the mood sometimes ya know? I'll just say.. glad this worked out for ya, I didn't leave a QC since action 'vent' videos aren't my thing. but sounds like a stress release and a creative way of doing so least your not out taggin up the bus stops :) or something.

On the 'flashes' gosh Crackers take a chill pill xD It's annoying but that's what makes a 'vent' video sometimes you just gotta include something that is annoying JUST to show how annoyed you really are. It's therapeutic xD no IDK :rofl: but I do find that to be the case sometimes....

Thank you~!! >w< I'm so happy you watched it and took the time to comment!

And honestly, I LOVE it when people actually comment on parts they liked, disliked or even felt pure hatred towards. Like you said, it's how you learn. I take all feedback into consideration, good and bad and try to improve with them. Not trying to say I blindly follow the criticism I get, I do have my own opinions as well, but... yeah!

I'm sorry about the flashes :'D I think they're just supposed to be there, I'd still be kicking myself if I had ignored the rhytm at those parts, and yeah, I still wanted people to be able to see what's going on so there you have it. If this hadn't started out as a vent video, I would've spent more than 10 hours on this, but I basically just wanted it done ASAP and get it out and show my friends "Yeah. THAT'S how annoyed I was. But I'm cool now."

ANYWAY!
I loved your feedback and your attitude, so this made me really happy. Again, thank you. :3

CrackTheSky wrote:But the large amount of contrast? I don't get that...contrast usually isn't a bad thing, unless it washes out all the mid-tones, which simply putting a blue filter over wouldn't really have fixed. Could you possibly screenshot what it looked like raw?

I went to screenshot it but y'know. Just for you guys, I am rendering a filter-less flash-free bonus version of the whole damn thing. And maybe you guys will love it, then. :'D

CrackTheSky wrote:
Cirera wrote:As for the flashes, you're right again! In the parts right before the chorus I had edited an overlay layer with clips on it, but basically the problem is, they were so fast that no one could figure out what was there. And also, I was afraid it would throw me back into my, well, "own" style which I'm trying to get out of with the new start. I made pretty insane videos and ignoring the beat was never an option. OH WELL. But yeah, I wanted you to know it wasn't a lazy choice, I tried it both ways and went with this option.

To each his/her own. I probably would have preferred the overlain clips, but that's just my opinion. Honestly for fast drum rolls I like to see internal sync more than flashes anyway. It's cool that you're trying to adopt a new style...good luck though, it's not easy :P Not sure how long you've been editing, but (speaking from experience) once you start doing certain things consistently through multiple videos, it becomes really hard to do it any other way. At least, that's what I've found.

Well, that's the best part of editing! Opinions are different and there is pretty much never a RIGHT / WRONG way of doing things. There are just different styles, levels of skill and opinions. ;w; But I swear never to edit flashes with boring white layers ever again, because from now on I'll hear a faint voice in the back of my head: "Lazyyyy~~"

I'm basically just trying to do something different for a change. I've been editing since the beginning of 2006, I was recently ran out of my old username by what you could call a bully, and since I'm having a change of scenery soon, I'm also creating a change in my editing. I don't want to let one idiot prevent me from doing what I love, even if I had to create a new "me". He won the first round, but I won the match.
So far it's been fun, my videos are a lot more easy-going and not so obsessed with the beats (this video is a very bad example of this statement!) and editing is fun when you don't have thousands of people expecting to be "amazing".

BUT that's enough about me. ^^;

CrackTheSky wrote:

Yeah Cirera's cool, she can stay :up: And check out her Sailor Moon video, it's goooooood and it needs more love.

I think I just died from happiness, thank you so much. I KEEP SAYING THANK YOU but I am honestly just so overwhelmed by all of this!

EDIT:
And here we are, filter-less flash-free BONUS VERSION from yours truly to my biggest fans:
YouTube || MediaFire

Yeah, I'm making you watch it twice. That's how evil I am.
Cirera

Postby Replay Studios » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 pm

thanks for including the clean version XD
Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio

Return to AMV Announcements