Fionn's Curse - Anime Boston 2014

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Fionn's Curse - Anime Boston 2014

Post by irriadin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:05 am

Best Editing - Anime Boston 2014
Editors Choice - Anime Boston 2014

The idea for this came from the 1.5 minute segment in Episode 9 focusing on Lancer's backstory. Lancer in Fate Zero is Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, a famous warrior from Celtic mythology. While he is the focus of a few stories, none are as famous as that of The Pursuit of Diarmuid and Grainne, which is the story encapsulated in Lancer's flashback sequence and the primary focus of Fionn's Curse. I highly recommend reading the following page, as it adds a lot of depth to Lancer's motivations and the tragedy of his demise.

A quick summary of what happens if you don't feel like clicking the link above: Grianne is to wed Fionn, the aging leader of the Fianna clan. Grianne is despondant, having thought she would be wed to Fionn's much younger son instead of Fionn himself. Upon laying eyes on Diarmuid Ua Duibhne, Grianne falls in love (due to a geas placed on Diarmuid in a previous adventure, he has a magical "love spot" that makes women fall in love with him). Diarmuid and Grianne run off together, betraying Fionn's will and earning his eternal enmity.

My interpretation of the story is rather straightforward; the book-ended scenes in the very beginning and ending are somewhat telling of what exactly is happening in Fionn's Curse. I prefer to not spell out my video's entire message, so I will just say this: Fionn, the old leader of the Fianna, is particularly vengeful for having his bride stolen from him. He bears such animosity that it can't be constrained by time. His vengeance surfaces in myriad ways; through people, events, and betrayals. Such is the nature of Fionn's Curse.

Beta Testers:
Daramue
Aria

Special Thanks:
Vivifx

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Re: Fionn's Curse - Anime Boston 2014

Post by VivifxAMV » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:13 am

This is my favorite AMV from you hands down. It is atmospherically awesome while telling a very good story. I feel like you took the pretentiousness of Disassociation and mixed it with the action of put your guns on. It is interesting to see how your style has improved since your earlier works\ - and it seems to be trending in a very good direction.

Shout out to your motion as well. Your motion is downright amazing in this. Those transitions be cray-cray.
irriadin wrote: Special Thanks:
Vivifx
D'Awwww is this cause I held your hand while you waited for AB results :awesome:
ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 am

VivifxAMV wrote:This is my favorite AMV from you hands down. It is atmospherically awesome while telling a very good story. I feel like you took the pretentiousness of Disassociation and mixed it with the action of put your guns on. It is interesting to see how your style has improved since your earlier works\ - and it seems to be trending in a very good direction.

Shout out to your motion as well. Your motion is downright amazing in this. Those transitions be cray-cray.
Thanks so much >< Yes, all the pretentiousness and the action, haha.
VivifxAMV wrote:
irriadin wrote: Special Thanks:
Vivifx
D'Awwww is this cause I held your hand while you waited for AB results :awesome:
That, amongst other things (like helping with the saber-on-a-hilltop transition and my almost-mental-breakdown that occurred as a result). And for being generally amazing |:>

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Afraid I'll have to be kind of down on this. Quite frankly, this felt uninspired and lacking in the spirit and panache (for want of a better word) that made me like all of your previous works so much. It's a shame, because I actually like the idea behind this video a lot, but for me it just really lacked the passionate creative force that I felt from your other videos. However, I will say that I admire your ability to construct a fully fledged narrative around something that was a relatively small element of the show in the grand scheme of things.
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:20 am

MouseBollocks wrote:Afraid I'll have to be kind of down on this. Quite frankly, this felt uninspired and lacking in the spirit and panache (for want of a better word) that made me like all of your previous works so much. It's a shame, because I actually like the idea behind this video a lot, but for me it just really lacked the passionate creative force that I felt from your other videos. However, I will say that I admire your ability to construct a fully fledged narrative around something that was a relatively small element of the show in the grand scheme of things.
Thanks for the comment. I'm sorry you didn't like it as much as my past works. I'm happy with how it came out, but in many ways I was constrained by the paucity of material available to fit my theme / story. Hopefully my future works are more what you are looking for!

Warlike Swans
Org Profile

Post by Warlike Swans » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:58 pm

This isn't my favorite of yours. I like the thought that went into the narrative framing, but the narrative itself is not very clear. Reading the summary I understand just how much of it I miss from the video itself. (Basically all I got was: guy is dying and has a flashback, had a lover back in the middle ages, flash forward [within the flashback] and he's fighting hundreds of years later, return to present.) For a video that's going out to cons, it would be better to have a narrative that is supported by text than a narrative that relies on the audience already knowing the story.

There's a lot of beautiful camera and transition work, but some of it is just filler. (There's a few sweeping background pans that detract from the action and the characters.) The use of Saber is an issue too, she has way too much screen time for a character that has no noticeable connection to the narrative/theme. That said, the pairing is very powerful and the mood is strong despite the occluded narrative. So yeah, it's still an enjoyable watch. Congratulations on your wins.

Cecco
Biscotto
Org Profile

Post by Cecco » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:42 am

I like a lot! Gj! :up:

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Post by Replay Studios » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:42 pm

great job man ^^

Magicflier
Org Profile

Post by Magicflier » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Great work :up:

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:12 am

I love Eluveitie. Unfortunately I don't think this song works for this AMV. It does not have the correct pace to fit such action scenes & the blur+pan transitions felt off.
Good work, but it doesn't work for me.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”