AMV -Until Its Gone

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
sayWut
Org Profile

AMV -Until Its Gone

Post by sayWut » Thu May 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Decided to make an amv after 8 months, and yes the audio is "hmmm" I did rush it a bit as I was running out of time untill i had to go back to work!
Criticism would be much appreciated!

aesling
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Re: AMV -Until Its Gone

Post by aesling » Tue May 13, 2014 7:19 pm

Well, let me begin with the obligatory "Linkin Park is overused". Now that that's out of the way, onward!

There were things about I liked and didn't like about the video. Most importantly, please, for the love of gods, fix your audio. I was wearing headphones when I opened it, and thankfully Windows Media Player was already open at low volume or my eardrums probably would have burst. I'm honestly not sure if that's hyperbole.

I also think the glow effect needs to be toned down a lot. It got to the point where a lot of what was going on was hidden behind glow, which makes the action hard to follow when you're trying to build your own narrative. I rather suspect you were trying to make all your assorted sources look like one source, but it really doesn't help if it makes what's going on harder to make out.

I'm also not entirely sure how I feel about the use of the text. I don't think using text is necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. It looked nice for the most part (disclaimer: real typeface snobs may or may not agree, I have no idea). However, when you first started using it especially, you were using too much of it and it became incredibly distracting. I was also not a huge fan of the part where the letters were drifting apart.

All of that said, I think there may be a good video lurking beneath all the shine effects. You seem to have a good grasp of sync, the flow seemed to be decent when I wasn't being distracted by text, and there were some genuinely powerful shots used at moments of the song to give nice emotional impact.
:ying:

sayWut
Org Profile

Post by sayWut » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 pm

cheers for the reply! yea the audio was bad, i had to change it due to youtube muting it, then when I posted it on here, i kept it the same as YT, im not to sure why tho..

I actually agree with all of your comments, ill try and turn down the glow effects, but I just cant help myself, I love adding glow, flashes or any form of general illumination, ive done a few or a couple amvs with text, I see where you coming from they can be distracting, still experimenting with text, I get a lot of mixed reviews about text on amvs. i personally will try and use less, ends up lagging vegas anyway.

Actually I wasn't trying to make the sources look as if they were one, i haven't really tried, i think i just over used contrast settings / vibrancy settings a bit much. which I may also have to work on!

Ah yes, Sync! I do like keeping up my sync so im glad that was spotted as well as flow! this was probs the first amv ive tried to make where its not random clips, i felt that this had more of a story perhaps?! But overall cheers for the reply, should make my next amv much better ^^

ProjectTwinsAMV
Org Profile

Post by ProjectTwinsAMV » Wed May 14, 2014 9:43 pm

sayWut wrote:cheers for the reply! yea the audio was bad, i had to change it due to youtube muting it, then when I posted it on here, i kept it the same as YT, im not to sure why tho..

I actually agree with all of your comments, ill try and turn down the glow effects, but I just cant help myself, I love adding glow, flashes or any form of general illumination, ive done a few or a couple amvs with text, I see where you coming from they can be distracting, still experimenting with text, I get a lot of mixed reviews about text on amvs. i personally will try and use less, ends up lagging vegas anyway.

Actually I wasn't trying to make the sources look as if they were one, i haven't really tried, i think i just over used contrast settings / vibrancy settings a bit much. which I may also have to work on!

Ah yes, Sync! I do like keeping up my sync so im glad that was spotted as well as flow! this was probs the first amv ive tried to make where its not random clips, i felt that this had more of a story perhaps?! But overall cheers for the reply, should make my next amv much better ^^
YES, very true :)
2015 - 2023 AMV Saboten Con AMV Manager
2019 - 2020 Kikori Con AMV Manager

imp
Org Profile

Post by imp » Fri May 16, 2014 8:46 am

a nice flow-y video!
I'm not really a fan of the (over) use of text, at some point I was actually more reading than watching the scenes.
But what I found most particular is, which words you put on the screen and which you did not, for example, there's a part where you have "till it's" on the screen but the long cry of "Goooooone" had no text which made it less powerful than it could have been.

The use of effects was quite nice, maybe a bit too many different effects here and there (and that over used lighting) but overall very well done.
Finally complete and up-to-date:
http://amv.impdevelopment.eu

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Post by Replay Studios » Sat May 17, 2014 7:15 pm

remove the text and this will be much better video ^^

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”