The Masks We Wear

This forum is to announce newly created/released anime music videos.
Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • All announced videos must have a corresponding entry in the AnimeMusicVideos.org database.
  • You may only make one new thread per week. If you have multiple videos to announce, either wait a week or add them to the same post.
Users that do not follow these rules may have their threads locked or removed without notice. It is recommended that all users read the sticky topics in this forum before posting.

The Masks We Wear

Postby Fizziks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:58 am

Image


The goal of this video is to highlight the dual nature of many of Darker Than Black’s characters, but in particular the anime’s main character, Hei. On the surface, he appears to be an amiable and kind person, but that belies his true nature as a ruthless killer.

I should note that, despite having been making anime music videos for several years, this is actually my first attempt at a more drama focused AMV. I’ve been meaning to use this particular anime and song combo to make an AMV for quite some time, especially because I love them both. In terms of editing style, I went decidedly “old-school” (i.e. simple and straight-forward editing). There are a couple of reasons for this: 1) I felt that “straight-forward” editing was the best way to convey the AMV’s concept, and 2) call it a bit of nostalgia, but I miss the days when I started making MVs by doing simpler videos.

Comments and opinions are always appreciated! Hope you enjoy it!
Image
User avatar
Fizziks
 
Joined: 11 May 2006

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby Flame-X » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:08 pm

Not bad. Straight-forward indeed and good first attempt for drama type AMV.
User avatar
Flame-X
 
Joined: 21 Nov 2005
Location: Illinois
Status: In Silence

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:11 pm

Like I said when you PM'ed me for beta testing, I get the impression you were going for a clean style of editing, and it turns out quite well that way. Like, I can focus on the images that I'm seeing, and actually think about them in relation to the words-- as opposed to passively watching the images go by :)

Great title too :up: It really gets me thinking about the faces as I'm watching the video.
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby Fizziks » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:57 pm

Flame-X wrote:Not bad. Straight-forward indeed and good first attempt for drama type AMV.

Thanks man, glad you liked it, and thanks for the help! :)

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Like I said when you PM'ed me for beta testing, I get the impression you were going for a clean style of editing, and it turns out quite well that way. Like, I can focus on the images that I'm seeing, and actually think about them in relation to the words-- as opposed to passively watching the images go by :)

Great title too :up: It really gets me thinking about the faces as I'm watching the video.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea these days, but I still believe that videos using a "clean" editing style are still worthwhile to do. That being said, the next video I plan to do will be a lot more technically complicated than this one. In any case, thanks for your suggestions for my video! :)
Image
User avatar
Fizziks
 
Joined: 11 May 2006

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby Animated » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:58 am

I think you know my opinion about this :wink: In the end, the biggest flaw I can find is not the old school editing itself, but the lack of tension when the song comes to its peak, I just wish it could all end with a dynamic finale... But flaws apart, this is a great reminder of good old days, when scene selection and lyric sync was more important than just "effects". If only the newest editors knew how it all started...

Now, show us your real talent pal! :awesome:
Image
Image
User avatar
Animated
Drama Text Cop
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Location: Athens, Greece
Status: Texty :3

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby Fizziks » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:24 pm

Animated wrote:I think you know my opinion about this :wink: In the end, the biggest flaw I can find is not the old school editing itself, but the lack of tension when the song comes to its peak, I just wish it could all end with a dynamic finale... But flaws apart, this is a great reminder of good old days, when scene selection and lyric sync was more important than just "effects". If only the newest editors knew how it all started...

Now, show us your real talent pal! :awesome:

Thanks for the comment! :) Don't worry, I'm going to go for something more ambitious the next time around.
Image
User avatar
Fizziks
 
Joined: 11 May 2006

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby M'o'l » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:47 am

Ending felt a bit abrupt, but i enoyed this, also i felt when there were more guitar stuff it could match a bit of them :). Pretty solid job :up: .
GO MAGIC CARP USE SPLASH ATTACK.
User avatar
M'o'l
Strawberry Pie
 
Joined: 22 Feb 2007
Location: Sweden
Status: Problem, Officer?

Re: The Masks We Wear

Postby Fizziks » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:33 am

Milk Or Life! wrote:Ending felt a bit abrupt, but i enoyed this, also i felt when there were more guitar stuff it could match a bit of them :). Pretty solid job :up: .

Glad you liked it! :) With regards to the ending, I actually wanted to stretch the final scene out by slowing it down, but when I did that, there was a noticeable "jerkiness" to the footage, so I decided to keep the final scene at its normal speed.
Image
User avatar
Fizziks
 
Joined: 11 May 2006


Return to AMV Announcements

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hamstar138 and 4 guests